Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,514

1 members and 2,513 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

Re: Ball python swollen neck

Quote Originally Posted by Quality balls View Post
    The vet said they would do a check up tomorrow and see if they can get it out themselves hopefully it all goes well.
    I'm sure they can. They'll have the stuff to get it done. Lucky it's a snake and can still breath with large things in them.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

They dont crumble or dissolve in water my worries is that its at a angle where its poking at either side to where pulling it out would cause tearing my guess is when the vet tries to get it out they would twist it while pulling.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quality balls For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-06-2021),KMG (06-06-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Good. If that was my snake, I'd want that material to come back out the way it came, as gently as possible, under the vet's care, unless they can find a way to safely break it up so it could pass. I would trust their experience to make that decision. They can anesthetize & restrain her to do this as safely as possible, & probably with a little lubrication too. But doing it yourself at home? No way that's a safe option. Let us know how it goes?
    I agree will be updating tomorrow.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Quality balls For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-06-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Quality balls View Post
    They dont crumble or dissolve in water my worries is that its at a angle where its poking at either side to where pulling it out would cause tearing my guess is when the vet tries to get it out they would twist it while pulling.
    I can see that concern but remember snakes eat rats and rats have some really sharp claws. Then snakes in the wild eat a wide range of things that you would think could hurt their insides but doesn't. Have you ever heard of that being an issue? I haven't. Snakes are amazing.
    KMG

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    We? You and who? I missed that memo if I'm included in "we." I checked the rules again and didn't see it mentioned.

Seems I remember suggestions back in the day of bleach treatments for RI..... Or something like that, among other things. That was probably before you joined though, so maybe it's stopped? I'm not sure as I took a fairly long break from really participating.

Maybe it's best if I do again if I'm going against "we" think. As for what I said I gave my opinion off of the little information the OP gave. I guess the proper response was "go to a vet." But as I said the OP should do what they are comfortable with. I didn't say my idea was THE way or demand it be tried. Just offered my suggestion of what I MAY do.

I'll step away and leave y'all to it.

Good luck OP.
    I searched. It was F10..... Not bleach.
    KMG

Thanks
    Thanked 19,800 Times in 11,831 Posts

I can see that concern but remember snakes eat rats and rats have some really sharp claws. Then snakes in the wild eat a wide range of things that you would think could hurt their insides but doesn't. Have you ever heard of that being an issue? I haven't. Snakes are amazing.
    Yes, I've heard of that- snakes have been injured by claws etc when regurgitating freshly swallowed prey. Snakes are amazing but not invulnerable...
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (06-07-2021),nikkubus (06-06-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts

Also keep in mind, snakes in the wild don't often have people tracking their every move, noticing when they get infections or die. I've heard of them having problems in the wild with strange objects or unusual prey items they shouldn't be eating, not so much rodent claws because of the way the limbs bend when being swallowed but what Bogertophis is saying makes plenty of sense. I've certainly heard my fair share of stories in captivity of impaction and regurgitating problems though I've never personally dealt with it, knock on wood.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-06-2021),Hugsplox (06-07-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,800 Times in 11,831 Posts

I searched. It was F10..... Not bleach.
    Yes, I was going to mention that last night, but it was rather late... I know some think that nebulizing F10 is a good treatment, but to the best of my knowledge this was started or promoted by someone who's commercially selling snakes (I'm not going to name him here); my point being that taking such risks with "one's inventory" is not the same as risking a pet you actually care more about, & personally, having read the fine print on the F10 label, I can tell you that I'd want to hear a qualified veterinarian say this was safe & a recommended effective treatment for an RI before I'd suggest anyone try it, much less try it on any of my animals. There's plenty of bad information online already...I don't think we need to make any such contributions here, do you?

In any event, while we offer husbandry & health care suggestions on this site, it is WIDELY considered unethical for any of us to appear to be giving medical advice when a situation clearly belongs in professional hands. (It has nothing to do with "we-think".) And since the OP cannot safely sedate & restrain his snake at home, this is clearly a veterinary medical issue.

I don't think you'd actually feel good if someone (maybe trying to save $ by avoiding a vet visit, for example) were to take your suggestion seriously & attempt to do something that "you yourself felt comfortable doing" only to cause further injury or death to their pet, when it could have been avoided. PLEASE...consider that some readers here are more suggestible than others- and I don't have to explain to you how much gets "lost in translation" when "iffy" advice gets passed along, do I? We want this to be a good reliable forum when it comes to giving advice, & posts remain a long time for countless others to read.

...I guess the proper response was "go to a vet."...
    YES, Bingo!
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 06-06-2021 at 01:06 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Yes, I've heard of that- snakes have been injured by claws etc when regurgitating freshly swallowed prey. Snakes are amazing but not invulnerable...
    Please back that up.
    KMG

Thanks

Yes, I was going to mention that last night, but it was rather late... I know some think that nebulizing F10 is a good treatment, but to the best of my knowledge this was started or promoted by someone who's commercially selling snakes (I'm not going to name him here); my point being that taking such risks with "one's inventory" is not the same as risking a pet you actually care more about, & personally, having read the fine print on the F10 label, I can tell you that I'd want to hear a qualified veterinarian say this was safe & a recommended effective treatment for an RI before I'd suggest anyone try it, much less try it on any of my animals. There's plenty of bad information online already...I don't think we need to make any such contributions here, do you?

In any event, while we offer husbandry & health care suggestions on this site, it is WIDELY considered unethical for any of us to appear to be giving medical advice when a situation clearly belongs in professional hands. (It has nothing to do with "we-think".) And since the OP cannot safely sedate & restrain his snake at home, this is clearly a veterinary medical issue.

I don't think you'd actually feel good if someone (maybe trying to save $ by avoiding a vet visit, for example) were to take your suggestion seriously & attempt to do something that "you yourself felt comfortable doing" only to cause further injury or death to their pet, when it could have been avoided. PLEASE...consider that some readers here are more suggestible than others- and I don't have to explain to you how much gets "lost in translation" when "iffy" advice gets passed along, do I? We want this to be a good reliable forum when it comes to giving advice, & posts remain a long time for countless others to read.

YES, Bingo!
    Ok, So you knew medical advice was given here but said it wasn't. Interesting. So I'm not alone in offering opinions and suggestions. Glad we agree.

As for how I feel about a person doing something? I'm not them. I was clear in my suggestion and if they choose to move forward that is their decision to make and I fully support them either way. But then I'm all about personal freedom.

Then as to a business vs personal pets? I disagree completely. If you don't care the same about the animals that your produce as your do animals you consider pets that's horrible. But that's my opinion and support yours being different. I plan on one day hatching some baby snakes and can assure you I will care the same about them as I do me "pets."

I'm done with this conversation if you are. It's up to you.
    Last edited by KMG; 06-06-2021 at 04:05 PM.
    KMG

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast