Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,919

3 members and 2,916 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 492 Posts

Re: Health & Other Issues and properly caring for reptiles right now.....

So sorry to hear about your troubles, Dave and Katie! I hope you two get some answers soon and wish you the best. I'm also in the group that would be over in a flash to help out if I lived a bit closer. That said, feel free to give me a holler if you ever feel like things are reaching a crisis level. There's a good chance I may be able to swing a visit for something like that. If you just need to talk, feel free to PM me as well.

I feel you on the "not having the snakes out as much as I'd like" front. Between some work-related burnout and a not-insignificant scare of my own recently, I've only had the snakes out for what I'd consider a baseline amount of exercise and haven't been changing out water bowls as frequently. (I've taken to changing them out every other day. My kids really like fresh water, particularly the girls). It's made me think thrice about bringing in new additions or that rehome I was offered. The resiliency and hardiness of snakes makes them a lot easier to manage in situations compared to other pets, but that kinda breaks down when things and collections scale up (heh).

You've always done your best by your reptiles, and I don't think that this will change that. It's obvious that they're in good hands. Again, I wish you and Katie the best, and I hope you two feel better soon!
    0.1 Sonoran Boa sigma​: "Adelita" ('19 Hypo het. leopard)
    1.0 Boa imperator longicauda: "Kuzco" ('19 het. anery)
    0.1 West Papuan Morelia spilota​: "Pandora" ('20)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

dakski (05-20-2021),GoingPostal (05-20-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I don't know how I missed this thread until now. Dave, I'm so sorry to hear that Katie has been unwell- & especially that the problem isn't yet solved. As mentioned already, I also noticed you've been sorta quiet lately & I assumed it was related to the loss of Bailey & Cleo- I am so sorry to hear that there's much more to it. Don't beat yourself up for having to prioritize things for a while, it happens to most of us sooner or later, & it's a good reminder for us all, to keep our collections manageable- none of us ever knows when things in our life could change. I hope Katie's health gets back to normal soon- I'm sure it's very rough because she has been your "rock" for so much of the time. You're both in my good thoughts- now & always.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (05-20-2021),GoingPostal (05-20-2021)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Hi Dave, sorry to hear about the recent struggles and Katie's health issues, I hope they can figure out what is it and you BOTH start feeling better soon.

I get the burn out, been in this hobby over 20 years and there have been times over those years when things are bad or too much going on or just burnt out and can't handle... the reptiles really are hardy and it's nice to know they can get along with some slack in care here and there, especially for someone like you that has such a great routine and setup. They will be okay with a dirty cage here and there and a few missed meals.

Thank you for sharing, take it one day (sometimes... one hour!) at a time and hang in there.
    *hugs*
    For the Horde!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-20-2021),dakski (05-20-2021),GoingPostal (05-20-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

First, thank you to all who responded here, liked, or just read this thread. It was really helpful to read all the kind and logical comments. I also hope this helped some other keepers who might struggle from time to time as well.

Secondly, I had a friend who just moved to the area come over and keep me company yesterday and everyone got fresh water (on time) and cages that needed cleaning were cleaned. It was fun because she had only met a few of the reptiles, but met almost everyone yesterday. She was intrigued and I might even have another convert.

I feel better having seen everyone and saw that they are all fine. Knowing they have fresh water is good too. These days, if I fall behind one day, it can quickly turn into 2-3 days.

I have not fed the snakes yet, but plan to tomorrow or Monday at the latest.

Thank you to all again.
    Last edited by dakski; 05-22-2021 at 05:11 PM.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-22-2021),GoingPostal (05-22-2021),jmcrook (05-22-2021),richardhind1972 (05-22-2021),WrongPython (05-22-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,533 Times in 877 Posts

Dave,

First and foremost,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    First, thank you to all who responded here, liked, or just read this thread. It was really helpful to read all the kind and logical comments. I also hope this helped some other keepers who might struggle from time to time as well.

Secondly, I had a friend who just moved to the area come over and keep me company yesterday and everyone got fresh water (on time) and cages that needed cleaning were cleaned. It was fun because she had only met a few of the reptiles, but met almost everyone yesterday. She was intrigued and I might even have another convert.

I feel better having seen everyone and saw that they are all fine. Knowing they have fresh water is good too. These days, if I fall behind one day, it can quickly turn into 2-3 days.

I have not fed the snakes yet, but plan to tomorrow or Monday at the latest.

Thank you to all again.
    It's wonderful that you got to have an old friend pay a visit, especially one you can share your pets with too, & one that can even help you out some.

It may not be exactly the same things, but "life" has a way of smacking us all upside the head at times. This has been quite a year for so many, besides COVID, there was that massive power outage in TX & other areas. It's "always something" & I hope that for you & Katie, your troubles end up in the rear view mirror very soon.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (05-22-2021),richardhind1972 (05-22-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Fellow BP.net members,

I wanted to share an honest and heartfelt post with you.

I am struggling to meet my standards of care of my reptiles right now. Everyone has fresh water and clean tanks (currently), but I am spending very little time with the reptiles right now (more my issue than an issue for them, I know) and haven't fed the snakes in about a month. They are all fine and I know that no one is ill or worse for the wear and that an occasional short fast can be good for all (even the corn snakes - who both shed and would have missed at least 1 feeding time anyway - they eat every two weeks).

Katie (my wife) has been sick for 3 weeks and we are still trying to figure out what's going on. She has been out of work the majority of that time as well. They think (they being Yale here in CT) that anything life threatening has been ruled out, but she is having serious issues non the less. She got significantly better and then regressed greatly the past few days. She, unlike me, is not used to being sick and is struggling with the whole situation. I am trying to be there for her, and also taking her to tests and to doctors, an average of 3-4 times a week the past 3 weeks.

On top of that, as many of you know, we lost our sweet dog, Bailey, last week and Cleo, the LG, 3 weeks before that.

I have my own health issues having had a kidney transplant, being immune suppressed, and having multiple other health issues, many related to the transplant and the medication I have to take to keep me from rejecting the kidney. Some of these issues have gotten worse over the past year or two.

All of this is weighing on me mentally and physically. I am falling asleep early most nights and sleeping late and/or getting up to take Katie to doctors. I feel overwhelmed right now by work and basic chores. As much as I love the reptiles, and usually get motivated to spend time with them and care for them, it feels like too much right now and I am lacking in motivation and energy. Even if I make it down to the reptile area most days, I don't have the energy some days to do even the most basic maintenance (like clean a tank). So, and again, not the end of the world, I've gone up to 2 days with dirty tanks and often get overwhelmed easily and struggle to get everything I need done. I have barely handled the reptiles for fun in the past month and although I do not resent them at all, I feel that I am unable to care for them as I would like to.

I know this will pass and I will get back on track. When that is, I am not sure. I plan to feed the snakes tomorrow and the lizards have pretty much been on schedule on eating give or take a day or two here and there. Most eat every other day or in Ezzy (Leachie) and Frank's (BTS) case, 2X a week.

I also have barely been on the forum and haven't posted much over the past month either. I love the forum, but if I have to choose between caring for my family (reptiles included) or spending time posting, I have to choose my family.

I wanted to share all this for two reasons. First, I hope others have some thoughts on helping me get back in the game. Regardless, writing this has been cathartic. Secondly, I want others to know that life can get in the way sometimes and especially if you have established animals and proper heating elements with thermostats and check temps regularly, reptiles are pretty tough. Having said that, keeping up on maintenance and feeding is important because if life throws you a curve ball, you are on top of things to start and can have a little flexibility.

Thank you to any and all who read this and especially for those who are able to comment.
    Hi ... I’m guessing they’ve ruled out Covid 19 for your wife ??

Just that point about her getting better then suddenly worse ties in to a pattern from Covid ... poorly for week or so , then a few much better days then around day 10 a sudden plummet in health ..

Hope everything works out .. I reckon your mate helping out will make a massive difference to your mindset

Regards

Zinc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

dakski (05-22-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,533 Times in 877 Posts

Dave,

I hope and pray that for speedy recovery for you both. If I were close I would be over every weekend. I know exactly how you are feeling as I am dealing with similar issues. But I will keep you both in my prayers.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kam For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-22-2021),dakski (05-22-2021),richardhind1972 (05-23-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Hi ... I’m guessing they’ve ruled out Covid 19 for your wife ??

Just that point about her getting better then suddenly worse ties in to a pattern from Covid ... poorly for week or so , then a few much better days then around day 10 a sudden plummet in health ..

Hope everything works out .. I reckon your mate helping out will make a massive difference to your mindset

Regards

Zinc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Thanks Zinc.

Yeah. Definitely not Covid. Katie has been vaccinated for some time and also has had 5 Covid tests in the past few weeks. Both kinds of tests too.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-22-2021),richardhind1972 (05-23-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kam View Post
    Dave,

I hope and pray that for speedy recovery for you both. If I were close I would be over every weekend. I know exactly how you are feeling as I am dealing with similar issues. But I will keep you both in my prayers.

And we'll be thinking about you too, Kam.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (05-22-2021),Kam (05-22-2021)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast