Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,073

1 members and 3,072 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 492 Posts

Re: Wanting to switch terrariums- glass is a little much

Solid advice so far!

I haven't used them, but I've heard good things about the various PVC Exo Terra retrofit tops around the market. It's the way to go if you need to keep a little extra heat and humidity in a glass terrarium. In my honest opinion, though, glass terrariums aren't the best option for keeping species that need conditions significantly warmer and/or more humid than the surrounding environment. They're best suited for species that like things at room or local ambients -- think dart frogs and North American species such as corn snakes.

If any royal keepers here are leaning towards investing in 4'x2'x2' PVC enclosure instead of retrofitting an Exo Terra, I would highly recommend that you do so. They're absolutely worth the expense up front in my opinion. On top the increased space for your snake, display value, and ease of maintaining temperatures and humidity, they're a lot easier to move with when the time comes. Your average 4'x2'x2' PVC enclosure only weighs about 50 lbs and isn't delicate like glass. Believe me when I say that your movers will thank you!

With any 4'x2'x2', you'll want to get screens installed if there's even a chance you using heat bulbs, deep heat projectors, UV lighting, and/or powerful LEDs (like JungleDawns) some day. Internally mounting these heat and light sources in a 4'x2'x2' does not work! They give off a lot of heat when they're on, so much so that the LEDs and UV lights are functionally unregulated heat sources. They will overheat your enclosure if they're all internally mounted. Again, speaking from experience here -- I have a 24" UV bulb inside a 4'x2'x2' with an RHP, and I've been having trouble generating a basking spot without overheating the cage this summer. It's at the point that I'm looking to take out the RHP and install a screen for an externally mounted basking light/heat source. The UV light is capable of raising ambient temps enough on its own.

As far as cage makers go: Focus Cubed, Animal Plastics, Custom Reptile Habitats/Maximum Reptile, and Kages all make good stuff. Focus Cubed and Custom Reptile Habitats/Maximum Reptile are your best options for enclosures with screens/enclosures designed for use with heat bulbs and UV. I actually just put in an order to Custom Reptile Habitats/Maximum Reptile this week for an Evolution 4 enclosure and was given a ~4 week lead time.

I hope this helps! If anyone wants to talk advanced enclosure stuff more, feel free to hit me up via PM/DM or in my "Adventures in Snake Housing" thread.
    0.1 Sonoran Boa sigma​: "Adelita" ('19 Hypo het. leopard)
    1.0 Boa imperator longicauda: "Kuzco" ('19 het. anery)
    0.1 West Papuan Morelia spilota​: "Pandora" ('20)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (07-11-2021)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123