Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,778

0 members and 1,778 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Re: Health & Other Issues and properly caring for reptiles right now.....

Sorry to hear you’re still having some issues, Dave. I think it takes a big person to admit that they’ve got a little too much going on. I read this not as a guy who’s giving up on some animals, but who’s putting them first and making a call that, while painful, has their best interests at heart. I think it takes a lot of love to feel the way I know you do about your animals and still consider what you’re considering. Plus, you get the added benefit of them, if you choose to donate them, going to a place where not only will they be well taken care of, but could be used to bring in new people to the hobby who get to see them there.

Anyway, I had this grand idea that I was going to be able to word this in a way that made you feel better but alas, I’m not nearly as eloquent as I like to think I am

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-25-2022),Bogertophis (12-02-2021),dakski (12-02-2021),Kam (12-02-2021),richardhind1972 (12-02-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

There is no shame in admitting that caring for a particular critter is beyond your knowledge or physical capability, and arranging for it to go to a more appropriate home.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-25-2022),Bogertophis (12-02-2021),dakski (12-02-2021),Kam (12-02-2021)

Thanks

I'm sorry to hear about your health issues. I personally don't have any health problems but sometimes life is overwhelming and I miss a day cleaning tubs and feel guilty. So I definitely can relate. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your lady. If you every feel the need to re home someone temporarily I'll make a spot in my quarenteen rack. Feel free to reach out if you're in need.

Sincerely,
    Sean

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sp0420 For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-25-2022),dakski (12-02-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    Dave- your heart & mind are both in the right place. I had a feeling you've been struggling lately as you've not been on the forum so much. With all the home renovation & health issues that both you & Katie have on-going, I think you're making the right decision & for all the right reasons, so don't second-guess yourself or feel bad about it.

I've kept some lizards in the past (including a bearded dragon, various geckos, a couple night lizards & a wild desert iguana that just needed some temporary rehab after a near-drowning in someone's water tank) and you're absolutely correct that they're far more labor-intensive. That's why I've stuck with snakes-only for a very long time now- they fit me & my lifestyle, & have similar needs. When you have some health issues, you sure don't need the added stress or guilt feelings when you're less able to keep up with everything.

We're sorta like a "family" here- please know that we're on your side. Sooner or later, most of us will experience similar challenges, so thank you for sharing your experience as always.
    You've always gone above & beyond for all your animals- it's time to give yourself a little break, & take the best care of you & Katie too. I certainly support your decision.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-25-2022),bcr229 (12-02-2021),Caitlin (12-03-2021),dakski (12-02-2021),Kam (12-02-2021),richardhind1972 (12-02-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,533 Times in 877 Posts

Dave,

You are Saint! There are many who wouldn’t have thought as hard as you did in regards to this matter. Your idea is a grand one. You and Katie’s health are paramount and this gesture would help just a little bit, I say go for it. Nothing but love and respect for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-02-2021 at 09:37 PM. Reason: fixed typo

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kam For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-02-2021),Caitlin (12-03-2021),dakski (12-03-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Thank you all!

I really appreciate the perspective and the support.

I meet Brian next week and plan to re-home them. I think it's best for all and in the end I know they will be cared for and that's what matters.

I think the idea of simplifying my life some is a good choice right now as well. It will help keep me passionate and excited about the reptiles and I will probably enjoy interacting with the ones I have and really enjoy more.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-25-2022),Bogertophis (12-03-2021),Hugsplox (12-05-2021),Kam (12-03-2021),WrongPython (12-04-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

In case people didn't see my other threads, I did re-home both Rhacos and they are doing great at their new home!

Everyone else has been good reptile wise, but my health continues to be an issue.

I was in the hospital last week with cellulitis for the 2nd time in 18 months. This time I knew what to look for and went before it got out of hand. Last year I almost died of sepsis and entered the hospital with 102F and spent 3 days in the infectious disease unit.

This time, I went as soon as I saw physical signs of the cellulitis and only spent 1 day in the hospital. Strong antibiotics and being sick knocked me out for about 5 days, but I am okay now.

The reptiles pretty much fended for themselves during this time. Everyone had water and the thermostats did their job, although temps were off in a few tanks because temps are dropping fast here the North East US and the basement/reptile area dropped about 6 degrees in the past week. Today I did a lot of cleaning and slightly adjusted some temps and gave everyone fresh water and food for the two lizards. The snakes are due to eat in the next day or two so no one is worse off there.

I should point out that I have redundant thermostats, so they cut off if it gets too hot. Still a few tanks were a couple degrees higher than a like and that leaves less margin for safety. The thermostats shut off as they were supposed to, but I am perfectionist and wasn't happy.

Anyway, everyone is fine. Still, it makes me sad when I can't spend time with them and especially when I am too sick to even check on them much.

I am not sure why I write all this. I think it's cathartic for me. I also have no plans of cutting down the crew. All the reptiles are able to sustain themselves for 3-5 days without issue as long as they have water. Still, I pride myself on being Johnny on the spot with them.

If nothing else, I hope this helps others keepers' who have health issues. I have a lot, including being immune compromised and having a transplanted kidney. I am sure others are dealing with similar, or better, or worse, stuff and I hope I can encourage you to stay in the hobby. I also hope this emphasizes the importance of proper tanks, proper husbandry, and proper thermostats!

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-25-2022),Armiyana (10-24-2022),Bogertophis (10-24-2022),Gio (10-24-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    Dave, I'm so glad you got medical help sooner this time & that you're on the mend now. You've been quiet on the forum lately so I was wondering if you were okay, & hoping you were.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-25-2022),dakski (10-24-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    Hey,

First of all, best of luck!! I'm hoping for good things to come your way.

Secondly, you have the absolute perfect animals to deal with something like this. Feeding once a month for most of the animals you have is perfectly acceptable and actually recommended based on newer information coming out about feeding. Winter is coming, and feeding adult snakes can be skipped for the winter season. I'm done the end of this month until mid or late March.

Remember when we talked about substrate a while back?

Maybe for the time being, you can use coco chips. I honestly spot clean when there is waste, otherwise you can get a couple of months or more with coco before you have to power clean.

Just add some more sub when you scoop the bad stuff.

Then, you're looking at water changes every 2 days, 3 if the bowls are big, and you are good to go. Pretend its like brushing your teeth. You swing into the room, get it done and move on!

That's my positive pep talk for you sir.

Just light a small spark in yourself to get the water changed and clean visible waste and you are golden.

I think you have this no problem.

I too have been hit with adversity. I actually got my first boa 3 days after I had my left quadricep reattached after completely tearing it off.

Last year I had 2 artificial discs put in my neck due to a jujitsu accident.

You are not alone in the battle.

You take great care of your animals.

All you need to do is keep the minimum basics up and don't feel any guilt.

Your reptiles will give back to you by not needing you as much as you think they do.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-24-2022 at 11:01 PM. Reason: typo- bowels > bowls

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-25-2022),Armiyana (10-24-2022),Bogertophis (10-24-2022),dakski (10-24-2022),GoingPostal (10-26-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Brother dakski, it’s been quite a bit of reading over these posts but I want and need you to know. Our BP.net family is listening to you and extending our concern and support for both Katie and yourself. We all recognize you as the professional and heartfelt keeper that you are and knowing how much your collection means to you. We’ve all gained knowledge and experience from you and your great wisdom in so many areas as well as herpetology, husbandry , and so many other topics. Please don’t think of your current situations as permanent. Circumstances can change and we have to be committed to extract the joy and goodness in all situations. We do have to make our health the priority over mostly anything else. We have to be healthy and well to be able and positioned to help someone else or something else. It may be cathartic but it’s also necessary and part of the healing process to vent and express emotion. If there is anything I can do to help you get through , please let me know. I’ll pm my contact info to you. Stay strong and courageous!
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 10-25-2022 at 07:15 AM.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-25-2022),dakski (10-25-2022),Gio (10-25-2022)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast