Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,565

1 members and 1,564 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Upping the game when it comes to Enclosures

Found this pic on Facebook.....

My brain goes hmmm Wow so many possibilities..... Double enclosures...maybe triple....

side by side, upper and lower levels, How about pvc pipe through the wall??

Then you could have 1 cool room and 1 hot room, that would really give them a temperature gradient.
    Just kidding (or am I)

But seriously, could this even work with bigger enclosures and bigger snakes?

The funniest part was the comments...

"Snake looks up, Ohh a way out"

"Snake drops it other enclosure.... Crap"

"Snake looks up, Ohh a way out"

"Snake drop in other enclosure.... Crap"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    The concept is cool but I would absolutely not trust that not to be pulled apart by a snake and have it on the loose in the house. Gerbils have a lot less muscle and managed to get out all the time when I was a kid with those tubes. I could see some awesome possibilities with custom acrylic tubes though which were sealed properly with solvent! Cleaning might be a pain on the other hand though if they don't come apart, so I'd make them wider and have some sort of special flange where they connect to the lids that was really hard to disconnect them from inside.

Dav Kaufman tours a house with some really neat custom enclosures, like a glass table with a huge enclosure beneath and some other cool ones. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFvtP95GNRo
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (06-07-2021)

Thanks
    I’ve always wanted to do something similar with an ant farm. Smaller and more complex, with separate chambers for water, different foodstuffs, etc. I wonder if they’d chew through clear poly tubing...

Thanks

Re: Upping the game when it comes to Enclosures

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoyb View Post
    I’ve always wanted to do something similar with an ant farm. Smaller and more complex, with separate chambers for water, different foodstuffs, etc. I wonder if they’d chew through clear poly tubing...
    Ants Canada has done that with a few different species and I think it works well for many, but certain ones figure out how to chew at junctions. I've got some carpenter ants with a few small poly tubes connecting different formicariums and they haven't figured out how to chew yet but they still have a good deal of extra room to grow their colony so probably aren't really trying. Pretty sure they would if they found a good place to try and really wanted out because they are really good chewers.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (06-07-2021),MrMoyb (06-06-2021)

Thanks

Once my local zoo had something like that. It went through the entire building and there were tubes and enclosure everywhere. I think they were with leafcutter ants but I don't think they have it anymore.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nikkubus View Post
    Ants Canada has done that with a few different species and I think it works well for many, but certain ones figure out how to chew at junctions. I've got some carpenter ants with a few small poly tubes connecting different formicariums and they haven't figured out how to chew yet but they still have a good deal of extra room to grow their colony so probably aren't really trying. Pretty sure they would if they found a good place to try and really wanted out because they are really good chewers.
    Sooooo... I’ve spent the last few days obsessing over Ants Canada YouTube videos. Always had the desire for a reproductive ant farm, but never took action. Now I have my floral picks all ready to go. I see carpenter and sometimes formica reproductives every year, so it’s only a matter of time.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,857 Times in 4,778 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nikkubus View Post
    The concept is cool but I would absolutely not trust that not to be pulled apart by a snake and have it on the loose in the house. Gerbils have a lot less muscle and managed to get out all the time when I was a kid with those tubes. I could see some awesome possibilities with custom acrylic tubes though which were sealed properly with solvent! Cleaning might be a pain on the other hand though if they don't come apart, so I'd make them wider and have some sort of special flange where they connect to the lids that was really hard to disconnect them from inside.
    Just looking over what's available commercially for clear plastic/acrylic tubing, I think a carpet python would be about the largest snake you could set up with a clear tube between separate enclosures.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Just looking over what's available commercially for clear plastic/acrylic tubing, I think a carpet python would be about the largest snake you could set up with a clear tube between separate enclosures.
    Would the entire pipe need to be clear? If you just had a pipe cut horizontally with acrylic sized tubing above it then there isn't a size or weight limit.
    Last edited by Erie_herps; 06-07-2021 at 02:03 PM.

Thanks
    Nice idea.

Maybe something like this would be more a more secure material for the bridge

I also like the old idea of a Vivarium, with a false floor. i.e two levels.
    You would have a normal wood vivarium with glass sliding doors, but a false floor with a bit of pipe leading to the dark underground section.
    The pipe was raised a bit so substrate would not fall down the hole to the lower level.
    The underground section is in the form a a draw so you can access it.
    I used these before I had ball pythons, but i am thinking now, it would suit their underground burrows well.
    P.s there was a shelf too in the top section for climbing and additional thermoregulation.

Thanks

Sooooo... I’ve spent the last few days obsessing over Ants Canada YouTube videos. Always had the desire for a reproductive ant farm, but never took action. Now I have my floral picks all ready to go. I see carpenter and sometimes formica reproductives every year, so it’s only a matter of time.
    If you go with carpenter, keep in mind the first year goes really slow and don't start with too big of a formicarium. A large test tube is really good enough to get through the first winter most of the time. I jumped the gun on one of mine that seemed to be growing faster than the others and they turned a giant section into a graveyard and won't utilize it for brood now instead of off in a corner of the surface like I was hoping . On the plus side, carpenter ants are really good about adopting broods if you get more than one queen and one doesn't make it. Sometimes they can even have a multi-queen colony but it's kinda risky to get it started.

Quote Originally Posted by Erie_herps View Post
    Would the entire pipe need to be clear? If you just had a pipe cut horizontally with acrylic sized tubing above it then there isn't a size or weight limit.
    I'm sure the snake would prefer if it wasn't clear at all haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Nice idea.

Maybe something like this would be more a more secure material for the bridge

I also like the old idea of a Vivarium, with a false floor. i.e two levels.
    You would have a normal wood vivarium with glass sliding doors, but a false floor with a bit of pipe leading to the dark underground section.
    The pipe was raised a bit so substrate would not fall down the hole to the lower level.
    The underground section is in the form a a draw so you can access it.
    I used these before I had ball pythons, but i am thinking now, it would suit their underground burrows well.
    P.s there was a shelf too in the top section for climbing and additional thermoregulation.
    That sounds like something the snake would probably adore but I would only want to attempt it in a full bioactive because cleaning it would be a pain in the behind even with an access door.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Erie_herps (06-07-2021)