Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,937

0 members and 1,937 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Different ways to take a ball python?

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    I don't know Italian so I don't know what they are claiming. That said I didn't see anything ground breaking in the video. I saw them rub the Hoggy near the tail like I said I do and then put their finger out, at which point the Hoggy investigated. Having had 3 Hognose I find them very inquisitive and easily lead with a finger. Hognose are very different from a Ball and much more outgoing in my opinion, from my experience. They are also usually good eaters with a faster metabolism so they are constantly looking to see if you have food. Which is why I believe they'll easily follow a little pink finger.

As to doing that with a Hognose I wouldn't recommend it. If they do confuse you for food you are giving them a nice thin item to grab onto. No reason to see how their venom will effect you. I was cleaning the tank one day and my previous one came out and latched on the side of my finger. Was a little red, swollen, and a tad stiff for a few hours from the venom. It also bleed pretty good, not stopped quickly like my other bites.

Another thing I've found with them is they're actually good climbers and seem to actually enjoy it. All three I've had climb when given the equipment. I did really like that setup they had.

BUT maybe I'm missing something not being able to read what it says. Am I?
    So you guys call him "hognose", I didn't know that it have a different name, here in Italy we call him "nasicus".
    I don't think that you miss something to the video, but thanks for your explenation, because I understood that do something like that video on a ball python is impossible for the python's nature, I think at least.
    This because ball python stay in the hide most of the time, so if you will open the terrarium he almost never leave the hide for curiosity. Right?
    So I think that I give up this idea and I'll focus to improve the classical way to take a python, with all the tips that you guys gave me. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,793 Times in 11,827 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edea_Tsuki View Post
    So you guys call him "hognose", I didn't know that it have a different name, here in Italy we call him "nasicus".
    I don't think that you miss something to the video, but thanks for your explenation, because I understood that do something like that video on a ball python is impossible for the python's nature, I think at least.
    This because ball python stay in the hide most of the time, so if you will open the terrarium he almost never leave the hide for curiosity. Right?
    So I think that I give up this idea and I'll focus to improve the classical way to take a python, with all the tips that you guys gave me. Thanks!

The scientific (species) name for a Western Hognose snake like the one in the video you shared is "Heterodon nasicus". "Hognose" is the common name, but can be confusing because there are other kinds of "hognose" snakes too, including the wonderful giant black & yellow ones from Madagascar (aka Leioheterodon madagascariensis).

And I agree, that what works for a hognose snake probably will not work for a ball python; also, the hognose in the video has been conditioned to the methods used- I don't think it will automatically work for every hognose either (& I've kept several in the past, btw). Many snakes seem to like having their chin lightly stroked (as opposed to the top of their head, which appears to them as the threat of a predator swooping down on them), but the trouble with that is "getting there" without the snake assuming your finger is incoming prey.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-31-2021 at 12:08 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Edea_Tsuki (05-31-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cuddlykhajiit View Post
    Honestly you do more than I do. I just go in and grab them out, no hesitating because going back and forth replicates predators or food.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
    This ... with Royal pythons you simply have to go behind their head and pick them up slowly ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    Also, with "most" snakes, you want to "be the ground underneath them" because they "don't bite the ground they crawl on"- so gently lifting a snake mid-body is reassuring to them- they don't like being grabbed by either end because that's what predators grab.

Most snakes, when you first touch them, will turn quickly to see what's touching them- as in - but if you hold still while they verify your scent (isn't prey), they seldom bite. It's not a guarantee, mind you...just like human drivers mostly follow the speed limits, but there's always a few that drive with too much enthusiasm...so too with snakes.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Edea_Tsuki (05-31-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Also, with "most" snakes, you want to "be the ground underneath them" because they "don't bite the ground they crawl on"- so gently lifting a snake mid-body is reassuring to them- they don't like being grabbed by either end because that's what predators grab.

Most snakes, when you first touch them, will turn quickly to see what's touching them- as in - but if you hold still while they verify your scent (isn't prey), they seldom bite. It's not a guarantee, mind you...just like human drivers mostly follow the speed limits, but there's always a few that drive with too much enthusiasm...so too with snakes.
    Really well put!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    You have open me a entire world! With this, I can explain a lot of actions of my ball python. I always had a bit fear when he "sniff" me, but now I know better his behavior and I know a little more about him. Thanks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Edea_Tsuki View Post
    You have open me a entire world! With this, I can explain a lot of actions of my ball python. I always had a bit fear when he "sniff" me, but now I know better his behavior and I know a little more about him. Thanks!
    Always glad to help. To continue the driving analogy, there's more than one way to successfully signal a left turn- you can use the signal light or stick your arm out the window. Same thing with snakes, there's more than one way to communicate, to signal to your snake what's going on. There is sometimes a good reason to use one method over the other, but the main thing is letting your snake know as best you can what's going on.

They're shy & fearful, not the ferocious creatures portrayed in scary movies, so you want to help them feel at ease. Even though some of our methods & suggestions differ, do what works for you & what your snake responds best to. Snakes catch on- they learn, remember, & they recognize us- it's a really nice feeling to have a "wild" creature (even if captive-bred) that feels safe with us. That to me is what's so cool about keeping snakes- sharing our homes with a beautiful bit of nature.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Edea_Tsuki (06-01-2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12