Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,077

0 members and 3,077 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Unsure on Needed RHP wattage

Hi there,

I'm needing to get a larger tank for my BP and am planing on getting a 48"x24"x14" PVC tank.
    I'm currently using an uth and heat lamp combo with my 20 gallon and it was a royal pain to set up and inefficient in the winter. The guy who I've been talking to about building the PVC tank suggested getting a radiant heat panel. Never done that before, so I'm unsure what wattage is ideal for a tank of that size in a house that sits around 70-72*F, or the best rhp brands.

And yes, yes, I have a thermostat.

Any suggestions on wattage and brand would be very much appreciated!

Thanks

Re: Unsure on Needed RHP wattage

Quote Originally Posted by HugYourDucks View Post
    Hi there,

I'm needing to get a larger tank for my BP and am planing on getting a 48"x24"x14" PVC tank.
    I'm currently using an uth and heat lamp combo with my 20 gallon and it was a royal pain to set up and inefficient in the winter. The guy who I've been talking to about building the PVC tank suggested getting a radiant heat panel. Never done that before, so I'm unsure what wattage is ideal for a tank of that size in a house that sits around 70-72*F, or the best rhp brands.

And yes, yes, I have a thermostat.

Any suggestions on wattage and brand would be very much appreciated!
    The RHP's from Reptile Basics https://www.reptilebasics.com/rbi-radiant-heat-panels and from Pro Heat https://pro-products.com/pro-heat/

are the 2 I've seen mentioned the most, I have 2 from Reptile Basics waiting to be installed when my enclosures are finally shipped

no other experience except for that though.

Here is info from Reptile Basics

https://www.reptilebasics.com/radiant-faq

"
    Which size do I need?
    We have tested the 40 watt panel in several 2'x4' cage designs including our own PVC and various thicknesses of plywood. Participants in this test have also included ARBREPTILES (Clay Davenport), Boamaster (Mark Venhorst) and other private breeders. We have all reached pretty much the same guidelines.
    In a 2x4 cage that is 12" tall or less in a room temp of 75° F+ you will see good results with the 40 watt RHP. The taller the cage the more likely you will want to set up basking sites that are elevated and closer to the RHP to give your animals a gradient. Generally taller cages 18" or taller are set up for arboreal use so this is not a problem. If your room temp is lower than 74 F or your cage is 12"+ you may want to move up to the 80 watt.
    Cages less than 2'x4' will generally work well with the 40 watt panel. Once again, height and room temp is a determining factor. We have had very good success with several Ball Python keepers in the Northern parts of the US using the 80 watt panel in our 2x3 cages. While normally a bit much for this size cage we have found this combination to work very well in the cooler room temps often found in these areas with the higher temp requirements of these snakes. Make sure you use a thermostat!
    If your cage falls into the 2'x4' or 2'x6' range you will want to upgrade to the 80 watt panel. The 120 watt panel is for generally for larger cages 2'x6' or larger, open air enclosures or cool room temperatures."