Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,904

1 members and 2,903 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Advice on AP T10

I just received my AP T10 (6 months wait!) with a shelf and ProProduct RHP 100 watt. The problem is that the temp on the shelf is over 110 when the hot spot is about 90 on the floor. I’m just doing a trial run right now without my BP. I didn’t think about the fact that RHP would be very close to the shelf ( about 4 inches away). Should I cut the shelf in half since the other half of the tank is about 80. Thank you for your help.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,857 Times in 4,778 Posts
    You can, or just try setting the t-stat so the shelf is the 90* hot spot and then see what the other temps are.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bel2Balls (06-12-2021),Hugsplox (06-12-2021),jmcrook (06-12-2021)

Thanks

Re: Advice on AP T10

Where is your temp probe placement? Hot side or cool side?
    0.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Tynee)
    0.1 BEL Ball (Luna)
    0.1 Sunglow Boa (Pippi Longsnake)
    0.1 Woma Python (Uma)

WANT LIST
    - Mangrove Snake

- Russian Rat Snake
    - Eastern Indigo
    - Black Milk Snake
    - False Water Cobra
    - Rhino Rat Snake
    - Thai Bamboo Rat Snake
    - Western Hognose
    - Kenyan Sand Boa

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Charles8088 For This Useful Post:

Bel2Balls (06-12-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Charles8088 View Post
    Where is your temp probe placement? Hot side or cool side?
    Right now I have it few inches off underneath the RHP.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bel2Balls View Post
    Right now I have it few inches off underneath the RHP.
    I also have a T10, with a Pro-Products RHP. And, I'm using a HerpStat controller. Bob from Pro-Products had always recommended putting the probe on the cool side. I don't think there's a right or wrong location for placement, I just think you have to go with what works best for YOUR situation. For me, the way Bob suggested works very well. I initially did it with a T8, and then a couple years later got a T10. Now, both the T8 and T10 are set up like this.

But, wherever you set the probe, its good that you are doing a trial run. You're going to want to see what the temps are all around the enclosure... and make sure the coldest spot isn't TOO cold, and the hottest spot isn't TOO hot. A temp laser gun works great for this. In MY case, the probe was set on the cool side, a few inches off the ground on the back wall (see pic). I let it run for few weeks always moving the probe and testing. But... basically, with the probe where I have it, whatever I set it to, there's a 10-13 degree difference from the cool side to the hot side. So... for my bp, the t-state is set to 78 (cool side). The hot side (the bottom) gets to about 90. As I go up (as would be the case with a shelf which I don't use) it gets a little hotter as well. But, my girl is rarely higher than the floor (in MY case).

Also... the temps in your room might affect it as well. For me, my snakes are in the basement, and it gets as cold as low 60's sometimes. That's the ROOM, but the enclosure will never hit that.
    0.1 BEL Ball (Luna)
    0.1 Woma Python (Uma)

WANT LIST
    - Mangrove Snake

- Russian Rat Snake
    - Eastern Indigo
    - Black Milk Snake
    - False Water Cobra
    - Rhino Rat Snake
    - Thai Bamboo Rat Snake
    - Western Hognose
    - Kenyan Sand Boa

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Charles8088 For This Useful Post:

Bel2Balls (06-12-2021)

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I think my biggest problem is the shelf. It’s creating three zones in the tank( super warm on the shelf, hot side and cool side on the floor). I only got the shelf cause I always see her wanting to climb in her tub. I might have to get creative or ditch the shelf which is a shame cause it’s pretty cool and cost $40 additional.

I also have a T10, with a Pro-Products RHP. And, I'm using a HerpStat controller. Bob from Pro-Products had always recommended putting the probe on the cool side. I don't think there's a right or wrong location for placement, I just think you have to go with what works best for YOUR situation. For me, the way Bob suggested works very well. I initially did it with a T8, and then a couple years later got a T10. Now, both the T8 and T10 are set up like this.

But, wherever you set the probe, its good that you are doing a trial run. You're going to want to see what the temps are all around the enclosure... and make sure the coldest spot isn't TOO cold, and the hottest spot isn't TOO hot. A temp laser gun works great for this. In MY case, the probe was set on the cool side, a few inches off the ground on the back wall (see pic). I let it run for few weeks always moving the probe and testing. But... basically, with the probe where I have it, whatever I set it to, there's a 10-13 degree difference from the cool side to the hot side. So... for my bp, the t-state is set to 78 (cool side). The hot side (the bottom) gets to about 90. As I go up (as would be the case with a shelf which I don't use) it gets a little hotter as well. But, my girl is rarely higher than the floor (in MY case).

Also... the temps in your room might affect it as well. For me, my snakes are in the basement, and it gets as cold as low 60's sometimes. That's the ROOM, but the enclosure will never hit that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bel2Balls View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I think my biggest problem is the shelf. It’s creating three zones in the tank( super warm on the shelf, hot side and cool side on the floor). I only got the shelf cause I always see her wanting to climb in her tub. I might have to get creative or ditch the shelf which is a shame cause it’s pretty cool and cost $40 additional.
    My girl was previously in the T8, and I had the shelf as well. In MY CASE she wasn't using the shelf. So after a year's time, I removed it. I think if yours is climbing and uses it, I see no reason not to use it. Keep it in there. However, there's always stuff you can add in the center to climb. Either way, if you decide to leave it, you need to find the hottest zone, and then keep playing with the thermostat so that the hottest area is not too hot.

When I was testing mine, I was using a Herpstat 4, which has 4 probes. The heater was connected with one of the probes, and other 3 were just in there to easily measures temps all around the enclosure. If you have additional thermometers, you can spread them around the enclosure and do the same. Will take some time, but you are doing it right, testing now before you actually put it to use.
    0.1 BEL Ball (Luna)
    0.1 Woma Python (Uma)

WANT LIST
    - Mangrove Snake

- Russian Rat Snake
    - Eastern Indigo
    - Black Milk Snake
    - False Water Cobra
    - Rhino Rat Snake
    - Thai Bamboo Rat Snake
    - Western Hognose
    - Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks

I'm looking into an enclosure and I was debating about the shelf. Is the shelf the piece in the back opposite corner? If not could you add a picture of it so I can have an idea of what it is. Thank you

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Erie_herps View Post
    I'm looking into an enclosure and I was debating about the shelf. Is the shelf the piece in the back opposite corner? If not could you add a picture of it so I can have an idea of what it is. Thank you
    No, my picture doesn't have the shelf in it. I had removed it. The purpose of the pic was to show the temp probe placement. Maybe Bel2balls has a pic with his. Let me see if I can find an older photo with the shelf in it for you.
    0.1 BEL Ball (Luna)
    0.1 Woma Python (Uma)

WANT LIST
    - Mangrove Snake

- Russian Rat Snake
    - Eastern Indigo
    - Black Milk Snake
    - False Water Cobra
    - Rhino Rat Snake
    - Thai Bamboo Rat Snake