Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,565

0 members and 2,565 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts

Re: Anybody Identify This Pic??

Quote Originally Posted by Gocntry View Post

I got a reply back this morning: "You final plan looks great! But you’ll need something much bigger than 100 qt for quarantine. He definitely can’t be in something that size for 90 days. Would you be able to provide something larger?"
    This sort of nonsense and ludicrous rehoming fees are why I won't even try adopting anymore. I highly doubt they have it housed in anything better. I commend your patience. The poor animal is not to blame for their ignorance.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nikkubus View Post
    This sort of nonsense and ludicrous rehoming fees are why I won't even try adopting anymore. I highly doubt they have it housed in anything better. I commend your patience. The poor animal is not to blame for their ignorance.
    They said he was in a 120 gallon enclosure, so that's a 4x2x2 I believe. I'll see when I get there.

And I thought the fee was a little stiff, but I'll also see what I'm supporting when I get there, and after the other thread

discussing 6500.00 snakes.... well a snake is worth, what it's worth to each individual I guess.

It's a reptile rescue not a CL ad so they would have some operating cost I would think.

5 of my 6 snakes were $20 to $30.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Gocntry For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-05-2021)

Thanks

They said he was in a 120 gallon enclosure, so that's a 4x2x2 I believe.
    Maybe I am mad about nothing then. That would be very different from my experience with reptile rescues. Can't tell you the amount of times I've seen an adult colubrid in a bare 10 gallon aquarium, all while stating in the contract the bare minimum they expect you to have is 1.5x the length of the snake. Either way, I think they are being overly picky about a 90 day quarantine enclosure, especially if you can show them the receipt for what is on the way. I can understand the fear that maybe a person just says its temporary and then never upgrades it with the "I'm out of money" excuse, but the wait time for enclosures right now is an actual limitation.

Thanks

Maybe I am mad about nothing then. That would be very different from my experience with reptile rescues. Can't tell you the amount of times I've seen an adult colubrid in a bare 10 gallon aquarium, all while stating in the contract the bare minimum they expect you to have is 1.5x the length of the snake. Either way, I think they are being overly picky about a 90 day quarantine enclosure, especially if you can show them the receipt for what is on the way. I can understand the fear that maybe a person just says its temporary and then never upgrades it with the "I'm out of money" excuse, but the wait time for enclosures right now is an actual limitation.

Yep, poor Sicle, the corn snake, when I adopted him, he was in a 20 gallon with only one of those open ended logs, and a small water bowl

The 20 gallon was cracked on the bottom and looked liked it hadn't been cleaned in 6 months or longer.

Old sheds in there, feces, so urine or spilled water caked I had to literally scrape it out into the garbage

He was a scared, nippy, tail rattling guy .

But he's now in a 36x18x18 Exo Terra and seems to be a happy snake, no tail rattling and easily handled.
    Last edited by Gocntry; 06-06-2021 at 10:05 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gocntry For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-06-2021),nikkubus (06-06-2021)

Thanks

Ok, Iris tub is in hand....

That trip tested my patience to the absolute limits. Between the traffic, construction and the GPS getting us lost in the city

The place itself being next to impossible to find, then had 4 employees helping me find where they had it. I'll give them major credit, they

didn't give up and found 5 hidden it the back storage room. Great job!!

As far as Reston, that place will never see me again. That turned into a 2 1/2 hour trip. UGH!

Now for the tub....

The bottom has small ribs on it (for strength I guess) Should I just install the heat mat over the ribs or file them flat the size of the heat mat.

And how many vent holes should I put in the top? The whole top? just 1/4 of each end to support air flow in and out? Some on the side too?

Thanks Again for your input!!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

I wouldn’t worry about filing the ribs on the tub and just rest it on the heat mat. Maybe build up several layers of foil tape around the perimeter of the mat to make a spacer of sorts if you’d like.
    As for ventilation holes it kind of depends on your humidity needs and such. I generally drill holes along the sides of the tub near the top the whole way around, but you could likely do fine with holes at either end as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-06-2021),EL-Ziggy (06-06-2021),Gocntry (06-06-2021),nikkubus (06-06-2021)

Thanks
    Glad they finally found your tub, what a pain. I'd go for the upper sides vs the lid personally for ventilation because you get nice crossflow, but evaporation holds in a bit better. I'll let someone with carpet experience answer the correct amount. The ribs shouldn't be a problem, a little air gap between the heat pad is fine.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-06-2021),EL-Ziggy (06-06-2021),Gocntry (06-06-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

As far as Reston, that place will never see me again. That turned into a 2 1/2 hour trip. UGH!
    Ugh, 30 years ago I lived and worked in Reston. Thank you for the reminder that I made a good decision to move into WV!

The gaps under the tub should be fine, it'll just give you a place to put the thermostat probe.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-06-2021),Gocntry (06-06-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,492 Times in 2,686 Posts

Glad they finally found your tub, what a pain. I'd go for the upper sides vs the lid personally for ventilation because you get nice crossflow, but evaporation holds in a bit better. I'll let someone with carpet experience answer the correct amount. The ribs shouldn't be a problem, a little air gap between the heat pad is fine.
    I concur.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

15. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Gocntry (06-06-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Ok, Iris tub is in hand....

That trip tested my patience to the absolute limits. Between the traffic, construction and the GPS getting us lost in the city

The place itself being next to impossible to find, then had 4 employees helping me find where they had it. I'll give them major credit, they

didn't give up and found 5 hidden it the back storage room. Great job!!

As far as Reston, that place will never see me again. That turned into a 2 1/2 hour trip. UGH!...
    Oh the things we all go thru for our animal-families.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast