Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,713

1 members and 2,712 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Mites? Not eating? Help!

Okay so I got a male banana bee ball python off of Craigslist about a month ago..he still has not eaten anything for me. I’ve only offered him F/T though and the previous owner said he gave him prekilled. So I’ve been thinking that was the issue and was planning on going to get a live rat this weekend. Well the past couple weeks he’s been spending a lot of time in his water dish, not 24/7 but quite a bit. Now for the past 2 days he’s been in his water all day and is really active at night. I’ve checked him over a few times and noticed black specks under a lot of his scales but just figured it was bedding bc he’s on eco earth. Everything I read online says you will be able to see them moving and I haven’t noticed any that seem to move. I’m gonna give him another thorough check today but should I go ahead and treat him for mites even if I’m not 100% sure that’s the issue? His temps and humidity are correct and he has 2 hides. At first I thought he was soaking bc he was too warm but the warm end doesn’t get over 90 degrees? Need some advice, this is my baby and I wanna solve the problem and get him eating. Thank you

Thanks

Re: Mites? Not eating? Help!

Check in the water bowl, if he has mites you will see dead ones in the water. look around the eyes and cloaca. take some photos and post em.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Breeders pretreatment mites often, specially with a new critter coming in. Look in the water to find mites, if you have to pour it out on to paper towel and root around a bit. You will find them if the soaking is that often and they are there.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Christiantattoos View Post
    ... Well the past couple weeks he’s been spending a lot of time in his water dish, not 24/7 but quite a bit. Now for the past 2 days he’s been in his water all day and is really active at night. I’ve checked him over a few times and noticed black specks under a lot of his scales but just figured it was bedding bc he’s on eco earth. Everything I read online says you will be able to see them moving and I haven’t noticed any that seem to move. I’m gonna give him another thorough check today but should I go ahead and treat him for mites even if I’m not 100% sure that’s the issue? His temps and humidity are correct and he has 2 hides. At first I thought he was soaking bc he was too warm but the warm end doesn’t get over 90 degrees? Need some advice, this is my baby and I wanna solve the problem and get him eating. Thank you
    You need to find out IF he has mites (if any of those specks are moving) before you try to feed him- since treating for mites is more important than a meal, & the treatment -IF needed- might make him regurgitate a recent meal. So first things first-

Many snakes soak when they have mites- but mites don't always drown UNLESS you break the surface tension of the water with a drop of mild soap- just a drop, NOT a "bubble bath"- and NEVER added to the water bowl they drink from- a soak for mites must be supervised by you, shallow water (not forcing him to swim, not over the snake's "height") about 82*, for about 25 minutes optimally to drown most* mites. (*some may survive by hiding around the eyes & chin & face of the snake- you do NOT submerge their head to drown mites!)

Black (or red or brown) "specks" should always be checked for movement on white paper & with magnification if needed. IF you think a snake has mites, you should keep them ON white paper towels for substrate for at least a month while eradicating them. Mites lay eggs in ALL natural substrates & even if you manage to drown the adults, their eggs will hatch out new generations. Mites reproduce exponentially (fast!) & can kill a snake from blood loss-shock-organ failure. Mites may also spread diseases. Don't under-estimate the danger of mites. If you find even ONE mite, throw away ALL natural substrate and any porous decorations- ie. things made of wood. If you don't, mites WILL return.

Here's a link to various options for treating mites, see post #2: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...hat-else-to-do

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Snakes also soak if they're too warm- you mentioned his home isn't over 90* but you didn't say what the "cool" side is? Best to check that too, in case.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 06-03-2021 at 11:17 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cuddlykhajiit View Post
    Breeders pretreatment mites often...
    True, but THIS snake came from CL (Craigslist).

Thanks

Thanks for the replies, I get home from work at 4 and I’m gonna take a closer look. His cool side stays between 75 and 82-83. I never thought to check his water bowl. This is the first snake I’ve had in years but used to have a small collection and once had a mite outbreak from bedding I got from a pet store. It’s been so many years I don’t remember what the mites looked like I just knew what was going on because one day suddenly all my snakes were soaking, I treated them with reptile relief and their enclosures with prevent a mite and i never had another issue..is this still the recommended treatment? It seems like so much has changed in the hobby...I plan on watching some videos and doing a more thorough inspection just wanted some more advice.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Christiantattoos View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I get home from work at 4 and I’m gonna take a closer look. His cool side stays between 75 and 82-83. I never thought to check his water bowl. This is the first snake I’ve had in years but used to have a small collection and once had a mite outbreak from bedding I got from a pet store. It’s been so many years I don’t remember what the mites looked like I just knew what was going on because one day suddenly all my snakes were soaking, I treated them with reptile relief and their enclosures with prevent a mite and i never had another issue..is this still the recommended treatment? It seems like so much has changed in the hobby...I plan on watching some videos and doing a more thorough inspection just wanted some more advice.
    Your cool side temps sound fine. And yes, when snakes that have mites soak, they often leave a few in the water bowl.

I've never personally used Reptile Relief but I've heard good things & would try that. Be very careful to follow instructions if you try "PAM" (Provent-A-Mite)- that's proven toxic to some, especially if instructions aren't closely followed. I've never used that either. I prefer methods that are least toxic, which is why I first would do a daily soak (w/ drop of mild dish soap) if any mites are found. That at least will get rid of MOST mites, & won't harm your snake one bit. The Reptile Relief might (with luck) be all you need to finish the job, along with careful cage cleaning, after that. I hope so, anyway. Current treatments- see the link in my post above from another long-time very experienced member & fellow mod here. I'm happy to say I've only ever had 2 snakes with mites, & that was long ago.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    True, but THIS snake came from CL (Craigslist).
    Lol oh that wasn't saying breeders don't spread mites, some definitely do. It was me saying go ahead and treat for them. You know just fallow the steps properly.

Thanks

I've used both Jurassimite and Provent a mite. Jurass smells amazing imo lol but takes longer. Provent took one treatment, allegedly provent last 1 month and Jurass has to be applied every day for I think it was a week or two, I really don't remember as my snakes don't get mites often if at all lol. My reason for using provent for the second mite issue was that I got a new snake for my bfs birthday, the store said it was treated for mites and that they didn't see any and God were they ever wrong (they had to take all their reptiles down). I didn't want mites getting to my other snakes (even though they're more than 40 meters apart for sure lol so I did provent. Says to make sure it's dry before putting your snake back in. I mixed up the bedding with it, sprayed inside hides and all the fake leaves. I waited three hours just to be 100% safe and touched it to make sure it was dry (it was) and hoped for the best. The directions are pretty easy but my God did it ever cost me a pretty penny to get. But hey, my mites are gone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast