Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,850

1 members and 2,849 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

New to ball python's and just curious

I'm new to ball python owning and curious as to if mine and the other one are either chocolate or red type. I don't know since both came from a different pet store when we got them from PetSmart, the older one seems like a couple months older which is mine the smaller one is somebody else's. They both seem pretty tolerant of each other and I know it's probably not smart to keep them in the enclosure, but like I said just wondering what type are they like what would be a rough ideas, are they chocolate red or something else. Mine's is about 21.5" in the other is 16.5" in so they can't be very far from being a year old I would imagine if that sounds right. I'll put pictures up when I can sorry for the delay

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Re: New to ball python's and just curious

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter #7 View Post
    I'm new to ball python owning and curious as to if mine and the other one are either chocolate or red type. I don't know since both came from a different pet store when we got them from PetSmart, the older one seems like a couple months older which is mine the smaller one is somebody else's. They both seem pretty tolerant of each other and I know it's probably not smart to keep them in the enclosure, but like I said just wondering what type are they like what would be a rough ideas, are they chocolate red or something else. Mine's is about 21.5" in the other is 16.5" in so they can't be very far from being a year old I would imagine if that sounds right. I'll put pictures up when I can sorry for the delay
    First off welcome to the forums! I'm not sure if "red" and "chocolate" were just what Petsmart put on the tag to identify these snakes, but without pictures there's no way for us to even offer an opinion on what morph they are. Snakes from a big box store like this, there's really no telling what genes the snakes actually have.

Secondly, and I don't want you to think that anyone's here to jump down your throat, but you talk like you're co-habbing these two snakes. If that's the case the main concern folks are going to have, myself included, is husbandry and not genetics.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (06-08-2021)

Thanks

This is Cheshire

And this is Trezayah

And i'm new to dealing with Bp's cause i'm used to dealing with venomus such as timber rattlers, copperheads, and cotton mouths. as for thinking anything about people right now I'm just trying to learn more and they won't be staying in same enclosure for too long cause i want them both to feel comfortable and give them their own space even though are female as far as i know.
    Last edited by The Mad Hatter #7; 06-08-2021 at 08:27 AM.

Thanks
    The pictures you had up looked normal type, they seem to have gone now. They were slightly different colours, but within the range of a wild type. Were they the price of a normal wild type?
    If you can get them back there are other more experienced keepers that might see a bit more than I did.

I personally keep my ball pythons separately.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts
    Normal/Wild Phenotype that need to be housed separately regardless of their sex.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-09-2021),Hugsplox (06-08-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    You should house them separately even if they are both female, which isn't a good thing to assume anyway. They will be stressed from having to share the best spots in the enclosure which could lead to illness or refusing food. If they happen to be opposite sex, a lot can go wrong from them breeding before they right size or too often.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-09-2021),Erie_herps (06-08-2021),Hugsplox (06-09-2021)

Thanks

I got in contact with the pet store which was PetSmart they confirmed that they are both female and they're roughly about a couple months separation in age as far as for the normal / wild-type phenotype as you described how is that categorized only really understand venomous snakes more than I do ball pythons and yes I understand I am still currently in the works of trying to get a separate enclosure I already read up that it can stress them out and there could be issues with Illness but so far they both seem very quick to want to eat when it's Wednesday night which is when we feed him and as far as Behavior was they're somewhat Polar Opposites the younger one will move around periodically throughout the day just repositioning yourself the older one will move mostly at night only but for the most part they don't always stay in the same spots one will stay underneath a piece of bark in the enclosure and the other under a small little Temple looking structure boasts a pretty relaxed around each other no heavy breathing no head arching back no real aggressive behavior mannerisms they're drinking fine they're moving about slow steady Pace just enjoying the fact that they have a fairly good-sized 30 gallon enclosure and hopefully will soon have a 20 gallon for the younger one if not another 30 so they have plenty of space for both of them I do appreciate you all's comments about Michelle regardless of their sex and the fact that they need to be separate because of stress illness or the lack there in a wanting to eat I understand that but again I am new to this as far as ball pythons go but not new to the idea of being careful with housing the snakes that I do have which at the time I was dealing like I said with venomous one they're no different they are very picky about temperature when they want to be fed Which snake is in what box next to them there are so many different things about that that it's not funny believe me I understand needing to get them in different enclosures cuz I do like I said want to make sure they are both comfortable it's easier to keep track of when they've gone to the bathroom make sure that I know what they're going through and how they're doing from day today cuz throughout the day I will periodically check on temperature and humidity of their enclosure right now and I'm trying to keep it within a stable area from what I've read up and what I was told from PetSmart about so I'm trying to use both sides information to attend a balanced the area so that they can stay comfortable