Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,253

3 members and 3,250 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Socializing Ball Python Tips

It’s been a little over a month owning my ball python. So far so good. He’s been eating regularly each week. I’ve handled him only twice so far. Just tried to get him eating regularly before handling him. The first time I handled him was only for under 10 minutes. He’s super calm and chill. Hasn’t been defensive yet. He’s pretty relaxed as well. Today I got him out for a little longer. Maybe 15-20 minutes. The family wanted to check him out. I watched his reactions and he was a little shy for a few minutes and then opened up. While my mom was holding him I think she may have mad a quick reaction and he also made a quick reaction. So I took the snake off of her and I noticed he was getting super tense on my hand so Immediately put him back in his enclosure. No harm done though. Something with her moving quick I think scared him. Which I told her not to do! But anyways... do you guys have any tips on getting your snake comfortable with handling? Or how long it takes?
    Last edited by Bweiser18; 05-26-2021 at 08:28 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    I doesn't sound like your mom did anything wrong and if the snake and her both got startled I would say the best thing to do is have them both reset. Meaning slow down and let the snake and your mom see everything is ok. Rushing is and taking the snake sounds like a helicopter parent rushing in when their kid has a little fall. You have to let them learn they are fine and get through it.

As for handling I usually just do little sessions at first. Just to let them see I mean them no harm and that I am not a predator. With that I will go longer and longer reading the snake as I do it. Each snake and each day can be different. I don't stick to set times, days, or whatever. The only times I do not handle at all, unless necessary, is on feed days and the two days after. For example I have a baby King right now and she has been really great with handling. I am handling her more than I normally would because she is responding well to it. I check on her a few times a day and if she is out I may pick her up a couple of those times. She ate a pink this morning so the rest of today and tomorrow she will be left alone. After that I will go back to doing what I was.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-26-2021),dakski (05-27-2021),EL-Ziggy (05-26-2021),Hugsplox (05-27-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    We can't tell you how long it "takes" for a new snake to get comfortable with you & your handling- they're all different, just like we are, & the experiences they may have had before they moved in with you aren't all the same either. It's just up to us to be calm & patient & do our best to read their reactions (their "body language") & take it from there. Don't push a frightened snake too much, or they may stop eating. But most of the time, patience & empathy will pay off- your snake will learn you won't harm them & they'll relax.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (05-27-2021),Hugsplox (05-27-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Socializing Ball Python Tips

I agree with what's been said, but I'll also add a couple of things.

1. BP's can get tired of handling quickly even as established adults, depending on the snake. My almost 9 year old BP, Shayna, will tell me if I've had her out too long by tensing up a little too. They are shy animals and it doesn't necessarily mean you are doing something wrong, but that BP's like to be in dark places most of the time where they feel safe (like a borrow in the wild or a nice hide in captivity).

2. Going back to the shy point, BP's can startle themselves. Shayna, who has never struck at me or bit me etc. get scared of her own shadow . Sometimes, I'll be holding her, and she will bump into my arm or body on her own, and then shoot back startled and nervous. It's kind of a BP thing.

It isn't clear to me whether your BP bit or just got startled. Either way, as mentioned, time and gentle handling without overwhelming your BP, especially when young, will generally lead to a well adjusted BP. However, that doesn't mean he/she will never get startled.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-27-2021),Hugsplox (05-27-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    I agree with what's been said, but I'll also add a couple of things.

1. BP's can get tired of handling quickly even as established adults, .
    I have experienced this. I had a good feeder adult start to slime me when I over stressed her trying to take pictures for too long. She slimed me every time after that and went of her food for a while.
    I had to leave her for a month or so for her to get confident again. Now she is ok with handling (within reason)

I didn't know ball pythons could stink slime you. Other species yes, but can they or is that something different? It smelt the same as say when a rat snake does it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I have experienced this. I had a good feeder adult start to slime me when I over stressed her trying to take pictures for too long. She slimed me every time after that and went of her food for a while.
    I had to leave her for a month or so for her to get confident again. Now she is ok with handling (within reason)

I didn't know ball pythons could stink slime you. Other species yes, but can they or is that something different? It smelt the same as say when a rat snake does it.
    Hey, I never knew that rosy boas could musk either until I had a bunch of neonates to probe (determine genders)- OMG I thought I was going to hurl! It sure didn't take much either!

Some kinds of snakes are more prone to musk- when rat snakes are properly "socialized" they don't do it either. King snakes are more prone, since it's their typical & only defense as hatchlings.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Hey, I never knew that rosy boas could musk either until I had a bunch of neonates to probe (determine genders)- OMG I thought I was going to hurl! It sure didn't take much either!

Some kinds of snakes are more prone to musk- when rat snakes are properly "socialized" they don't do it either. King snakes are more prone, since it's their typical & only defense as hatchlings.
    That's the word 'Musk' thanks.
    Yep musk stinks and takes a few washes to get off. But I had no idea a Ball python would do it.
    Still, that's better than a UK grass snake, they will empty their bowels on you if stressed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    That's the word 'Musk' thanks.
    Yep musk stinks and takes a few washes to get off. But I had no idea a Ball python would do it.
    Still, that's better than a UK grass snake, they will empty their bowels on you if stressed.
    Garter snakes (& ribbon snakes) are notorious for musking. But again, they don't have much else in the way of self-defense, so you can hardly blame them.