Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,572

1 members and 1,571 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Sizing Of Prey For Ball Python

How are the growth rates for these guys? So I’ve heard feed your snake about the size of the thickest part of him. So he measures a hair over an inch. I’m feeding Small Adult Frozen mice right now. They measure in close to an inch maybe a hair over. I wanted to go ahead and offer him his first rat. Would that be considered a rat pup? How often do you bump up prey typically? My guy is 3-4 months old said the breeder I got him from last month. He looks to be a good size right now. Nice and plump he is lol!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    I bump up feeder size when needed. When what I am feeding is no longer a lump in the snake I will usually look at going up a size.....unless they are adult snakes on maintenance. This will be different in each situation.

If a person feeds their snake every five days while you are doing every seven they will probably jump up a size before you. Or maybe your snake eats every week while another's eats every two weeks and is giving them fits, your snake will be the one that most likely jumps up a size first. You just don't know what is going to happen......especially with a Ball. My Ball once went six months with only a small rat during that time. She was fine and just being a Ball but she did it. So during that time if another's Ball is still eating every week they are going to pass mine up. See the variables?

If you want to try a rat a rat pup is probably the right size.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

Re: Sizing Of Prey For Ball Python

Hopefully no issues on switching over to the rat. The rats I got are from the pet store and I’m not sure if they are rats pups or not. I do know they are the same size as the small adult mouse. About an inch and hair. I do recall not seeing “Rat Pup” on the box. Unless they don’t say that.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts
    From our BP Husbandry forum (https://ball-pythons.net/forums/foru...BP-Husbandry)- Many members here weigh their snakes & the prey, if so, this should help:

(It can be very confusing otherwise, as people & breeders don't all describe prey exactly the same way. So it's a good question.)

Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-26-2021 at 10:24 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Without seeing what you got I have no way of telling you. If it's close to what you've been feeding you will be fine. Snakes can eat larger items than what we usually give them. Knowing we will be feeding them again soon we can give them just what we want unlike in the wild where they get what they get. Not always in the wild is their meal just larger than their thickest part.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts
    KMG is right ^ ^ ^ that nature doesn't deliver the 'perfect sized prey' very often, & snakes can mostly make do, but since they're our cherished pets, we want the best for them, so we try.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)