Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,867

0 members and 2,867 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Extra Measures to Prevent Escaping?

Quote Originally Posted by Gocntry View Post
    An old school metal clothes hanger cut to size might work too.

I'd test that out real quick but don't have one here to try.

Dug around and found one , It fits, so you might be able to make something with one of those

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gocntry For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-14-2021),nikkubus (06-14-2021)

Thanks

My two adult balls are in exos, no ones gotten out but if you look there is a spot for a lock, if you find something strong and not bendy like a solid bit of metal or even a thin pad lock it should do. That being said that's a bit small for him now.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesenugget View Post
    Anyways, you can try other tanks like the Zilla Critter 40 gallon breeder. Those are top opening cages that locks by pushing in the lid. At the front, you place a small stick into the 2 holes that are aligned at the top to prevent further escape (Make sure the tank comes with that stick, a lot of pet stores loses them for some reason. Alternatively, you can make your own using a Q-tip or something similar).
    Zilla also makes a front opening 40 breeder that has a latch and places on the top of the doors and bottom where you insert these plastic pegs that come with the enclosure for extra security. The concern I've always had with exos, and I may be wrong, but it doesn't look like there's anyway to secure the top of the doors. a Stronger snake or small one could in theory just push the top out and climb up and through.

That concern may be unfounded, but it's still a concern and the reason I've gone with other brands for my snakes. Now, I also know that these enclosures are expensive, and OP I'm not suggesting you jump up right now and purchase something different. I'm sure you can make this one work, I just choose not to use them because I've never really felt like the doors were secure enough for me.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-14-2021),nikkubus (06-15-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    Zilla also makes a front opening 40 breeder that has a latch and places on the top of the doors and bottom where you insert these plastic pegs that come with the enclosure for extra security. The concern I've always had with exos, and I may be wrong, but it doesn't look like there's anyway to secure the top of the doors. a Stronger snake or small one could in theory just push the top out and climb up and through.

That concern may be unfounded, but it's still a concern and the reason I've gone with other brands for my snakes. Now, I also know that these enclosures are expensive, and OP I'm not suggesting you jump up right now and purchase something different. I'm sure you can make this one work, I just choose not to use them because I've never really felt like the doors were secure enough for me.
    that's an understandable concern and I've run into lid issues with exo- I have tinfoil taped in place with heat safe heavy duty tape so that the mesh is totally covered except for where the heat lamps are (light-free heat emitters! no actual light of any kind) and there are small pieces that secure the lid in place but as it happens I have stuff on top of his tank and he has never touched the ceiling. I think he assumes the ceiling that is on the cool side of is toasty like it is on the hot side so he doesn't like getting too close. (Not hot enough to burn him, obviously, but quite warm)

i think I definitely didn't lock his tank properly that one night because it has been functioning fine and my faith has been somewhat restored, but I'll look into something to put in that little spot at the front of the tank where the lock has two holes. Someone suggested a wooden dowel and another suggested a clothing hanger. We will see!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smakemom For This Useful Post:

Erie_herps (06-15-2021),Hugsplox (06-15-2021),nikkubus (06-15-2021)

Thanks

Thought I'd comment that my two adult balls are in exos and the one moves around a lot and is a known escape artist but she has yet to get out of my exo.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cuddlykhajiit For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (06-15-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cuddlykhajiit View Post
    Thought I'd comment that my two adult balls are in exos and the one moves around a lot and is a known escape artist but she has yet to get out of my exo.

Yea I don't want to come off as claiming exo enclosures aren't snake suitable because I'm sure they are, I just don't use them. I keep crested geckos in them and love them, but the concern with the doors keeps me from trying them with anything else. Again not saying they're not suitable, I just feel iffy about them.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

cuddlykhajiit (06-15-2021),Erie_herps (06-15-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    Yea I don't want to come off as claiming exo enclosures aren't snake suitable because I'm sure they are, I just don't use them. I keep crested geckos in them and love them, but the concern with the doors keeps me from trying them with anything else. Again not saying they're not suitable, I just feel iffy about them.
    The only thing I dislike is how the lids can be a bit flimsy. My cat got on my girls tank and it's slumped in a bit. And the pad locks were kinda not a brilliant idea since I can fit my hand through the gap lol.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cuddlykhajiit For This Useful Post:

Erie_herps (06-15-2021),nikkubus (06-15-2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12