Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,074

1 members and 3,073 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Chow Time

Thanks
    Thanked 5,487 Times in 2,686 Posts

Chow Time

I have 6 snake species and 11 snakes total. I’ve noticed that when it comes to how fast they complete their meals some snakes are consistently faster/slower than others. My bullsnakes are my fastest eaters by far. They don’t waste any time and get right to munching. They’re often done with their food while the other snakes are still coiled around theirs. My boas both eat pretty quickly too but the Argie eats faster than the BI. After the boas are the Scrub and Olive. The Scrub gets started and finishes faster than the Olive who tends to hug his food for a while. All the carpets take their sweet time eating but I think the albino and Bredli probably eat the fastest of my 5 Morelia.

Anyone else pay attention to the different start/finish times for the critter’s meals?
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-21-2021),Hugsplox (05-24-2021),jmcrook (05-23-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    My Dum takes forever and will stay coiled while others have been done with one and sometimes two.

My Ball would probably be next as she has to inspect the rat before eating. My Carpet will often be similar.

My BRB, Bloods, ETB, and GTP usually get to work fairly quick and the only reason the BRB and Bloods get beat is because of the size of the rats they take.

My fastest that I just found out last night is my new Cen Am Boa. She took the rat and started eating immediately. I was amazed. She was done before I even got the next two served. I'll have to see if that continues.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

4. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (05-21-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Yes, they definitely have different speeds. It makes sense that bull snakes eat fast, as they're mostly day-time hunters, & many predators (like birds of prey) might see them as easy pickings.

My rat & corn snakes eat fast too. My rosy boa takes a while- she's really into hugging her meals for a while, even though they're always f/t or p/k. My Texas Longnose snake takes a while too, but he has a very good excuse: he's eating about 5 items (f/t fuzzy mice) & has a very narrow gape. My Trans Pecos rat snakes usually just eat from the tongs- if they coil, it's very brief. My Australian spotted python is very enthusiastic, but she can take a while too- like my rosy boa, she's a "hugger", & besides, her face isn't as large as my rat snakes.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (05-21-2021),Hugsplox (05-24-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Re: Chow Time

Same here Ziggy,

I've noticed the BP will constrict for awhile, once he starts to eat it's pretty quick but the constriction phase he stays in for much longer than I would think he needs to. By comparison, the spotted python barely constricts at all. It's almost like he knows his food is F/T and that he doesn't have to spend much time on it. The fastest though are typically the two hognoses, who at this point have eating F/T so long that they basically just go up to the feeder and start eating without even striking.

Usually by the time the other three are about done the BP has finally decided to start eating as well.