Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,358

0 members and 2,358 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Rehoming a ball python. Is this a spider morph?

https://ibb.co/HD7VDR9

I’m not great at identifying morphs and I want to be aware if I need to look out for a head wobble. Thanks.

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: Rehoming a ball python. Is this a spider morph?

Only one photo loaded for me, but, yes, it looks like it has the Spider gene.

If you are rehoming the snake, do make sure to note in the description that it has the 'Spider' gene.

If you are buying and looking for a pet, then you can turn the snake upside down (when examining it) and see if it takes 'too long' to right itself and/or behaves oddly (head/neck twist).

If you are looking at this one as a potential future breeder...then I would never even consider it unless the python breeder I was purchasing from has a established reputation for only selling quality specimens.

*.* TNTC

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

alohalemon (06-01-2021),Bogertophis (06-01-2021)

Thanks

Sorry I wasn’t clear in the title, I am adopting the snake from a friend, and that was the picture he sent me. I have no plans to breed this one (or any snake in the near future, I only care for a couple snakes as a hobby). He is at least 2 years old, and my friend said he may have a mild wobble when he’s scared, or after shedding. I plan on picking him up next week and I will try turning him upside down like you suggested. My main concern is making sure I give this little guy the best care possible.
    Last edited by alohalemon; 06-01-2021 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Wording

5. The Following User Says Thank You to alohalemon For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-01-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    I have two female ball pythons with the spider gene (mother-daughter) and don't have to do anything different for them regarding husbandry other than they never get a live feeder. They do wobble quite a bit when excited, like at feeding time, so their strikes tend to go everywhere except toward the feeder. I get the f/t feeder close enough to their noses so they can't miss it, and after that they're fine.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

alohalemon (06-01-2021),Bogertophis (06-01-2021),nikkubus (06-01-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alohalemon View Post
    Sorry I wasn’t clear in the title, I am adopting the snake from a friend, and that was the picture he sent me. I have no plans to breed this one (or any snake in the near future, I only care for a couple snakes as a hobby). He is at least 2 years old, and my friend said he may have a mild wobble when he’s scared, or after shedding. I plan on picking him up next week and I will try turning him upside down like you suggested. My main concern is making sure I give this little guy the best care possible.
    If your not bothered by the wobble, it might be good to give it a home for life. If you are bothered, best not to only have it for a while then get stressed by the wobble and move it on again.
    As long as its feeding, well cared for and kept unstressed it should be ok.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ascended For This Useful Post:

alohalemon (06-02-2021),Bogertophis (06-01-2021),nikkubus (06-01-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    If husbandry is correct, wobble shouldn't be too severe to be an issue except in rare cases. It will be more severe with stress. It can happen in any ball python, not just spiders or other morphs specifically known for having it. My pastel enchi had it mildly with eating for quite some time, especially after upgrading her to her adult enclosure, though she appears to no longer do it enough to notice.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

alohalemon (06-02-2021)

Thanks
    I have 3 spiders and a champagne. They all display wobble, although not severe. They corkscrew a bit if held and try to come "up" when they've lowered their heads, but once on solid ground there are no issues. They all are voracious feeders and all are fed live. And yes, they are all scheduled in future breeding projects.
    Last edited by LunaL412; 06-18-2021 at 04:08 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to LunaL412 For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (06-18-2021)