Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,236

1 members and 3,235 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    i don't think COVID has had a huge impact on me snake-wise, although I got into snakes during the pandemic. Like Boger, until last fall I was getting only delivered groceries and such, although once the school year started, I started going back into grocery stores again, but doing nothing else in public still. In February I got sick and stayed sick for 6 weeks, which was totally COVID although tested negative. Started as insane stomach cramping and fever, but then moved to just my asthma getting so bad, making me go on more medications to manage it, for an additional 6 weeks, and all this time I still had a fever for over a month! I have no idea where I would have picked it up; must have been fiance being a teacher and high school students being stupid and not wearing masks; I have had contact with literally no one else. Or, I just got it in a grocery store from some person not wearing a mask and, I dunno, coughing into my eyeball or something? Most COVID is spread for asymptomatic people, and, since being vaccinated, it has taken me some adjusting to not immediately feel rage when I see people not wearing masks. You not wearing a mask impacts others; that's the thing that people who don't mask, don't realize. You not wearing a mask has killed people, because it prevents susceptible people from going to the hospital. My dad is a lung doctor and he had more than one patient die from being too scared to go to the emergency room because of COVID, and then delaying treatment for their chronic lung conditions until it was too late. Your actions affect people! COVID has just like highlighted how selfish and ignorant people are, to me, to be honest. But like I said, now that I'm vaccinated, and that vaccines are more widely available (at least here), my attitude is a bit better... Last weekend I removed the sign from my door saying I would not answer the door unless you were wearing a mask. I have eaten indoors in a restaurant like... three times... since being vaccinated.

I lost a good amount of income from not being able to work while sick (also was unemployed for about 6 weeks at the start). But the beginning of the pandemic, over the summer, was kind of nice for me because like... I got engaged... I was unemployed so got to spend more time with my pets and I had time to exercise more and stuff... I dunno. But getting like a really bad COVID made me just, pissed. it took me SO long to get better; I had residual effects for about a month in addition to the 6 weeks I was actively sick. Like I said, just because you weren't affected by it, you transferred it to someone else like me, who, until now, was fine. If you're not fully vaccinated, you have no business not wearing a mask. I still wear one in public, but, it feels like more out of habit now. I'm waiting until I don't feel weird about it.

Aside from that, I have done the curbside vet thing. My herp vet is still doing curbside vet, as is the vet I go to for the rabbit rescue I volunteer for. I don't really enjoy it, only because I can't speak with the vet as easily and find I forget some questions I have when they call me on the phone in the parking lot (and the vet my rescue uses will often not even talk to me at all lol). My herp vet is okay... Bringing him our Japanese rat snake this week for his checkup. I just prefer actually going in because like, with my big adult iguana, he gets so much rage, and sometimes the techs are scared of him or need another person (me) to help restrain him properly. Also, my rabbit literally went into GI stasis from going to the vet without me last summer, because he was so stressed out. This didn't happen when I was there in previous years. So, that necessitated an emergency vet visit at 3 am a few days later, and a big chunk of cash on my then-COVID-unemployed self. Sigh. I get why the vets are still doing curbside, though; I'm just not taking my rabbit in for his yearly checkup until they change that.
    ----------
    Animals in my house:

1.0 Green Iguana
    1.0 New Zealand Rabbit
    1.0 Blonde Trans-Pecos Rat Snake
    1.0 Japanese Rat Snake
    ? Panda King Isopod Colony
    6 Blue Death-Feigning Beetles
    4 Hellburnt Diabolical Ironclad Beetles

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TofuTofuTofu For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-21-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    I did have this happen as things started closing down when my dog was found in distress. This is a review I left for them but added some things to make it make sense here and give a more complete story.

My wife got home from work and was going to take our Pit Bull for a walk. This usually gets him very excited but not on this day. He was hardly walking and seemed out of juice. My wife called me and told me what was going on. I asked a few things and had her check him out but didn't hear anything suggesting the issue. I ended up leaving work early to check him myself as I am the animal person of the house with the must medical training. I found him cold to the touch with pale gums. He was stargazing and was not responding to stimuli. I loaded him up and headed toward a place called Animal ER or Northwest...... So with that name you would expect a ER response which is what I thought I needed. We couldn't go to our vet because it was almost 9pm.

I called ahead and was told they were seeing patients outside because of the virus and to call them when I arrive. Ok, easy enough. While on the phone I told them I had a dog in distress(listing the symptoms) and what I was driving hoping this would speed things up as I knew my dog was in bad shape.

I arrived and called like asked while I stood with my back door open checking on my dog. The phone rang, rang, and rang. Also know that I could see directly inside through the large clear windows, so they could see me. I thought maybe I called the wrong number but just as I hit the end button the receptionist finally picked up the phone, but it was too late. She looked at the phone, shrugged, and returned it to the base. I realize they have things to do but I needed to get my dog medical attention. I walked to the clear glass window and using my phone tapped on the glass. Once I had her attention I motioned that it was me calling and I needed help. This didn't get her up but did bring another young girl to the door.
    She asked what was going on and I told her. I told her I tapped on the glass because I was calling but not getting an answer.

Jump ahead a few minutes and I'm given a form to fill out. As I fill it out a lady I guess was a med tech came out and looked at my dog. She had no light and was looking at my dog in the dark. She asked about his gums and I said they where white. She disagreed so I took my flashlight out of my pocket and told her to look again at which time she said "they're grey." I said "whatever you want to call them, they are not normal." She then took my form and walked back inside. Then several minutes passed with nobody coming out. I start to wonder what's going on but stayed with my dog trusting they were working on getting him in.

Turned out they called the police. Here's the kicker.... I am the police. I had just got off work and found my dog in distress. I was still wearing my work pants and under shirt with my duty pistol and badge next to each other on my hip. So while I waited thinking they were working on giving my dog aid they were actually hiding inside waiting on the police to come tell me they were refusing me service. The Deputy pulled up and seemed as confused as I was. They ended up telling him that I tapped on the glass and was a big intimidating guy so they were refusing me service.

All they had to do was tell me that and not waste my time leaving my dog in discomfort. Being a police officer I know they have that right and would have easily left to get care elsewhere. Don't leave me standing there! Say it from inside. Heck send a text or email if you are so afraid of me. That info was on the form.

The Deputy and I got on our phones and I found the next closest place and took off. The second place was beyond wonderful and quickly came out with a gurney before asking me to fill out anything....actually they never did. We did it all over the phone after they started rendering aid. After doing what they needed they gave me bad news and took the time to talk to me about options and odds. Sadly the decision was made to euthanize my dog. He had a large tumor inside that ruptured making him bleed heavily internally.

I can not believe I was left standing there with my animal in need while these cowards called the police on me. I didn't curse, yell, or hit the glass with any force. I tapped it with the corner of my cell phone, which is in a rubber case. They just saw a big guy with a badge and gun and hid. They didn't even come get their marker they put under my wiper so I had to try and find a place to put it that it wouldn't fly away before leaving. Their response was not one of urgency and I will never be going back. I think it's obvious my dog needed care and they showed how little they care. Shameful. I'm not even mad they refused a police officer service. I'm angry they let my dog suffer.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

4. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-21-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts

Re: How is Covid affecting your hobbie?

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    I did have this happen as things started closing down when my dog was found in distress. This is a review I left for them but added some things to make it make sense here and give a more complete story.

My wife got home from work and was going to take our Pit Bull for a walk. This usually gets him very excited but not on this day. He was hardly walking and seemed out of juice. My wife called me and told me what was going on. I asked a few things and had her check him out but didn't hear anything suggesting the issue. I ended up leaving work early to check him myself as I am the animal person of the house with the must medical training. I found him cold to the touch with pale gums. He was stargazing and was not responding to stimuli. I loaded him up and headed toward a place called Animal ER or Northwest...... So with that name you would expect a ER response which is what I thought I needed. We couldn't go to our vet because it was almost 9pm.

I called ahead and was told they were seeing patients outside because of the virus and to call them when I arrive. Ok, easy enough. While on the phone I told them I had a dog in distress(listing the symptoms) and what I was driving hoping this would speed things up as I knew my dog was in bad shape.

I arrived and called like asked while I stood with my back door open checking on my dog. The phone rang, rang, and rang. Also know that I could see directly inside through the large clear windows, so they could see me. I thought maybe I called the wrong number but just as I hit the end button the receptionist finally picked up the phone, but it was too late. She looked at the phone, shrugged, and returned it to the base. I realize they have things to do but I needed to get my dog medical attention. I walked to the clear glass window and using my phone tapped on the glass. Once I had her attention I motioned that it was me calling and I needed help. This didn't get her up but did bring another young girl to the door.
    She asked what was going on and I told her. I told her I tapped on the glass because I was calling but not getting an answer.

Jump ahead a few minutes and I'm given a form to fill out. As I fill it out a lady I guess was a med tech came out and looked at my dog. She had no light and was looking at my dog in the dark. She asked about his gums and I said they where white. She disagreed so I took my flashlight out of my pocket and told her to look again at which time she said "they're grey." I said "whatever you want to call them, they are not normal." She then took my form and walked back inside. Then several minutes passed with nobody coming out. I start to wonder what's going on but stayed with my dog trusting they were working on getting him in.

Turned out they called the police. Here's the kicker.... I am the police. I had just got off work and found my dog in distress. I was still wearing my work pants and under shirt with my duty pistol and badge next to each other on my hip. So while I waited thinking they were working on giving my dog aid they were actually hiding inside waiting on the police to come tell me they were refusing me service. The Deputy pulled up and seemed as confused as I was. They ended up telling him that I tapped on the glass and was a big intimidating guy so they were refusing me service.

All they had to do was tell me that and not waste my time leaving my dog in discomfort. Being a police officer I know they have that right and would have easily left to get care elsewhere. Don't leave me standing there! Say it from inside. Heck send a text or email if you are so afraid of me. That info was on the form.

The Deputy and I got on our phones and I found the next closest place and took off. The second place was beyond wonderful and quickly came out with a gurney before asking me to fill out anything....actually they never did. We did it all over the phone after they started rendering aid. After doing what they needed they gave me bad news and took the time to talk to me about options and odds. Sadly the decision was made to euthanize my dog. He had a large tumor inside that ruptured making him bleed heavily internally.

I can not believe I was left standing there with my animal in need while these cowards called the police on me. I didn't curse, yell, or hit the glass with any force. I tapped it with the corner of my cell phone, which is in a rubber case. They just saw a big guy with a badge and gun and hid. They didn't even come get their marker they put under my wiper so I had to try and find a place to put it that it wouldn't fly away before leaving. Their response was not one of urgency and I will never be going back. I think it's obvious my dog needed care and they showed how little they care. Shameful. I'm not even mad they refused a police officer service. I'm angry they let my dog suffer.
    That's just horrible- their lack of communication after you called ahead & let them know all that you could...it's just bizarre. Maybe they had a bad experience recently with some similar situation (like an attempted hold-up?), that's all I can think that would explain their horrible treatment, but to leave you waiting instead of communicating was absurd & unprofessional on their part. Very sorry for the loss of your dog, & especially that they allowed him to suffer.

Years ago I lost my large male Doberman in a similarly sudden manner- I came home to find him really "out of it"- turned out he had liver cancer- quite large but wasn't detected until then because there were no symptoms & Dobies have such a deep chest- there was nothing visible. I got him to the vet though to help him pass- it was nothing like what happened to you, leaving you calling & waiting outside for their assistance.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-21-2021 at 08:08 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TofuTofuTofu View Post
    it has taken me some adjusting to not immediately feel rage when I see people not wearing masks. You not wearing a mask impacts others; that's the thing that people who don't mask, don't realize. You not wearing a mask has killed people, because it prevents susceptible people from going to the hospital. My dad is a lung doctor and he had more than one patient die from being too scared to go to the emergency room because of COVID, and then delaying treatment for their chronic lung conditions until it was too late. Your actions affect people! COVID has just like highlighted how selfish and ignorant people are, to me, to be honest.
    Feel rage? That reminds me of the great videos I saw of folks going crazy over another person not wearing a mask. The ones that instead of keeping distance approached the person and got in their face about it. I even saw some turn into assaults. If you want to talk about ignorant people those would be a better conversation, at least more entertaining.

Blaming a person that does not wear a mask for making people fail to seek an ER or get medical treatment they need is pretty out there in my eyes. So I don't wear a mask.....that keeps you from going to the doctor? How? Why? I don't hang out at the ER or doctor's office. So what is the hold up? Could it have been the hype from the media?

I get they may not want to go to a store I may be at maskless but the doctor? I don't get it. That just does not compute and seems rather dumb to me. I do not see how a person could allow fear of another not wearing a mask prevent them from getting medical care. I would do whatever I needed to get care I thought I needed. I am certainly not going to sit at home with failing lungs, or whatever, and do nothing.

I did not prevent anybody from going to see a doctor by not wearing a mask. They had the choice to go and if they decided not to so that is on them. Just like it is on me if I die from covid because I decided to not get the shot. I should not be allowed to blame someone else for my choice.

If you're not fully vaccinated, you have no business not wearing a mask. I still wear one in public, but, it feels like more out of habit now. I'm waiting until I don't feel weird about it.
    Habit or because of what people may think about you? I would guess it is more from the stigma those that go without a mask are said to belong to and not wanting to be confused as one of "them."

I would say mask may do something if the people used them correctly but the vast majority don't. My "mask" is not a mask but it was accepted as one. I wore a sun sleeve when I was wearing anything at all. You can see through them so I know it is not actually stopping anything. Yet I guess it made people feel good. With that I never appeared to get covid and I work with many people working with the general public daily. My wife on the other hand was wearing a proper mask and following the guidelines and ended up getting covid. I was not about to make her quarantine from me so I ended up getting it too. I saw it kinda like the chicken pox....let's go ahead and get it over with. She felt tired for a few days, lost taste and smell, and was a little nauseous a few nights. I lost my smell, had some shoulder aches(that could have been my nerve and disc issues in my neck) and ate EVERYTHING in the house. After 3-4 days we were both good and were back at it. My wife had it the worst having to stay trapped with me for two weeks. After having a confirmed case I was done with masks and started living my life. I only went to one store that refused me service. It was a liquor store......like those are special. All they did was loose a customer for good. It was me the clerk and one other customer. I could have easily avoided them and been in and out but when I offered to hold my shirt over my face the clerk said no. Then when I said they would loose my business he said "that's fine." Which it sure was. I will not force anybody to take my money. I went to another store and a maskless clerk helped me and got a hundred bucks. Though I don't wear a mask now I do make a point to try and avoid those in masks as to not make them uncomfortable. I will gladly give you six feet....but return the favor and don't come yelling at me about my life choices.
    KMG

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    That's just horrible- their lack of communication after you called ahead & let them know all that you could...it's just bizarre. Maybe they had a bad experience recently with some similar situation (like an attempted hold-up?), that's all I can think that would explain their horrible treatment, but to leave you waiting instead of communicating was absurd & unprofessional on their part. Very sorry for the loss of your dog, & especially that they allowed him to suffer.

Years ago I lost my large male Doberman in a similarly sudden manner- I came home to find him really "out of it"- turned out he had liver cancer- quite large but wasn't detected until then because there were no symptoms & Dobies have such a deep chest- there was nothing visible. I got him to the vet though to help him pass- it was nothing like what happened to you, leaving you calling & waiting outside for their assistance.
    I could see that but when the on duty officer arrived and told them I was a police officer they could have quickly taken my dog in. They told that officer they didn't care who I was and were refusing me service because I was a big, intimidating guy.
    KMG

Thanks

I could see that but when the on duty officer arrived and told them I was a police officer they could have quickly taken my dog in. They told that officer they didn't care who I was and were refusing me service because I was a big, intimidating guy.
    What a terrible vet clinic. I can't even understand this reasoning. I'm sorry they put your dog's life at risk for such a reason. That's beyond unprofessional.

Aside from that, I have done the curbside vet thing. My herp vet is still doing curbside vet, as is the vet I go to for the rabbit rescue I volunteer for. I don't really enjoy it, only because I can't speak with the vet as easily and find I forget some questions I have when they call me on the phone in the parking lot (and the vet my rescue uses will often not even talk to me at all lol). My herp vet is okay... Bringing him our Japanese rat snake this week for his checkup. I just prefer actually going in because like, with my big adult iguana, he gets so much rage, and sometimes the techs are scared of him or need another person (me) to help restrain him properly. Also, my rabbit literally went into GI stasis from going to the vet without me last summer, because he was so stressed out. This didn't happen when I was there in previous years. So, that necessitated an emergency vet visit at 3 am a few days later, and a big chunk of cash on my then-COVID-unemployed self. Sigh. I get why the vets are still doing curbside, though; I'm just not taking my rabbit in for his yearly checkup until they change that.

I'm tired of the whole covid thing and the politics and social stigma surrounding it and masks. The government shutdowns have done more damage to people than Covid ever could have.

Because I can't go into vet clinics it costs me a couple extra hundred dollars. I told the vet about a lump and it was surgically removed. Turns out they saw a lump I didn't see and they didn't see the lump I saw. So one lump was removed and biopsied but not the other and my dog had to go in for a second surgery. I bought a puppy a month covid started ramping up and got him a week before the shutdowns. I've never been able to go into the clinic with him and he's over a year old now.

On the snake side it hasn't been much of an issue. I'm so glad I haven't needed to take him to a vet. There is no way I would be comfortable with curbside dropping off an exotic animal at a clinic I have never been in with vets I've never met.
    Last edited by Trinityblood; 05-22-2021 at 01:56 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Trinityblood For This Useful Post:

KMG (05-22-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    One of my dogs has a vet appointment this coming Friday & I'm looking forward to actually seeing (in person) my vet again, as I'll be going in with him to the appointment, unlike what I had to do this last year with my other dog. Since I'm vaccinated, I'll be happily shopping in person (instead of grocery pick-up as I've been doing) & going into other businesses, as per the best available medical advice. Around here, some stores still ask that customers wear masks even IF they've been vaccinated, & I'm totally cool with that. I don't blame ANYONE for wanting to avoid catching COVID- in fact I share that view. But for now, I'll give my face shields a rest, & wear masks only if required or in a super-crowded situation, since the experts agree that the vaccine keeps me & others safe. I want all this hassle to end as much as anyone, & it will be if most of us follows the medical advice so we can eradicate it together- otherwise the variants can come back to bite us yet again, making this whole mess take even longer to deal with.

Another "hobby" of mine is lap-swimming every summer (outdoor only pool for now); last year, most of us swam anyway, with some precautions & not being crowded, & happily no one got sick. In my area at that time there wasn't many cases yet anyway, and being outside & very active, with plentiful heat-sunshine & humidity*, our risk proved to be quite minimal, as it will be again this summer. *The virus is said to prefer dryer & cooler air, & with many of us now vaccinated this year, I don't expect any problems at all. I'm also looking forward to browsing our many local thrift stores- I donate stuff but always come home with other things too- I can't resist a good "treasure hunt".
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trinityblood View Post
    What a terrible vet clinic. I can't even understand this reasoning. I'm sorry they put your dog's life at risk for such a reason. That's beyond unprofessional.

I'm tired of the whole covid thing and the politics and social stigma surrounding it and masks. The government shutdowns have done more damage to people than Covid ever could have.

Because I can't go into vet clinics it costs me a couple extra hundred dollars. I told the vet about a lump and it was surgically removed. Turns out they saw a lump I didn't see and they didn't see the lump I saw. So one lump was removed and biopsied but not the other and my dog had to go in for a second surgery. I bought a puppy a month covid started ramping up and got him a week before the shutdowns. I've never been able to go into the clinic with him and he's over a year old now.

On the snake side it hasn't been much of an issue. I'm so glad I haven't needed to take him to a vet. There is no way I would be comfortable with curbside dropping off an exotic animal at a clinic I have never been in with vets I've never met.
    Seems you and I feel similarly about some covid related things. I'm really tired of it too.

Took Howi to the vet today for updates on his shots. We could have gone in but we did curbside.

I would certainly want to go in if it was something serious.
    Last edited by KMG; 05-22-2021 at 02:44 PM.
    KMG

12. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Trinityblood (05-22-2021)

Thanks

Seems you and I feel similarly about some covid related things. I'm really tired of it too.

Took Howi to the vet today for updates on his shots. We could have gone in but we did curbside.

I would certainly want to go in if it was something serious.
    That people actually get angry or see it as a literal stigmatizing symbol proves to me how politicized this has all been. It was used to create an 'other' group that has carried on past the election year.

I had been wondering how vets treat something serious. If people aren't being allowed to go inside with their pets during worst case scenarios. Or if it gets in the way of quickly treating an animal in an emergency.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Trinityblood For This Useful Post:

KMG (05-22-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trinityblood View Post
    That people actually get angry or see it as a literal stigmatizing symbol proves to me how politicized this has all been. It was used to create an 'other' group that has carried on past the election year.

I had been wondering how vets treat something serious. If people aren't being allowed to go inside with their pets during worst case scenarios. Or if it gets in the way of quickly treating an animal in an emergency.
    Totaly agree.

Regarding snakes: (besides the other points I raised) No shows since covid here in the uk, but we have our first at the end of June (if the government relaxes its rules otherwise postponed again).

regarding pets: We still have to leave our animals outside the vets. My dog is terrified and needs my reassurance in there while waiting.

Regarding Human health: we cant even see our doctor, only phone consultations. Also no dental teeth cleaning with the water jet thing for over a year.

Regarding humanity: we are not allowed to touch (I miss a hug), I cant visit my elderly mother in her own home, and people have not been able to visit loved ones in nursing homes until a few weeks ago, even then not allowed to hug their dying parent and need to ware gloves aprons and masks (so those with dementia cant even recognise you especially with over a year not being able to have a visit). All the rules are backed up with fines.

Where is the humanity?
    Last edited by Ascended; 05-22-2021 at 04:56 PM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ascended For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-22-2021),KMG (05-22-2021)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast