Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,858

0 members and 2,858 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

View Poll Results: What to feed rescue girl... for first feeding only

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • The fuzzy mouse she is used to

2 100.00%
  • A proper sized rat pup

0 0%
    Thanks

new "rescue" ball

Last fall I noticed a BP not doing well at a retailer. It was dehydrated and very young. The store promptly took the snake off display and said they would take her to the vet. I figured she wouldn't make it until a month ago I saw a "special needs" snake back on display while getting pet feed. When I peeked in I saw it was her. I was glad she survived and she looked better. The staff wanted me to buy her as she had been "assist fed" fuzzies (mice) and "would only eat" when the snake was held and the mouse was touched to the snake's nose. They were doing this weekly on the advice of a vet. Of course they still wanted full price and I've only bought from breeders ...

Yesterday I went back for dog food and was given this lil bp, because no one wanted to buy a snake "needing" assist fed. It's okay as I'd kinda grown attached to her progress... The vet records are at least provided and show clean fecal, no RI etc. and she was finishing her shed as I walked in the store, all one piece and she is was no longer dehydrated and looks a good weight...no wobbles or wierdness in movement, no visible mites and she was checked for mites by the vet per her records when she visited. At the store she was in a glass aquarium with the red heat bulb and a screen top etc.

I have her (in quarantine of course) in a fully dark tub that's about 24x15 (she's very small, as small as my 3 year old male was when he was 6 mos., but she's a year old). She on heat tape (under with a thermostadt) with proper temps (checking with a gun and digital thermo/hygros on each end) 2 hides one hot one cold, repti bark, water etc. My plan was to try her first feeding after she is settled into a proper set up as if she will eat. She isn't starving...their records show weekly assist feedings for over 3 mos. But on on fuzzy mice... They did say the last few times as soon as a mouse touched her nose she would bite and then wrap it, not just swallow, and they did explain that while they did hold her to feed her they weren't actually forcing the mouse into her mouth and down her throat just toucher her nose with it.

My "poll" question .... for the hive .... What would you feed if you were me at first feeding... a fuzzy mouse that she was used to, but like a regular feeding or would you try a rat pup? (which would be the proper size rat for her) and how long would you wait to try and feed... (her last feeding was May 12). I want to stack as many cards in the deck in favor of moving to normal feeding with proper husbandry, though of course if she truly needs assisting we will do it, I just figure the husbandry issues and stress have to be a major factor. She is a pretty little mojave

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Mice has a different smell than rats, so I didn't vote in the poll. Once she is settled down, try a hopper mouse instead. If she takes it, let her eat 2 more meals, then up the prey size to small adult mouse. Then after she started eating and gaining some weight, try switching her to rats of the appropriate size. Imo, I get a better feeding response from mice than rats even when warmed up the same way, unless it already eating rats. After she gains some weight and eating on her own consistently, then try switching to rats (if she refuses at first, it wouldn't hurt for her to stay hungry until the 2nd or 3rd attempt when she may be more willing to switch to rats. Don't do that if the snake is underweight though).

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-07-2021),Erie_herps (06-07-2021),Hugsplox (06-08-2021),indyerin (06-08-2021),Lord Sorril (06-07-2021),nikkubus (06-07-2021)

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: new "rescue" ball

I agree with Cheesenugget. If a snake is having an issue feeding: I see no point trying to switch the type of food it has been fed until a pattern has been established.

There are no weights listed, but, fuzzy mice have very little nutrition and I only use them when I'm assist feeding a snake that is newly hatched and is approaching 'the point of no return'. It may be a good test to see if she will take one if left in the cage overnight, but, I would be offering/assist feeding 'hopper' mice that are 14-21 days old and have just started to open their eyes. I would offer live at first (always under supervision), then (if necessary) pre-kill and assist.

As far as the 'tap on nose': I would not use that method...the ball python may learn to associate the particular food item with a defensive reaction and you will have even more trouble.
    Last edited by Lord Sorril; 06-07-2021 at 09:54 PM.
    *.* TNTC

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-07-2021),Erie_herps (06-07-2021),Hugsplox (06-08-2021),indyerin (06-08-2021),nikkubus (06-07-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    Stick with mouse till she is really eating regularly for you and stable accepting food without assist, but slowly go up in size starting with hopper (or what rodent pro calls small mice). Fuzzy mouse is way too small and only makes sense for the type of assist feed where you try to get most of it in their mouth so it's hard to spit out (not quite force feed). If she is biting it herself and swallowing, or even if she makes you put it in her mouth but doesnt spit it out, it doesn't need to be so small. I wouldn't mess with switching to rats until she is eating regularly and looking the correct proportions because its easier to switch if you can let them refuse over and over rather than having to go back to what they are used to.

If she refuses, I wouldn't go assist feeding her every week the way they have been. Unless she is pretty underweight (and I mean she actually looks skinny, not just small for her age), she can go a few weeks without food and it might help her want to strike on her own. The sooner you get her doing it on her own, the better.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-07-2021),indyerin (06-08-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,794 Times in 11,828 Posts
    I wouldn't tap it on her nose either, but I'll bet she'll react just as well if it's just barely touched to her mouth or chin area. Good luck with her.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

indyerin (06-08-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    I would give a live fuzzy a go and see if she eats it. A fuzzy isn't big enough to hurt her so it could be left overnight.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (06-13-2021),GoingPostal (06-13-2021),nikkubus (06-08-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,794 Times in 11,828 Posts

Re: new "rescue" ball

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    I would give a live fuzzy a go and see if she eats it. A fuzzy isn't big enough to hurt her so it could be left overnight.
    Agree, & if you leave it in a shallow bowl* with steep sides (so it can't "disappear" under substrate or furnishings & a shy snake can watch it & feel it has the upper hand) you just might have an empty bowl by morning. I've found this to work with many kinds of shy snakes...they have all night to smell it, watch it under cover of darkness & pounce on it when their instincts finally wake up.

*Use a non-tip bowl (flat bottom) at least 6" across & 1.5"-2" deep.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (06-13-2021),GoingPostal (06-13-2021),indyerin (06-08-2021),nikkubus (06-08-2021)

Thanks

She ate! I'm so excited I could cry.

I knew in my gut she would eat when she felt secure. I left her in a dark tub without disturbing her for 6 full days. When i peered in she was peeking out of her hide in an s curve, so I warmed a pinkie and she ate. Next time a bigger meal. Struck and coiled like a hungry champ. Yay! Happy result and helluva deal on a mojave.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to indyerin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-13-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

Re: She ate! I'm so excited I could cry.

Quote Originally Posted by indyerin View Post
    I knew in my gut she would eat when she felt secure. I left her in a dark tub without disturbing her for 6 full days. When i peered in she was peeking out of her hide in an s curve, so I warmed a pinkie and she ate. Next time a bigger meal. Struck and coiled like a hungry champ. Yay! Happy result and helluva deal on a mojave.
    Mouse or rat pinkie? A mouse pinkie isn't much of a meal because ball pythons typically can eat mouse hoppers when they pip, so she'll likely be hungry again in 2-3 days.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-13-2021)