Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,936

3 members and 2,933 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I don't bring them in mostly because it wouldn't be in the interest of my snakes or lizards (unless they are sick). I cringe every time I watch the exotic vet tv show where the vet intervenes by force feeding a boa or python because it didn't eat for 2 weeks or reading comments from their clients thanking the vet for doing a fecal for a new corn snake or baby ball python that they just purchased.

In my own experience, I too had different exotic vets request to treat for things that are not necessary. For example, unless you are feeding wild prey or you have a wild caught/import snake, the frozen thawed human bred rodent prey is safe to feed to your captive bred snake whose parents are also captive bred (ie popular pet snakes like corns). I hesitate deworming for lizards, and I would only consider it if it's a lizard that only eats live insects and had been feeling lethargic. Deworming your reptile can upset the gut flora, which can make your reptile feel worse. You are not just killing the parasites, you are also introducing poison that can hurt your reptile if the dose isn't correct and you are destroying good gut flora too. If your reptile is healthy, they should be able to keep any parasite load in check on their own (their immune system can handle minor issues). Keep in mind that ALL animals, including people, can get a parasite here and there from the food we eat (ie raw fish and pork), the dirty surfaces we touch (ie letting your dog lick you after they lick their butt when they may be carrying worms), etc. Most of the time, the parasite enter the wrong host or the temperature or environment isn't suitable, and they end up dying on their own or killed by the immune system.

So long story short: Feed your snakes prey that is human raised (recommended frozen thawed), clean your caged well and on time, and inspect your snakes regularly for any lumps, bumps, boogers, odd noises or anything out of the ordinary. Then seek an opinion from a vet who knows not to look at your snake like they would with a dog or cat.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-08-2021),GoingPostal (06-08-2021),Hugsplox (06-08-2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12