Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,220

1 members and 3,219 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,534
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    A rack helps to get stable temps and humidity a lot compared to an aquarium style enclosure. The wait time is pretty long right now to get them from most places, but it might be a good idea to invest in one when you can. ARS has a version where you can have different sized tubs in the same rack, so you can upgrade to bigger tubs as they grow without having to get a brand new rack each size. It would be my top choice for a person who wants to have a small collection rather than a large one.

In the meantime, I'd avoid CHE if possible but sometimes for certain types of enclosures, it's what you get stuck with doing if your house is kept cold. Surface temps are more important than ambient temps because of how heat conducts. The ball python is going to pick up a lot more heat (or cold) from the surface it is on than it will from air. 75 ambient is fine, but below that might be a problem.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

greg.s (06-28-2021)

Thanks

Re: 3 differnt temp readings first tub/reptile setup

Quote Originally Posted by nikkubus View Post
    A rack helps to get stable temps and humidity a lot compared to an aquarium style enclosure. The wait time is pretty long right now to get them from most places, but it might be a good idea to invest in one when you can. ARS has a version where you can have different sized tubs in the same rack, so you can upgrade to bigger tubs as they grow without having to get a brand new rack each size. It would be my top choice for a person who wants to have a small collection rather than a large one.

In the meantime, I'd avoid CHE if possible but sometimes for certain types of enclosures, it's what you get stuck with doing if your house is kept cold. Surface temps are more important than ambient temps because of how heat conducts. The ball python is going to pick up a lot more heat (or cold) from the surface it is on than it will from air. 75 ambient is fine, but below that might be a problem.

thanks for your help. I'll check out those rack systems. does anyone have a good reference for something that is home made?

Thanks
    Unfortunately, covid has been really rough on small business and all three of the smaller places I have dealt with have shut down. :'(

Thanks

Re: 3 differnt temp readings first tub/reptile setup

Quote Originally Posted by nikkubus View Post
    ARS has a version where you can have different sized tubs in the same rack
    I don't know where my brain was when I wrote this but I meant to say Animal Plastics. ARS and Freedom Breeder both offer a way to put different sized tubs on a single rack, but their racks are a little cost prohibitive for most entry level hobby keepers, and you cannot switch out the tubs like you can in the AP one, you would have to have a separate level for each tub size.

This is the one I meant, sorry! https://apcages.com/products/ap375-medium-tub-juvenile
    Adult females would definitely need something a bit larger, but I really like these racks for growing up hatchlings to sub adults.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

greg.s (07-07-2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12