Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,200

2 members and 2,198 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Behavior changes after switching to paper towels

Hi there. I have BPs younger than 1 yo and I place them in 36x18 terras. I used to use coco husk for substrate and I usually saw the BPs being active between 7 to 10 pm. They also used to pee and poop after 4-5 days since last meal. However humidity was very high since it is always hot and humid here and my exoterra combometer would say the humidity ranged between 68-80%. So I changed the substrate to paper towels, but since then I havent seen my BPs roam at all, They would just hide almost 24/7. They also havent pooped or peed. I wonder if it is just stress adapting to new substrate or if it is something else. I am thinking of using unprinted newspaper in the long run because I am traumatized by mites every time I buy something from reptile shops. Please give me your thoughts about the behavioral changes.
    Last edited by JAGpenguin; 06-18-2021 at 11:04 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,794 Times in 11,828 Posts
    Yes, I think the substrate change has them a little stressed, but they'll get over it. I wouldn't use newspaper, as it's even slicker- and what your snakes are missing right now is the good traction they got from the coco husk substrate. They have difficulty moving on smooth surfaces, & at least paper towels offer a little. I think the lack of defecation is just coincidence, or because they're hiding more (& moving around less- it's motion that often 'inspires' them to go).

Just a suggestion, as far as substrates go: (one that won't add to humidity, but also no chance of bringing home mites) You might try lining the floor with paper towels, but on top of that, add a layer of shredded clean paper. Buy a paper shredder if you don't already have one- they're good anyways, for making sure no one fishes your account information from your trash- just shred all those old bills/bank statements (& even clean brown paper bags, etc) & let your snakes enjoy the paper shreds for substrate. I use it all the time, btw.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

JAGpenguin (06-18-2021),nikkubus (06-19-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

Re: Behavior changes after switching to paper towels

Quote Originally Posted by JAGpenguin View Post
    I am thinking of using unprinted newspaper in the long run because I am traumatized by mites every time I buy something from reptile shops.
    During QT your snakes should be on white paper towels or unprinted newspaper so you can find mites quickly. After battling mites twice now, I figure every incoming snake has mites and treat it, and I treat the enclosure the day before the snake comes home.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (06-19-2021)