Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,304

0 members and 2,304 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Health & Other Issues and properly caring for reptiles right now.....

Three quick things.

1. I had a scare with my kidney in the past couple of weeks and had to have a kidney biopsy (on my transplanted kidney). It's the first I've had to have in about 8 years. It looks like there may have been a confluence of events that caused concern and reduced kidney function, but that things are potentially improving. I'll have a lot more information this week after the biopsy results come back and I discuss with my nephrologist (kidney doctor). I'll advise when I can, but assume no news is good news.

2. On top of dealing with kidney stuff, I got COVID the day after my biopsy. I've had it for a week and it's kicking my butt. Having a reduced immune system doesn't help (see kidney transplant recipient above). However, they put me on antiviral meds, stopped one immune suppressant, and I am fully vaccinated. I am convinced that combination kept me out of the hospital. Today is my first day upright in a week and I am tired and weak, but able to write this. Cough was killer, but is 80% better now, as are the chills/hot spells. I am mostly dealing with severe weakness and a cough now.

3. Katie's been a saint. She's cared for me, made sure I drank a ton of fluids and fed me, and even did a bunch of the reptile stuff (with me). I wasn't much help because of how weak I was and still am. However, we worked together and she cleaned bowls and tanks etc. All the reptiles are doing fine, but Behira and Feliz will eat a few days past 3 weeks as Katie draws the line with feeding, at least for now.

As you all know, I worry about my pets. Katie's been there for me and them beyond what I expected.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Animallover3541 (11-22-2022),Bogertophis (11-21-2022),GoingPostal (11-23-2022),Homebody (11-22-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    David (dakski), it's great that you're sharing what you're going through with the rest of us on this forum- because none of us ever knows when we might be similarly "out of commission" & we need to consider (ahead of time, if possible) just how we might deal with our responsibilities in similar circumstances. It's something no one wants to think about, & as many members here are younger & likely consider themselves to be healthy, it's probably tempting to think none of this applies to them- but in reality, it could- we never know.

In truth, you're not even the first long-time member here to be laid-low by COVID- I got some pms about a year ago from another member who was unable to continue working, or dealing with their snake-breeding projects, due to COVID- fortunately, "they" had (have?) help from those close to them, but the recovery can be very long, as it was/is in their case- even though they didn't have predisposing issues. I'm not sharing their identity out of respect for their privacy, as they apparently didn't wish to discuss it here- they just wanted me to know why they disappeared.

This forum has been around a while, & over time, many members have come & gone for all sorts of reasons & life changes- but in these more recent years we can only wonder how many others we have lost that were pandemic-related. We all want to charge forward in our lives, not live in fear of the many "what-ifs"- but it never hurts to have some contingency plans. It's easy to take our health for granted.

David- it sounds to me like you're in good hands & we're all pulling for you to regain your health.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Alicia (11-22-2022),Animallover3541 (11-22-2022),dakski (11-22-2022),GoingPostal (11-23-2022),Homebody (11-22-2022)

Thanks

Great news all around.

The biopsy came back and although the kidney had been less than stellar for some time, it appears to be on the mend/recovering from "acute trauma." They think it was a confluence of events that caused the kidney to operate below normal capacity for a bit and it took longer than expected to recover. Either way, blood work in 6 weeks and assuming that comes back stable, should be able to breathe easy for a bit.

In the meantime, COVID symptoms are easing and I am feeling better.

Again, so thankful for Katie and we are both incredibly relieved today.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (11-23-2022),Bogertophis (11-23-2022),GoingPostal (11-23-2022),Homebody (11-22-2022),plateOfFlan (11-22-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Great news all around.

The biopsy came back and although the kidney had been less than stellar for some time, it appears to be on the mend/recovering from "acute trauma." They think it was a confluence of events that caused the kidney to operate below normal capacity for a bit and it took longer than expected to recover. Either way, blood work in 6 weeks and assuming that comes back stable, should be able to breathe easy for a bit.

In the meantime, COVID symptoms are easing and I am feeling better.

Again, so thankful for Katie and we are both incredibly relieved today.
    And just in time for Thanksgiving too...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, EVERYONE!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (11-23-2022),dakski (11-23-2022)

Thanks

A few updates.

1. They are switching my immune suppression as further review of my kidney biopsy revealed scarring from one of the immune suppressants I take. It's not abnormal, but it would shorten the life of the kidney if I stayed on it. I am switching to a once a month IV immune suppressant drug that is new(er) and not nephrotoxic (poison to my kidney) like the old drug was.

2. I spent the last 5 days in the hospital and was released today. I went in Thursday night with 102F+ fever and cellulitis and probably was septic as well. A small sore, on my abdomen again, got agitated and became infected and spread in less than a day. My temperature Thursday night went from normal (98.6) to 102F+ in 2 hours. My abdomen went from having a small red speck to 70% of it covered in painful redness and hot to the touch in the same period of time.

I am not out of the woods yet and still on strong meds to further get rid of the infection and ensure it doesn't come back immediately. They weren't planning on sending me home until tomorrow or Wednesday at the earliest, but I improved dramatically from yesterday to today. I have to say, I am not a fan of being in the hospital, although I seem to spend an awful lot of time there.

3. They are stopping one of the other immune suppressant medications I take to help prevent this from happening again. 3X in 1.5 years is too much. 2X I was admitted and this was the worst. I wasn't "stable" until 7AM Friday morning and this time, they knew what they were dealing with (in part) because it's the 3rd time in 1.5 years! The first time I was only in the hospital for 3 days and they didn't know what was causing my issues for a day. This time, they had a head start.

Additionally, I am going to be taking a low dose of antibiotics indefinitely to prevent any small infections from becoming big ones.

Why share all this?

Aside from scaring me regarding my mortality, and being in pain and sick for days, and being poked and prodded, etc. and just wanting to write it out and share with the community because it's cathartic. It also, obviously, impacted the reptiles.

I came home late this afternoon and everyone is fine. However, I have a lot of work to do tomorrow when I hope I feel up to it. My mother is coming to help as Katie is beyond exhausted right now. Some soiled tanks and two hungry lizards. However, Katie made sure all thermostats were working and everyone had water (which they did the whole time). I have local people to call if Katie needs or wants help, but it wasn't necessary...this time.

I'll clean all the tanks that need it and change everyone's water tomorrow. Behira and Feliz are due to eat today, but I'll feed in the next couple of days. They will not be any worse for the wear, I am sure.

Today I did feed Frank (BTS) and Carra (LG) and made sure their tanks were clean. Luckily I had fed them both Wednesday, so they were hungry, but okay.

I know they aren't mad, and they will be fine, but I hate not being there to care for the collection. I am usually meticulous about clean tanks, fresh water, feeding schedules, etc. I guess because of that, everyone is okay, plus Katie checking in.

If she had to, she would clean tanks and change waters etc. I didn't ask because she was so exhausted caring for me and the dogs and being at the hospital every day with me. She draws the line at feeding, which she has no experience with, and I have other people who can come in if I am gone for a prolonged period. Also, snakes are pretty adaptable, especially when fed regularly. Having said all that, they are really my reptiles and some are getting big enough that Katie isn't completely comfortable handling them and getting them out of the tanks. So unless it's an emergency, I won't ask that of her.

This is scary from a keeper perspective because these unplanned hospital visits are probably not going away. There is a huge unpredictably to being both immune compromised and having a transplanted kidney. I am probably making a mountain out of a molehill, but I again question my ability to adequately care for them.

Anyway, went on here and am beyond exhausted. I wanted to explain my absence of late and also write it out and see what others thought.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (02-21-2023),Bogertophis (02-20-2023),Caitlin (02-21-2023),EL-Ziggy (03-06-2023),GoingPostal (02-21-2023),Homebody (02-21-2023)

Thanks
    Oh, wow- I've noticed you logged in here, just thought (hoped?) you didn't feel like posting. Sorry to hear you've been in the hospital again, that's the pits. And you don't have to convince me- no one would blame you one bit if you decided to further reduce your collection- all those animals cause you stress when you can't keep up, & some aren't ideal for Katie either.

There's no one right number of pets to keep that fits everyone- we're all walking a different path, & over time, that path will change too. One person might be fine with 40+, another might be overwhelmed with 3- so listen to your own inner voice on this- & maybe talk it over with Katie or others too.

Glad to hear you're on the mend again, & hope the changes help you a lot.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (02-21-2023),dakski (02-20-2023),Homebody (02-21-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,182 Times in 1,176 Posts

I'm sorry to hear you've been sick, and not just sick but scary sick. That's traumatizing. Be sure to prioritize your self-care now. You need to recover both physically and emotionally. It's not being selfish. You'll be a better husband and keeper in the long run.

As far as your collection goes, don't be afraid to ask for help. Living with them, maybe you don't appreciate how awesome your collection is. Helping you care for them would be a treat for most keepers. Don't hesitate to tap those local people to help you out. Tap me. I'd be glad to help.

You have such a beautiful and diverse collection that I can understand your reluctance to part with any of them, but should you decide to do so, having such a beautiful and diverse collection, should make rehoming them easier. No one would think less of you for it.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-21-2023),Caitlin (02-21-2023),dakski (02-21-2023)

Thanks

A quick update. Back on track a bit. Been keeping cages clean and got everyone back on schedule and fed tonight. Every snake except Shayna (BP who is fasting) ate.

Frank (BTS) has been eating fine and is no worse for the wear and the same with Carra (Leopard Gecko).

Additionally, we found a local pet/house sitter. She lives 4 minutes away from us and is now on call in case of emergency. She is mainly for the dogs, but was also a zoo keeper and has extensive reptile experience. I cannot imagine her needing to feed the snakes, but she can, and is comfortable changing water, checking temps, etc. I also plan to reach out to the owner of Riverside Reptiles, who I know well, and is 1 minute from my house. In a pinch, I am happy to pay him or one of his reptile keepers to check on the reptiles, if our pet/house sitter is away, etc.

That makes me feel much better. If I end up in the Emergency Department we have coverage. This also gives us flexibility to go on trips (usually weekend trips) that we haven't done in a while. Our old Dogsitter moved. So it's been a bit.

Overall, I am feeling significantly better. I also have zero plans on cutting the collection down at this point. I enjoy them and now we have backup plans.

Thank you all for your understanding and kind words. It is much appreciated.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (03-06-2023),Bogertophis (03-06-2023),EL-Ziggy (03-06-2023),Homebody (03-06-2023),OatBoii (03-06-2023),Spicey (03-08-2023)

Thanks
    I'm so glad that everything's going better for you now, including backup plans to put your mind at ease- that really helps.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-06-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Glad you’re feeling better Dave. Wishing you a full and speedy recovery brother!
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

20. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-06-2023)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast