Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,848

0 members and 2,848 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Pied BPs requiring different feeding technique

Ppl say BPs are picky eaters. I have had experience with 5 BPs now: 3 dont have pied and 2 pied Bps. The 3 that are not pied were fed live mice by their breeders and they would switch to FT rats and strike at the very first feeding attempt after I received them. The 2 pieds however didnt. I sold the first one because I didnt want to deal with the difficult feeding. I had to put her in a very small plastic container and leave her with the FT rat and cover them in the dark and the rat would disappear like a magic trick. I thought 20-30 years of special treatment wasnt worth it and I traded her up for another BP. Now, I just received another Pied and she does the exact same thing, wouldnt strike and I have to leave her with the rodent in small plastic container and hope that the rat would disappear. I wonder if this is a known issue with Pieds and if They will grow more confident and eventually strike at their preys as they grow bigger.
    Last edited by JAGpenguin; 06-18-2021 at 11:32 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    I don't have a large sample size, but in my experience they aren't any pickier than other BPs. I only have one right now, but I had three others a long time ago. All the het pied hatchlings I've had over the years have been pretty normal with food too.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Erie_herps (06-19-2021)

Thanks
    That's not a large enough sample size to make an interpretation. It's probably some miniscule detail and the three that eat are unusually good eaters. Plus you have different variables (previous food, types of feeding).