Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,967

0 members and 2,967 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 492 Posts

Re: Help with room ventilation

My first thought would be a Dutch door (ie. a barn door with independent bottom and top halves), but a cat could easily scale that, and they aren't meant for screened-in situations. I've had family cats who have forced their way through locked cat-doors/flaps (screened or otherwise), so a smaller-scale locked screen situation may not work.

Do you have central AC? If so, your best solution may be to add a new vent to your reptile room. It'll be expensive, but it may be cheaper than installing a new window. I can't think of anything else beyond adding a window and a window-based AC unit.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    0.1 Sonoran Boa sigma​: "Adelita" ('19 Hypo het. leopard)
    1.0 Boa imperator longicauda: "Kuzco" ('19 het. anery)
    0.1 West Papuan Morelia spilota​: "Pandora" ('20)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

Toad37 (06-12-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Not a bad idea. Obviously would have to fiddle with it until you get the temps dialed as desired, but it could work. Then when you need the room to stay warmer/heated you could hang a blanket or something over the vent to cover it.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not sure why I didn't think of putting a blanket or towel over the vent. That's definitely worth a shot! Thanks a ton!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Honestly I'd be worried that you could also end up with a mold issue with all that warmth & no ventilation. I know it's more expensive & more effort, but IMO the best thing would be an up-duct- with a fan, like they install in bathrooms. You definitely need something for that "room", so you're not cooking your snakes- they shouldn't be 84-85* with no options to be cooler, & what if something comes up where you can't be home to open things up sometime- you know, things "happen"- I wouldn't want to risk harming my animals.
    Mold doesn't really scare me because I gutted that entire room and used mold resistant drywall and paint. I knew the humidity in that room could pose an issue so I wanted to be preemptive on that.

As soon as I crack the door the room almost immediately cools down a few degrees but yes I do need to figure something out for the animals sake cuz I'm not always home.
    Last edited by Toad37; 06-12-2021 at 10:35 PM.
    🤘!MM4L!🤘

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Toad37 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-12-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WrongPython View Post
    My first thought would be a Dutch door (ie. a barn door with independent bottom and top halves), but a cat could easily scale that, and they aren't meant for screened-in situations. I've had family cats who have forced their way through locked cat-doors/flaps (screened or otherwise), so a smaller-scale locked screen situation may not work.

Do you have central AC? If so, your best solution may be to add a new vent to your reptile room. It'll be expensive, but it may be cheaper than installing a new window. I can't think of anything else beyond adding a window and a window-based AC unit.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    We do have central air and there is actually a vent only a few feet from the room. Without going into a ton of detail on how my house is laid out, I could put up a wall and then that vent would be in that room. It would add about 2 1/2 foot to that room so that might not be the worst idea. Thanks!
    🤘!MM4L!🤘

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toad37 For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (06-13-2021),WrongPython (06-12-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Gotcha, I guess I kinda glazed over the bathroom fan suggestion which would probably help a bit. I was just trying to find solutions that fit toads criteria which were not cutting holes in his ceiling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I know - I'll admit to ignoring that in favor of what I think is the best solution. Ultimately it's up to the OP- & he's in the best position to judge what will work best. Where I am, it was a miserably hot day- I'd just hate to see anyone underestimate the heat.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Toad37 View Post
    I have a 12" box fan in there that is always on just to circulate the air. I thought about cutting a hole in the door and putting a metal vent in it towards the top. Like the kind you would normally have in a closet that has a hot water heater or furnace in it. Would that let too much air out? If it were just a stationary vent that wouldn't open or close?
    You could put something like this in the door, one in the top and one toward the bottom

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Accord-Vent...-in/1000033685

Then you could control how open or closed they are and with a box fan blowing out thru one it should pull air in thru the other.

If the outer room has a/c it might pull in cooler air while pushing out how air, and you can close them up in the winter if needed.
    Last edited by Gocntry; 06-13-2021 at 08:35 AM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gocntry For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-13-2021),Erie_herps (06-13-2021),Toad37 (06-13-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gocntry View Post
    You could put something like this in the door, one in the top and one toward the bottom

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Accord-Vent...-in/1000033685

Then you could control how open or closed they are and with a box fan blowing out thru one it should pull air in thru the other.

If the outer room has a/c it might pull in cooler air while pushing out how air, and you can close them up in the winter if needed.
    This is kinda what I had in mind although I didn't think of putting 2. Thanks for the advice I might give the 2nd one a shot.
    🤘!MM4L!🤘

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12