Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,990

2 members and 2,988 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

30 gallon enosure

Hi everyone,

Question concerning UTH and Ceramic Heat Bulb.

My terra is 36x12.5x15.5 inches

Should I have my heat mat (on thermostat) on one side and my Ceramic Heat Bulb(on dimmer)in the other or both in same side or something completely different. (I have a bunch of thermometers with probes as well that will be going in the tank obviously lol).

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    Hard to answer this without knowing the ambient temperatures in your home or room where the enclosure will be: For the most part, you want a warm side & a cool (unheated) side so a snake can choose the temperature they need. The exception would be something like a BP needing a fairly warm temperature range (78-80* cool side & 88-90* max warm side) IF by not heating one side, it will be too cold for the occupant (like if you keep the A/C to the extent that it ends up being 72* or something), then & only then you'd need some minimal heat source to keep the "cool side" at the proper range for your snake.

Otherwise, normally, the heat goes on one end, a second source if needed might be more to the middle, leaving an unheated part (about a third of the floor) for safety & needed thermoregulation for the snake- they need to be able to choose the right temperatures as needed. Make sense? So place the heat sources where they will get you the temps your snake needs- and fully test them for at least a few days before the snake moves in- you might need to move them around again.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (06-16-2021),Hugsplox (06-15-2021),nikkubus (06-15-2021)

Thanks

Re: 30 gallon enosure

It is for a Butter Fire OD Ball Python.

Ambient temp in the room is between 69F and 72.5F

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Hard to answer this without knowing the ambient temperatures in your home or room where the enclosure will be: For the most part, you want a warm side & a cool (unheated) side so a snake can choose the temperature they need. The exception would be something like a BP needing a fairly warm temperature range (78-80* cool side & 88-90* max warm side) IF by not heating one side, it will be too cold for the occupant (like if you keep the A/C to the extent that it ends up being 72* or something), then & only then you'd need some minimal heat source to keep the "cool side" at the proper range for your snake.

Otherwise, normally, the heat goes on one end, a second source if needed might be more to the middle, leaving an unheated part (about a third of the floor) for safety & needed thermoregulation for the snake- they need to be able to choose the right temperatures as needed. Make sense? So place the heat sources where they will get you the temps your snake needs- and fully test them for at least a few days before the snake moves in- you might need to move them around again.

Thanks
    So then obviously you're going to need some heat on both ends of this enclosure. No heat added at one end would be too chilly for a BP. Trial & error as to placement, try it & test it for a few days until you get it where it needs to be. (UTH heat tends to build up- you may not see the ultimate temperatures as quickly as would be convenient.)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (06-16-2021)

Thanks

I live in Montreal Canada so we also have very cold winters lol

ok perfect thank you for the info.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Matty88 View Post

If it was for something like a corn snake, you'd only need some heat at one end, or maybe just in one corner, because they're comfortable at 70-72* ambient in their enclosure for the most part. But BPs need more warmth...

Thanks

For sure I've done a lot of research just also a lot of mixed info out there....so here's what I was thinking of doing.

Heat pad on cold side to heat substrate to 80F (it will be in a thermostat)

And then

Ceramic Heat Bulb for hot side to get the ambient air up to 88-90F (either on dimmer or pulse proportion thermostat)

Any takes on this?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Matty88 View Post
    For sure I've done a lot of research just also a lot of mixed info out there....so here's what I was thinking of doing.

Heat pad on cold side to heat substrate to 80F (it will be in a thermostat)

And then

Ceramic Heat Bulb for hot side to get the ambient air up to 88-90F (either on dimmer or pulse proportion thermostat)

Any takes on this?
    I agree about the "cold side" but remember that heat rises, so using a heat bulb on the warm side might not be enough to adequately warm the floor (insulating the enclosure could help though). Also, BPs need about 55% humidity (more in shed) so keep in mind that heat bulbs tend to remove a lot of the humidity, according to those using them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I agree about the "cold side" but remember that heat rises, so using a heat bulb on the warm side might not be enough to adequately warm the floor (insulating the enclosure could help though). Also, BPs need about 55% humidity (more in shed) so keep in mind that heat bulbs tend to remove a lot of the humidity, according to those using them.
    Ok good Info.....so what would you suggest for the hot side? A second heat pad and no ceramic heat lamp?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast