Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,849

0 members and 2,849 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Is the alpha wolf/dog wrong. a mistake?

Is the alpha wolf/dog theory wrong. not true, a mistake?

Last edited by Ascended; 06-03-2021 at 08:30 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ascended For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-04-2021),Hugsplox (06-04-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Re: Is the alpha wolf/dog wrong. a mistake?

This is a really interesting video, but more interesting are the articles and research papers that he's getting his information from. If you really want to dig into this, I highly recommend checking out the cited works he has linked in the description of the video.

I do have a couple of counter arguments to some of his statements though. The first is when he mentions that dog trainers use this alpha dog mentality to train dogs, and that because of this "new" research some of them are going to lose their jobs. Now this may have just been a joke, but training using this method is effective. He says something to the effect of "this alpha behavior is something that only happens in captivity," well we keep dogs in captivity, so training them this way works. I interacted a lot with K9 handlers in the military and this training method isn't suddenly going to become ineffective just because we realized we made a mistake when discussing wild wolves in the 90s.

The second issue I have is he makes a comment about the alpha label being something that's influenced our society and the cause of that is because we misunderstood wolves. I get that, and I think if you and I are discussing alpha animals, the first animal we would think of is wolves, but I think this statement may lead some people to think that alpha animals just don't exist. Other species do have legitimate and complicated hierarchies, which do include what we would consider alpha animals, a fantastic example being Chimpanzees, but I think it's important to remember that just because wolves don't have "alphas" in the wild that doesn't mean other animals don't.

I agree with him and his sources, but I think he may have gotten into other areas related to this topic, where he may have offered some opinions rather than facts.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-04-2021),Spicey (06-05-2021)

Thanks

Re: Is the alpha wolf/dog wrong. a mistake?

,Hugsplox has some awesome analysys. Respect. . and yes, we must always check the research papers sited for our selves. We are not worthy if we do not think a bout it our selves and analyse the data, as opposed to listening to a youtube video that suites our own beliefs. No new information is conclusive, Its and evolution of understanding.

My posit is pointing out that we we are so stuck in out views, But the truth and science understanding is always evolving/changing. Making us think we might be wrong, and developing a better understanding

We need to be less confident in our views, and consider other possibilities based on new information. its agogrant to think we know everything.

e.g. WE USED TO THINK THE WORLD WAS THE CENTRE OF THE UNIVERSE, TIME HAS TAUGHT US TO THINK DEEPER AND SEE A BIGGER PICTURE,.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ascended For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (06-07-2021)