Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,873

2 members and 2,871 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Well, if nothing else works out spend $50-75. Buy a used bullet proof vest. Or a cheap plate carrier.

Hit a gun forum an ask. Yes, they will want your measurements an a pic of you wearing it

Most departments buy new every 3-5 years.

Good luck!

PS: If you don’t find anything PM me an I’ll check the surplus locker. But I think I gave all the female vest to a class.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-21-2021),wnateg (05-21-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts

Re: Need Snake Bite Proof Jacket

Quote Originally Posted by tempo36 View Post
    I question your MD a little bit. I'm not in Plastics, but I am in medicine. This sounds a bit like an MD who is imagining a risk "from snakes" without really realizing what the actual risk is. A breast implant is not placed shallow, even in the subglandular placement. Your snake would still have to puncture a fair amount of tissue layers to reach the implant itself. Your MD may, despite their best intentions, be imagining your snake puncturing 1"+ into your breast as opposed to the more likely millimeters.

Not that protecting yourself is a problem per se. A leather jacket or leather vest of even modest thickness should be enough to prevent most anything from puncturing deeply enough into your tissue to reach an implant.

But I suppose I don't know fully what kind of snakes you're managing. If you have something with 1-2" teeth, foam might be better than leather. Snake teeth are meant to puncture skin, and leather is skin. Heavy tanned leather might be sufficient, but I'd feel better with something that has sufficient thickness beyond the length of the teeth in question, hence the consideration for foam.
    Like KMG said, it's more peace of mind. Of course, my surgeon is no snake expert. He simply said if a fang punctured, then they would need to be replaced. I do have ETBs and a large retic, among others, so the risk is slightly more than a little ball python or something.

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    I feel the same way but I gathered it was more for her piece of mind than a suggestion by the doctor, but not knowing exactly what the OP had done I threw out what I thought would work best.

Op, another idea I had was a plastic chest protector like they use in motocross.

Have you actually been bit on the breasts? I'm usually shirtless at home and haven't managed that.
    No, I've only been bitten on the arms/hands, but like you said, peace of mind!
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wnateg For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-21-2021),KMG (05-21-2021)

Thanks

Leather Motorcycle vest? I have seen some that are really heavy leather. Still leaves your arms free and you will have mobility..

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Auntie_Moe For This Useful Post:

wnateg (05-24-2021)

Thanks
    Even wearing a shirt (and a bra, although I know those don't cover the entire breast area) would probably prevent injuries? I know you have ETBs, which have longer teeth, but... A snake would have to press its face way into your chest, at the exact correct angle? A chest is generally a "flat" surface (even breasts, lol) and on the scale compared to a snake's head, would not be biting into a rounded surface they could get their mouth around, so I think getting a good enough grip on anything enough to pierce through clothes, skin, and the implant is pretty unlikely.

In my experience, with my iguana, I have had to get stitches twice from him. Biting through even thin clothing reduces it from sutures to a tiny dot or scratch that heals overnight and doesn't even "open" the skin--less than a papercut would. However, my iguana does not "latch on" when he bites. His teeth are not as long as ETB teeth (I think), and are maybe 1/4 inch long or less. The bites with sutures were on my arm, because he could get his entire mouth around it, and my foot, again, where he could get his entire mouth around it. He tried to bite the other arm once, when I had a thin long-sleeved shirt on, and I got kind of a "rug burn" like bite (annoying and itchy, but not really any blood). Ditto for my leg wearing thin pajama pants, which turned into just one small dot/scratch, although that was over my shin bone and not an ideal place for him to chomp because it was a flat surface. I saw him bite a vet tech's open palm once... He kind of bounced off, but there was a little blood (she is probably glad I no longer live near there). So, a flatter surface is probably hard for teeth to get into.

Nothing wrong with peace of mind, though! Just thought I'd share that, for me, really small measures virtually negates actual skin-puncture bites. But, there's nothing harmful about wearing something extra to give peace of mind or increase confidence.

Also, on some level, I'm sure your doctor heard "snake" and made all kind of mental leaps that most people unfamiliar with reptiles do. He probably thinks you are frequently being attacked by reptiles.
    ----------
    Animals in my house:

1.0 Green Iguana
    1.0 New Zealand Rabbit
    1.0 Blonde Trans-Pecos Rat Snake
    1.0 Japanese Rat Snake
    ? Panda King Isopod Colony
    6 Blue Death-Feigning Beetles
    4 Hellburnt Diabolical Ironclad Beetles

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TofuTofuTofu For This Useful Post:

wnateg (05-24-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Some of my vivs are at face level and i now were my glasses rather than contact lenses as I had a few near misses when they were lunging out of the viv to grab the mouse /rat ... that’s the only problem with the hairdryer method ( if it is a problem) that they tend to be very aggressive strikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

wnateg (05-24-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Wnateg, maybe you just need an over-sized bra with some extra "custom padding"??? I still can't picture you being comfortable wearing much leather in TX for much of the year? -but you could buy some pieces & customize a bra for protection, or use high-density foam inside it. Might also be fun if you have real nosy neighbors too...
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

wnateg (05-24-2021)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    what about a hockey goalie padded shirt? I've seen them range from $30-100
    They have strategic padding on the arms/chest and lots of varieties (if too hot, you could cut off the sleeves?) and the padding is probably thick enough to give a buffer from an ETB fang. Retics generally slash, not puncture.

I've had an ATB swing down and bite my hip, went through 3 layers of fabric (including denim) and slightly puncture the skin so while I do think it is unlikely you would get an implant puncture from a chest bite from an ETB, I totally understand wanting to be cautious, cause if everything lines up just perfectly, that could be terrible.
    For the Horde!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-21-2021),wnateg (05-24-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Sorted ... we will be needing photos of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Ascended (05-21-2021),TofuTofuTofu (05-23-2021),wnateg (05-24-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    ... we will be needing photos of course ...
    I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

wnateg (05-24-2021)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Then you have Good Will an a $5 down vest. Heck, it will stop a dog bite let alone a Retic.

Good luck!
    Last edited by 303_enfield; 05-21-2021 at 09:24 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

wnateg (05-24-2021)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234