Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,810

2 members and 2,808 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question How can I raise the background humidity in my snake room. Besides a humidifier.

Any suggestions as to how can I raise the background humidity in my snake room. Besides a humidifier.

I have to use two bowls currently and that reduces floor space for my ball pythons.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Moist moss in the hides. I used this when I had a glass tank sitting in my living room. With adding that and covering most of the top I had no issues with shed and no longer had to worry about keeping the entire tank humidity up.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Ascended (05-21-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    I agree with KMG ^ ^ ^ especially since it's not always a good thing to raise your home or room's humidity- that can encourage mold problems, unless you literally live in the desert? But humid hides & reducing overall air-flow in the snake enclosures works well, plus you can customize them separately if there's more than one & they're different kinds.

Then again, an indoor swimming pool would be nice.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-21-2021 at 06:28 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    You put a huge fish tank in the room.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-21-2021),nikkubus (05-23-2021)

Thanks

Re: How can I raise the background humidity in my snake room. Besides a humidifier.

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    Moist moss in the hides. I used this when I had a glass tank sitting in my living room. With adding that and covering most of the top I had no issues with shed and no longer had to worry about keeping the entire tank humidity up.
    I use tubs for my ball pythons, Glass would help. My sheds are ok though as I spray at shed time. its just a pain with the two bowls for normal humidity levels for ball pythons, but moss in a sweat box is something I have used in the past. Worth considering. But its hard for me to keep non shed humidity up in the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I agree with KMG ^ ^ ^ especially since it's not always a good thing to raise your home or room's humidity- that can encourage mold problems, unless you literally live in the desert? But humid hides & reducing overall air-flow in the snake enclosures works well, plus you can customize them separately if there's more than one & they're different kinds.
    Too much humidity in the room and mold is not a problem for me. Its cold in the UK. So I have to have the central heating on a lot. (its water filled sealed radiators in every room all joined ) They dry out the humidity in the house making it lower than outside. Background humidity in my house is usually only 30%, so indoors that's pretty close to desert humidity most of the year.

Then again, an indoor swimming pool would be nice.
    Well, that's the dream

Quote Originally Posted by GoingPostal View Post
    You put a huge fish tank in the room.
    Edit: thanks, saw that after posting. I do like fish, i like that idea, pretty background light too. but maybe not too Huge
    Last edited by Ascended; 05-21-2021 at 06:51 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

Re: How can I raise the background humidity in my snake room. Besides a humidifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I use tubs for my ball pythons, Glass would help. My sheds are ok though as I spray at shed time. its just a pain with the two bowls for normal humidity levels for ball pythons, but moss in a sweat box is something I have used in the past. Worth considering. But its hard for me to keep non shed humidity up in the tank.
    You don't still have hides?

Maybe remove a bowl and add a hide with some moss. With the moss there is no worrying about the outside humidity because the snake will be in the hide where the humidity is.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

....Well, that's the dream ...
    Yeah, mine anyway...

Thanks

You don't still have hides?
    Yes i do have hides.
    What I meant was i used to also put an extra box with moss in it and with a lid and a hole in for the snake to enter it , just for bad sheds or laying eggs for north american snakes. I called it a sweat box.

Maybe remove a bowl and add a hide with some moss. With the moss there is no worrying about the outside humidity because the snake will be in the hide where the humidity is.
    Your convincing me somewhat, Still a few reservations. That that would need regular watering with the low humidity I have. Also some of my ball pythons don't use the hide boxes provided.
    I suppose I should consider this again for some of my ball pythons. Sphagnum Moss grows wild here and is cheep and easy to obtain.
    Yeah, mine anyway...
    Seriously its mine too. Seriously

Thanks

Your convincing me somewhat, Still a few reservations. That that would need regular watering with the low humidity I have. Also some of my ball pythons don't use the hide boxes provided.
    I suppose I should consider this again for some of my ball pythons. Sphagnum Moss grows wild here and is cheep and easy to obtain.

Seriously its mine too. Seriously

I tend to find that snakes NEEDING higher humidity, like in shed cycle, will seek out & use a humid hide that they may otherwise seem to ignore. Worth a try, IMO. Especially since you can locally source the sphagnum moss- you're lucky!

And as far as the , I'm serious too. I swim laps for 3 months -all summer here & starting soon- in an outdoor pool, & I can hardly wait for the indoor aquatic facility that our town has approved & will be building over the next couple years, so we'll be able to swim all year long. It's the best exercise for me & for so many others, plus it's just so much fun. I thought about putting in an "Endless Pool" at home, because I know I can lap in place (I swim with fins) but now I'll wait for the facility to be built. The funding was voted in.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (05-24-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    I understand about the dry interior since my HVAC in some ways is just too good and it really dries out the air in my house. During the winter the humidity can drop below 15%, and I end up with cracked skin on my hands.

I started hanging towels, jeans, bedding, etc. on a drying rack in the house after I washed them. Anything heavy that would take a long time in the clothes dryer, I just put on the rack. Saves electricity and it does help with the humidity.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-23-2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast