Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,856

0 members and 2,856 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

PVC set up for BP

I think I’ve had enough of my tank set up. I’ve owned my snake for 2 months almost and it’s just a constant battle maintaining humidity and heat. I don’t think I want to do a tub set up so I figured the PVC would do well? I hear Animal Plastics was a top dog in this. I’m a little confused how it all works. I can’t seem to find any videos on it. Is the RHP your source of ambient heat in the enclosure? You would have 1 or 2 of them in the enclosure for warm side and cool side? I could still use the heat pad as well correct? Also is it wise to use the Led lights they come with to cycle night and day? Would using just a water bowl under RHP give sufficient humidity?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    Depends. I'm going to assume your snake is pretty young. I would highly advise to do the tub thing unless it's really important to you how the enclosure looks. The reason I say this is that they grow so fast and really don't like to have a bunch of extra room, and hatchlings really thrive in a tub setup. Animal Plastics is so behind on orders, by the time you even got your PVC enclosure, it's going to be too small. Not to say you can't plan ahead and get one ordered that meets the requirements for an adult BP though!! If you want a really nice PVC display enclosure for a hatchling, see if you can find a local reptile shop that carries AP enclosures or something very similar and get an appropriate sized one for now.

When you do get an AP or similar enclosure, typically with a BP you would do belly heat because you don't really need a tall enclosure, and RHP is going to be more trouble than it's worth. If the room temps are really low, you may need UTH for hot spot, RHP for ambient temps to bring the cool side to correct temps. Each heat source needs its own thermostat.

As far as lights go, it's only for your benefit unless you do a planted enclosure. Don't go overboard with fancy lights, and try not to get ones that are really powerful because they will stress your snake. Whatever lights you do go with, they should be off or really low at night.

Water bowl is better on the cool side. While heat makes it evaporate more to boost humidity, water on the cool end is a nice way to cool down if for any reason temps are uncomfortable for your snake. In an AP or similar enclosure, you shouldn't be having crazy humidity problems. If humidity is running slightly low, using a good cocobark substrate and misting it every 1-3 days should do the trick.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose