Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,059

0 members and 2,059 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

Re: What frozen mice breeder to go with? And possibly help with sizing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Oh interesting. I was told by previous owner they were feeding a fuzzy mouse once a week (but he didnt take from them for 2+ weeks before getting into my hands), but after feeding him one I noticed that it hardly made a bulge in his already skinny form so I started to question true sizing. He was super thin when I first got him so that may have caused confusion as well, but I was afraid of hopper mice being too large for him to handle. I guess they can take larger pray than I expected. I know about the 1.25/1.5x rule, but since he was bare bones and ribs when I got him I was a bit hesitant. I've been feeding him my remaining fuzzy mice about once every 4 days when he starts to prowl. I didn't wanna try feeding too large to prevent him from regurgitating at such a questionable state.
    Nothing wrong with starting off slowly if the snake has been neglected and isn't used to eating.

Is this your only snake? Shipping frozen gets expensive really fast unless you're placing a large order and filling the shipping box/cooler. You might have better luck if you can find a local breeder who will sell you a few feeders at a time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    .......Is this your only snake? Shipping frozen gets expensive really fast unless you're placing a large order and filling the shipping box/cooler. You might have better luck if you can find a local breeder who will sell you a few feeders at a time.

This is true, I use Perfect Prey or Big Cheese, depends on what's in stock at the time I order.

I'm ordering for 6 snakes, now 7, and I order 6 months at a time, So I can almost fill a box.

Doesn't matter how many in the box, It's $30.00 shipping from 1 package to a full box, So only ordering a few local might be cheaper

even it's more per rodent to start with. I'm in Virginia, so if your farther away the shipping could be more, which will raise your cost per rodent more.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gocntry For This Useful Post:

CloudtheBoa (06-22-2021),nikkubus (06-21-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Oh interesting. I was told by previous owner they were feeding a fuzzy mouse once a week (but he didnt take from them for 2+ weeks before getting into my hands), but after feeding him one I noticed that it hardly made a bulge in his already skinny form so I started to question true sizing. He was super thin when I first got him so that may have caused confusion as well, but I was afraid of hopper mice being too large for him to handle. I guess they can take larger pray than I expected. I know about the 1.25/1.5x rule, but since he was bare bones and ribs when I got him I was a bit hesitant. I've been feeding him my remaining fuzzy mice about once every 4 days when he starts to prowl. I didn't wanna try feeding too large to prevent him from regurgitating at such a questionable state.
    FYI, fuzzy mice are way too small for even a hatchling BP, unless it's undersized. Many BPs are started on hopper mice. If previous owner was feeding a "fuzzy mouse once a week"- poor snake!

Always make sure whether you're talking about mice or rats when discussing feeders- there's a huge difference between baby mice & baby rats, & not everyone uses the appropriate labels, which is why it's more helpful when actual weights are given (both for the snake & their prey items).

BUT, even though he's been underfed for a while, don't upsize too quickly or he may have trouble handling it. I'm sure glad you came here to ask about all this.

Last edited by Bogertophis; 06-21-2021 at 09:33 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (06-21-2021),hilabeans (06-22-2021),Hugsplox (06-21-2021),Kaz (06-21-2021),nikkubus (06-21-2021)

Thanks
    Second Big Cheese. The cheapest would definitely be finding a local supplier to cut out the shipping cost. But when I tried doing that the store would constantly be out of rats when I needed them. I gave up and just started ordering online. You may have better luck.
    Last edited by Trinityblood; 06-21-2021 at 11:55 PM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trinityblood For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-22-2021),EL-Ziggy (06-26-2021),nikkubus (06-22-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    The last three orders I made with RodentPro I got free shipping for spending over a hundred bucks for each order. My chest freezer is FULL! I made each order worth it to get the free shipping. I'm set on feeders for a good while.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

I’m going to be in the minority and much prefer RodentPro over Big Cheese. When I ordered from Big Cheese, about 20% of the rodents were underweight (below the advertised weight range). I think there was a YouTube video from someone else complaining of the same thing. Second their rodents are very bloody when thawed ( most likely from being vacuum packed). While that’s good for storing long term if you don’t need them right away, it is more messy. I’ve not experienced smell or bloodiness from RodentPro. And it’s free shipping over $100 right now and their prices are very comparable and they always have sizes in stock unlike Big Cheese.

Thanks

I’ve always used south Florida rodents and cold blooded cafe. Never had a issue with either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Since you mention you're in Montana, if you wanted to go with a more local supplier, there's The Rodent Barn out of Bozeman.

https://therodentbarn.com/

I haven't used them personally, but know a good breeder in Montana who uses them exclusively.

Thanks
    I prefer Big Cheese, but when they're out of stock, I use rodent pro. I'll have to check out Perfect Prey for next time.

Thanks
    Perfect Prey 100% - I've never had an issue with them and when my snake was growing and between sizes I called and asked for the smaller end of the range for the weaned rats if possible and while they didn't pre-weigh the rats, all of them were on the smaller end of the range. Their rodents are always clean and healthy looking too. No signs of overcrowding or stress either.
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12