Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,387

2 members and 1,385 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Exclamation Ball python swollen neck

So i feed my ball pythons couple days ago and was doin my usual spot cleaning when i noticed that one had a swollen area towards her neck which I believe to be mabye a piece of coco block? Ive never had this happen before and contacted a vet near me that deals with reptiles. Ive never had anything serious happen to any of my pythons which required vet attention any recommendations on the best vet i can go to for ball pythons in the bay area?

Thanks

Re: Ball python swollen neck

Im new to this forum and not sure how to work this yet i posted pictures in my gallery.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts
    You mean you think she swallowed a piece of coco block? I can't imagine a snake doing that but I guess if it wasn't completely expanded & you feed your snake directly on the substrate without putting something under the prey (as a "plate"), she might have gulped that down along with her rodent... That must feel pretty miserable- I'd say get her some vet help FAST- that's the best thing I can suggest.

Incidentally, for posting photos: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-Post-Pictures

For finding vet options near you: https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Quality balls (06-06-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    How does it feel? Hard with edges? Soft.... Fluid like?

I can't imagine the snake taking in one of those blocks. Doesn't seem like something that would easily stick to it's food. Do they? I've never even seen that stuff.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

Coco blocks would never stick to any of the prey. I feed frozen thawed and always dry them so that nothing would get stuck to them. With this particular girl shes a bit shy never strikes at her food and always in her hide so i have to place it by her hide for her to get it on her own. Ive watched my other pythons eat off the substrate and always see the little blocks fall when they start eating so doesnt make sense that she would take some in along with her but thats the only explanation that makes sense that i can think of. I gently touched the area and it’s definitely hard with a bulge on the belly side.

Thanks
    Is there any other missing decor that would explain the lump? Snakes have swallowed towels, light bulbs, & all sort of things, but it's not common, that's for sure. At least she's not a picky eater.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 06-06-2021 at 01:03 AM.

Thanks
    I once massaged waste out of a constipated Blood. I'm not sure if you'll be able to do it but that's probably what I would try if I was trying to handle it myself. Massage it forward and if you have some forceps that would be a big bonus to be able to grab it and pull it out if you get it to move forward. I'm worried it's dry though and that will cause it to stick inside. Maybe letting the snake soak and drink before trying would help.

Like mentioned above snakes have swallowed all sorts of things. I've seen a vet pull a towel out of a snake much like I described but they had a helper to hold the snake in place.

What did the vet say?
    KMG

Thanks
    I'd for sure get the vet's help on this, so you don't make things worse. (KMG, I don't think they had time to contact the vet yet-?)

And massaging waste out of a snake is different, because that's going the direction it's supposed to go. For that matter, I've helped an exhausted bull snake lay some huge eggs, one of which was extra-large & stuck. But this could do some real harm because it's going the "wrong way".
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 06-06-2021 at 01:19 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I'd for sure get the vet's help on this, so you don't make things worse. (KMG, I don't think they had time to contact the vet yet-?)
    Maybe not. Maybe I'm misunderstanding this, "Ive never had this happen before and contacted a vet near me that deals with reptiles."
    KMG

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post

And massaging waste out of a snake is different, because that's going the direction it's supposed to go. For that matter, I've helped an exhausted bull snake lay some huge eggs, one of which was extra-large & stuck. But this could do some real harm because it's going the "wrong way".
    Well that's the direction a vet will most likely take it out being so close to the mouth. YouTube has videos of things being pulled out of snakes.
    KMG

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast