Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,748

2 members and 2,746 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks

Best Substrates for BP!

So I hear all kinds of different choices are better. Everyone will have their own opinions I’m sure. I’m curious to see what you guys use? I just switched from eco earth loose coconut fiber. (Heard it could get stuck in Heat Pitts) to coco husk by exoterra. I must say I don’t like it at all! It’s way too fluffy. I’ve had a few people say Reptichip. After watching videos on it I don’t think I would want that. It seems like you have to make it wet to use it. I don’t spray my substrate at all for my BP and my humidity levels are just fine. So I don’t want to have to use wet substrate.

Thanks

Re: Best Substrates for BP!

Mine are all still on paper as most are still in quarantine, albeit at the end.
    I do like paper. Yes good for quarantine so you can see clearly if any mites and see what kind of stools they have, especial if you need a stool sample.

But I also like paper anyway because it forces me not to spot clean and I have to disinfect the tubs each time instead. Also I have heard males can pull chips back inside their hemphines after mating and loose one. (don't know if that's a fact or roomer)

I guess background humidity is a factor. Its very low here so I cant use aspen. I have reptichip ready for the end of quarantine. I will try that. (except during breeding maybe) It should help with my low humidity situation.

Nice thread. I will keep an eye on it and see if there are better options or other opinions..
    Last edited by Ascended; 06-03-2021 at 04:46 PM.

Thanks
    I like critters comfort course grade but I've been having trouble finding it. It's softer than Reptichip which I'm currently using. I think reptichip has strips of plastic in it? Or paper? I can't tell but there's some non coconut stuff mixed in it. I don't wet my reptichip blocks but it is hard to break up the block when it's dry. I like that it has little to no smell and isn't too fine/dusty.
    Last edited by Trinityblood; 06-03-2021 at 08:10 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Re: Best Substrates for BP!

I think this really depends on what you need it to do. If you're looking for something that holds humidity well, is easy to clean, and easy to work with, I swapped to Reptibark from Forest Floor a few months ago, and I'll never use anything else.