Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,113

0 members and 3,113 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Question about pelletized bedding made out of pine

I’ve heard that using bedding that’s made out of pine is harmful to snakes and to not use it as their substrate, but would it be safe if it’s still in the room with my snakes tank? I have a cat and I recently found out that natural pine pellet bedding from Tractor Supply is not nearly as messy, costs way less than kitty litter AND helps to eliminate the odor. I would love to use it, but I’m afraid it may pose risk to my ball python’s well being just by being in the same room as it. Is it too risky to use, or would it be ok if I used it, just not in my snakes tank specifically?

Idk if this helps any, but in case the info does: the litter box is on the other side of the room from the tank.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    I personally wouldn't worry about using it as you describe- only in the cat box, in the same room but not close-by- I would assume that any pine "fumes" will dissipate in the room. I would NOT use it as litter for a snake though- you have to wonder what's holding the pellets together also, & I assume it gives off a "piney" smell?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: Question about pelletized bedding made out of pine

The compressed pine are good, but in my experience it has a pretty strong smell - its not nessessarily pine-like, more like saw dust. I used to use it for my ferrets litter pan. It really isn't bad in a big enough space - so depends on how big your snake room is. I also remember that some bags barely smelled at all and others were really strong, even coming off the same pallet at southern states.

If the pine is not workable, you can also try the recycled newspaper pellets - they need changed daily, but you can use a much smaller amount - it doesn't need to be inches thick or anything. We use it the vet clinic for our post-surgery cats since it doesn't stick into IV lines or incisions
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crowfingers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-23-2021),Hugsplox (05-24-2021)