Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,981

1 members and 2,980 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Ball python doesn't really come out for long anymore...

Hi all! I'm new to the Forum and am still getting to know you guys...
    I have a blue eyed Lucy female ball python who used to come out all the time but now she doesn't come out much anymore and if she does it's not for long. She is healthy and eats well but she just doesn't really find interest in coming out anymore. Is this a problem or does it just come with age. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks so much!

Thanks

Re: Ball python doesn't really come out for long anymore...

She will be 2 in September by the way

Thanks
    Thanked 19,793 Times in 11,827 Posts
    First, what do you mean by "coming out"? You mean out of her hides? or out of her enclosure/cage to explore?

How often do you handle her? & for how long at a time?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Claire&snek View Post
    Hi all! I'm new to the Forum and am still getting to know you guys...
    I have a blue eyed Lucy female ball python who used to come out all the time but now she doesn't come out much anymore and if she does it's not for long. She is healthy and eats well but she just doesn't really find interest in coming out anymore. Is this a problem or does it just come with age. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks so much!
    Put a few branches in the viv ( hot glue them in place ) and it should be climbing around in the evenings ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

I mean out to explore out of her hides in the cage. I typically hold her once a day anywhere from 5-15 minutes but for example today we went to repticon all day so I didn't hold her which would be one of those days I didn't hold her at all.

Thanks

Yes, I have all sorts of climbing things in the cage like a big log turned vertical against the glass and some largish branches and lots of hanging plants (not too crammed though). She used to love coming out until the past couple of days especially. Could it be temperature related or is she just not interested anymore in coming out to explore?
    She is in a 40 gallon glass terrarium with screen lids and locks. Humidity fluctuates between 50s and 60s. Temperature stayes at around 80 as the the ambient temperature (using a heat lamp) with a cold side of 70s, and a heat mat that stayes at about upper 80s to 90 at the hottest.

Thanks

On a side note...

Kind of to add to that when she does come out she will very strongly scrape her snoot on her log a few times. She is all white so I would notice if she had any mites and I see none. I've read this can mean stress but I can't think of what it is she would not like. Is this normal or not do much?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Re: On a side note...

Kind of to add to that when she does come out she will very strongly scrape her snoot on her log a few times. She is all white so I would notice if she had any mites and I see none. I've read this can mean stress but I can't think of what it is she would not like. Is this normal or not do much?
    In my experience they don’t just change their behaviour unless they’re going into shed mode , have mites , have some issue / health problem or there’s a problem with the setup

Nose scraping is often the start of then getting the shed skin loose before it comes off ..

It’s rather difficult as all snakes and setups are all so different.

Everyone quotes their perfect temps and humidity levels but then we discover that they’re using useless devices like the ones shown below.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    Thanked 19,793 Times in 11,827 Posts

I mean out to explore out of her hides in the cage. I typically hold her once a day anywhere from 5-15 minutes but for example today we went to repticon all day so I didn't hold her which would be one of those days I didn't hold her at all.
    That's just as well, because you can actually bring home pathogens or mites from reptile expos or pet stores & give them to your pet if you're not careful. Best to shower & change clothes afterwards & before going near your own pets- mites & such are no fun. (mites don't "like" humans but could hitch a ride on your clothes, for example)

She might be going into a shed cycle-? They typically "lay low" even before we can see any changes that indicate a shed cycle- I'm convinced they can feel it coming- they also may refuse food then too.

Also, BPs are more active in the evening & night hours, so you might not be seeing her activity.

A few more things to consider: snakes are basically shy, not social pets. Handling her daily is likely more than she is comfortable with- she may be trying to tell you that. Being picked up (even when they "know us") still goes against their instincts: bear in mind that the only thing that picks up a wild snake is normally a predator about to have them for lunch. Some snakes are calmer or bolder than others too- just like us, they have their own personality. Perhaps yours is more of an "introvert".
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 07-04-2021 at 02:50 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (07-04-2021)

Thanks

Ok thanks! Definitely things to consider. The only animals I held yesterday at repticon were other cresties and I pet a very large yellow snake (I think a Burmese python) and I washed my hands before holding my snake back here at home and took a shower that night.
    Thanks again, I'll keep observing and check in later.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast