Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,111

3 members and 3,108 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    The wife and I went out to a pet shop that I've never been. They have all kinds of things you don't see most places like rattlesnakes, cobras, mambas, gaboons, etc. All kinds of stuff!

Some of the staff had masks, but not all. Some of the customers had masks, but not all. We all got along fine. When I was checking out I asked if they had any Kingsnakes as I didn't see any in the store. The guy turned around and grabbed one they had behind the counter and hadn't put out yet. I went mainly for substrate but came home with this Lil girl, Brooks Kingsnake.

Last edited by KMG; 05-22-2021 at 08:04 PM.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Re: How is Covid affecting your hobbie?

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    The wife and I went out to a pet shop that I've never been. They have all kinds of things you don't see most places like rattlesnakes, cobras, mambas, gaboons, etc. All kinds of stuff!

Some of the staff had masks, but not all. Some of the customers had masks, but not all. We all got along fine. When I was checking out I asked if they had any Kingsnakes as I didn't see any in the store. The guy turned around and grabbed one they had behind the counter and hadn't put out yet. I went mainly for substrate but came home with this Lil girl, Brooks Kingsnake.

That's "my kind of substrate"! Nice!
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

KMG (05-22-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    I actually got back into snakes BECAUSE of last year's craziness. I needed to do something constructive to get my mind off things, thusly I got my BP last fall. In terms of how things have been affected, not really all that much if I'm being quite honest. I was already a homebody so the social aspect didn't hit me too terribly hard, and my state, while still badgering about masks up to this day, at least has allowed regular existence to continue otherwise in most ways compared to other sectors of the world so it's not like I've not left my house whatsoever for over a year.

As for the actual question, tbh the only hangup has been the issue of how getting my T10 from AP will likely take quite a bit longer to get here than it normally would've due to orders getting backed up. Otherwise most of my supplies have come from online by default as pet stores just don't have what I'm looking for 90% of the time.

There is another tangible issue however in that I need to find some kind of stopgap job to make more than what I am now to both further support my hobby and start saving up so I can prepare to move out on my own (especially since due to circumstances I've not gotten a single dime out of any of the stimulus thrown around), but most conventional places still require masks and I just flat out can't wear the things for extended periods of time, especially in hot weather. Last summer I nearly fainted on two separate occasions just from running errands because I could not get fresh air and kept rebreathing the hot, stale air due to the mask keeping it in.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    I actually got back into snakes BECAUSE of last year's craziness. I needed to do something constructive to get my mind off things, thusly I got my BP last fall. In terms of how things have been affected, not really all that much if I'm being quite honest. I was already a homebody so the social aspect didn't hit me too terribly hard, and my state, while still badgering about masks up to this day, at least has allowed regular existence to continue otherwise in most ways compared to other sectors of the world so it's not like I've not left my house whatsoever for over a year.

As for the actual question, tbh the only hangup has been the issue of how getting my T10 from AP will likely take quite a bit longer to get here than it normally would've due to orders getting backed up. Otherwise most of my supplies have come from online by default as pet stores just don't have what I'm looking for 90% of the time.

There is another tangible issue however in that I need to find some kind of stopgap job to make more than what I am now to both further support my hobby and start saving up so I can prepare to move out on my own (especially since due to circumstances I've not gotten a single dime out of any of the stimulus thrown around), but most conventional places still require masks and I just flat out can't wear the things for extended periods of time, especially in hot weather. Last summer I nearly fainted on two separate occasions just from running errands because I could not get fresh air and kept rebreathing the hot, stale air due to the mask keeping it in.
    Pets are a great way to stay upbeat & unstressed- a positive distraction. Some necessities/products being out of stock & taking longer to arrive has been a downside, for sure, though.

I'm very glad to not need a mask in our hot humid summers here too- I can well imagine anyone could faint at some point. Happily they're saying that this virus does poorly in heat & humidity too, so between that & having gotten vaccinated as soon as I could, I'll only be wearing a minimal mask if requested by certain locations (like doctor's offices).

Best of luck on the employment front-
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    I actually got back into snakes BECAUSE of last year's craziness. I needed to do something constructive to get my mind off things, thusly I got my BP last fall.

Same for me. My work is a health care consultant ,mainly in nursing homes. As they were locked down from last march, I had no work for 9 months, even after that work has been slow. We were not allowed out for most of that time except to get food and such.
    So I too got back into the hobbie as a positive distraction, and something to do. With the lack of work I had time to build snake Vivariums and tub racks. And looking after them has helped a lot with something positive to focus on.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ascended For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-23-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post

Nice pickup!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Trinityblood For This Useful Post:

KMG (05-23-2021)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123