Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,405

2 members and 3,403 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

Stuck shed in an awkward place, should I try to remove it or wait?

Due to my health a couple weeks ago (dealt with a brutal viral infection) I wasn't on point with humidity during my BP's shed cycle and he had a really bad one. Bits and pieces everywhere and stuck shed all over his body.

Did some tub soaks (made sure to check water temps and that the levels were safe to prevent drowning) and managed to rub/very carefully peel most of it off with a damp towel and my fingers respectively, but there's still some left on his neck and on top of his head. As amicable as he is he understandably doesn't hold still well enough to comfortably remove the dead skin from such areas, and I didn't want to force things as he'd already been stressed enough.

To make matters worse all this happened right before I had to leave for a week-long vacation. I tried to spray the enclosure down to see if he'd naturally slough it off and his humidity hide was left available (though I think I need to get a bigger one as he hasn't been using it for some time), but no dice.

So at this point the stuck shed's been on there for a while so, what should I do? More tub sessions and try to get it off or wait until his next shed cycle and ensure it comes off with the next set?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    I had an experience with a girl I had purchased that had a shed like that and some pieces in the neck area just were not ready to come off even after soaking. I left her alone and they came off with the next shed, though that spot I did have to assist her with. After that, she has been doing full one piece sheds like she should.

The parts I would want to make absolutely sure came off are eyes, heat pits, and the tail tip. Any of those can cause bad problems.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Lord Sorril (07-03-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts
    Personally, I don't leave areas of stuck shed on snakes- they have to put up with my gentle persistence (using water) until it's gone. The scales on a snake's neck are often smaller & very prone to getting stuck (ditto for their heads- usually their chin is the worst though- might double-check that, it can be hard to see), & they don't seem able to deal with it- if you wait, it only gets more dried out & stuck.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (07-01-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: Stuck shed in an awkward place, should I try to remove it or wait?

Just get a very damp rough textured towel and wrap the snake in it - keep letting the snake slither around for a while and apply very gentle pressure to the area where the stuck skin is .

The skin will come off easily enough on the towel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

Today I finally sat down and went to work removing what was left. After close to an hour and a half I finally managed to rub off the last piece of stuck shed with a damp rag in combination with a bath soak between rubbing sessions. Kudos to my BP for not biting me during the whole process, I'm sure having his head touched over and over (where some of the old skin still was) wasn't pleasant, but he was a good sport all things considered.

Hopefully by next time he'll be in a tub setup I've been planning (I have a T10 on order but it will be who knows how long until it arrives) so humidity issues will be far easier to deal with compared to this horrendously clunky glass tank arrangement.

Last edited by Snagrio; 07-03-2021 at 02:01 PM.

Thanks
    An hour & a half is a long time for a snake to put up with "stuff" but I've found most snakes with stuck shed seem to be relieved when we help them out of it. And the gentle restraint needed to do this helps to reinforce that they're safe with us, even if they don't seem to appreciate it at the time. I've never had a snake bite me for such assistance.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    Today I finally sat down and went to work removing what was left. After close to an hour and a half I finally managed to rub off the last piece of stuck shed with a damp rag in combination with a bath soak between rubbing sessions. Kudos to my BP for not biting me during the whole process, I'm sure having his head touched over and over (where some of the old skin still was) wasn't pleasant, but he was a good sport all things considered.

Hopefully by next time he'll be in a tub setup I've been planning (I have a T10 on order but it will be who knows how long until it arrives) so humidity issues will be far easier to deal with compared to this horrendously clunky glass tank arrangement.

Try the damp towel trick I mentioned next time ..

They don’t struggle at all

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    An hour & a half is a long time for a snake to put up with "stuff" but I've found most snakes with stuck shed seem to be relieved when we help them out of it. And the gentle restraint needed to do this helps to reinforce that they're safe with us, even if they don't seem to appreciate it at the time. I've never had a snake bite me for such assistance.
    The timeframe was sheer inexperience and cautiousness on my end. I knew he was uncomfortable but I'm sure the prolonged discomfort of having that stuck shed on top of his head and neck was worse. I'm just happy I got it off safely at this point.

I have a rat thawing as we speak as a reward for his troubles at least. Even despite the ordeal he has his head poking out of the hide so I know he's hungry (and it is a feeding day anyway haha).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Try the damp towel trick I mentioned next time ..

They don’t struggle at all

The shed was REALLY crusty and hardened since it had been on there for two weeks (vacation plus other things going on after I got home) so I kind of mixed in your advice. Basically "petted" him with the rag with just enough firm but gentle force to slowly slough the skin off. Him just slithering under a towel wasn't going to be enough on its own I didn't think.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    The timeframe was sheer inexperience and cautiousness on my end. I knew he was uncomfortable but I'm sure the prolonged discomfort of having that stuck shed on top of his head and neck was worse. I'm just happy I got it off safely at this point.

I have a rat thawing as we speak as a reward for his troubles at least. Even despite the ordeal he has his head poking out of the hide so I know he's hungry (and it is a feeding day anyway haha).

At least if it ever happens again, he'll be less likely to think you're trying to kill him, lol. Snakes learn thru experiences too & they seldom hold grudges. Glad you got it done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast