Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,933

0 members and 2,933 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

When it rains it pours.....

Well, it's been a rough month. I was in the hospital earlier this month with a bad infection that was potentially life threatening. Monday night, Katie and I were celebrating having been together for 5 years and luckily, the new puppy, Alpha peed in her crate. We went downstairs at 1AM to put the sheets from her crate in the washing machine and saw water all over the floor.

Long story short...

The sewer pipe from our house (that goes from our house to the sewer at the street) broke in half about 20ft from the house. Sewer water/waste water was coming into the house from the downstairs/finished basement toilet and shower. It would have been 10X worse if Alpha hadn't peed in her crate - for the first time - and we hand't gone down to the basement to do laundry. We shut off the water and stopped using the toilets, etc.

Of course, this isn't a rosy story. Apparently homeowners insurance doesn't cover the pipe break and needless to say that was A LOT OF MONEY and had to be fixed immediately.

The good news is our homeowners insurance does cover cleaning up (which has been largely done) and repairing the finished basement, after our deductible.

So it could have been worse.

Yesterday we had to move all the reptiles upstairs in small containers so that we could move the tanks (all of 13 of them and bases, etc.) and have the floor around them and under them cleaned and have anti-microbial liquid sprayed on the floor and walls. While wet - about 45 minutes, the spray can be harmful to animals. However, once dry it is supposed to be 100% safe (it's a natural product and I discussed at length with the cleaning crew who has experience with animals, including reptiles). I let it dry for four hours and then cleaned every tank top to bottom (even though the spray is isolated on the floor and not airborne) and everyone went home last night. No one seems worse for the wear.

It gets better though. The person who owned our house prior finished the basement and for some reason he used asbestos glue to put in the paneling. So now the basement has to be abated before we can begin putting it back together.

When the abatement happens. The reptiles will go back upstairs for a day or two and their tanks will be shut off and wrapped in plastic to keep everything out. There is nowhere to put the tanks elsewhere in the house and that would be beyond difficult. The areas that are being abated (walls) will be sealed off as well, but I want to be extra careful and seal the tanks as well.

We are looking for the silver lining here and have an opportunity to reconfigure the basement and reptile area. We may move the tanks, and everything else in the basement, around and make better use of the space. My sister is an interior designer and Katie loves redecorating so that aspect should work out okay.

I am still recovering from the hospital stay and dealing with my other health issues, so yesterday was exhausting, to say the least. However, we did what we had to do and everyone is safe and sound.

I'll keep everyone posted. However, it's been tough of late. Good thing the reptiles are tough and flexible. Probably more than me and Katie are anyway, this has been a rough month.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-25-2021),EL-Ziggy (06-26-2021),Hugsplox (06-28-2021),Kam (06-25-2021),richardhind1972 (06-26-2021),WrongPython (06-26-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,533 Times in 877 Posts

Re: When it rains it pours.....

Sending prayers for a speedy recovery. And hope everything works out. Can’t wait to see your new snake room.

I am trying to be as positive as possible because I feel this post more than I should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kam For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-25-2021),dakski (06-25-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kam View Post
    Sending prayers for a speedy recovery. And hope everything works out. Can’t wait to see your new snake room.

I am trying to be as positive as possible because I feel this post more than I should.

Thank you, as always, Kam.

You hang in as well, brother.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Kam (06-25-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Thank you, as always, Kam.

You hang in as well, brother.
    I’m trying. I am getting some mobility again. But I need you to get better. You have been through entirely too much.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kam For This Useful Post:

dakski (06-25-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    After all this, I sure hope you have plenty of "clear weather" heading your way- now & for a long time. Has Katie recovered now, or at least gotten a handle on her mystery health issue?

So sorry you have had to go thru so much all at once. May your life become WAY more "boring" from now on...(& more budget-friendly too). Wow...just wow.

Hey Dave...you don't get to have ALL the drama, you know. Leave a little for the rest of us, huh? Oh, & Happy Anniversary!
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (06-25-2021),Kam (06-25-2021)

Thanks

... I am getting some mobility again...
    Some hugs for you too, Kam- Are you two in some kind of contest to fall apart or something? And you already had some home challenges...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 06-25-2021 at 09:58 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Some hugs for you too, Kam- Are you two in some kind of contest to fall apart or something?

I have an old injury that progressively gets worst. Now the crazy thing is I have always known of the injury but I pushed through it. That’s until could t push anymore and I was bed ridden for a couple of days.

Two dehydrated herniated discs that pinches a nerve in my lunar (L4 & L5).

I’m now getting injections in my back to ease the pain until they tell me to replace them. But thanks for hugs and making me chuckle. I needed that.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kam For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-25-2021)

Thanks
    But hey guys, look at the bright side, it could have been worse! -at least neither of you live in that building in Florida. I still can't wrap my head around that nightmare...

Thanks

I have an old injury that progressively gets worst. Now the crazy thing is I have always known of the injury but I pushed through it. That’s until could t push anymore and I was bed ridden for a couple of days.

Two dehydrated herniated discs that pinches a nerve in my lunar (L4 & L5).

I’m now getting injections in my back to ease the pain until they tell me to replace them. But thanks for hugs and making me chuckle. I needed that.

Hang in there, Kam. You're not the only one whose warranty has expired. It sucks having such "issues", but that's where we all are. Life just does that & there's always something else to deal with. I think the best we can do is focus on the good things* we have in our lives to get thru the difficult stuff. (*Your friends & family & pets & all the other things you enjoy...)

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    Oh my goodness. Sorry you are dealing with that. I've been through a similar nightmare and I can't imagine having to deal with that while still recovering from being sick. Glad you are staying positive! *hugs*
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

19. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

dakski (06-25-2021)

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast