Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,805

2 members and 2,803 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Health & Other Issues and properly caring for reptiles right now.....

As promised, I fed the snakes tonight. Everyone was happy and ready! 7 for 7.

Again, thank you to everyone for the kind words and posts.

Katie is still sick, but we both got some rest the past few days. That can't hurt. I'll keep everyone posted, but wanted to write that I do feel a little more focused on the reptiles. The perspectives here and seeing that everyone is doing fine despite a little less love from me all helped.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-23-2021),EL-Ziggy (05-23-2021),GoingPostal (05-24-2021),Hugsplox (05-24-2021),jmcrook (05-23-2021),Kam (05-23-2021),richardhind1972 (05-24-2021),WrongPython (05-23-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I hope Katie's doctors get this figured out soon, so you can both get back to things being more normal.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (05-23-2021),Kam (05-24-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    Hope she feels better soon. It's scary not having any answers, but stay positive if you can, it helps the immune system.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-24-2021),dakski (05-24-2021),Kam (05-24-2021)

Thanks

I have good news and bad news.

The good news first. I found a new medicine (new to me and new to the market) that helps treat my sleep disorders and for the first time in years, I have some energy. Still have a transplanted kidney and medication issues, etc. but this is the first improvement I have seen in the energy department in years. The past year or two I've been exhausted and or sleeping a lot. I am still having issues and say I am 60-70% on a good day, but that's way better than 20-30% on average.

This means I have been spending more time with and feel better about caring for the reptiles. I was worried for a while that I wasn't going to be able to care for them the way I want and they deserve over the long-term. I am happy to report, that at least at the moment, things are looking up there.

The bad news. I may have mentioned that I had an infection (happens being immune suppressed) and almost died a few months ago. Well, I had been pre-diabetic and was managing it well. However, the trauma of the illness/infection and the long-term prednisone use (a drug I cannot stop and have to take forever not to reject my kidney), etc. caused me to go full type 2 diabetic. That was contributing to me feeling badly but didn't know it until two weeks ago when I was finally diagnosed. I am on insulin now and they are still working to the dosage, but things are significantly better on that front. I was apparently walking around at times being very close to a diabetic coma.

I am the kind of person who doesn't dwell on things I cannot control and takes control of what I can. I have adjusted my diet, am continuing to lose weight, working on exercising, and taking my insulin and other meds per doctors orders. I was pretty upset initially, but after a short "pity-party" got right on track.

I am looking forward to continuing to feel better and to getting the basement fixed (still a work in progress) and spending more time with Katie, the dogs, and the reptiles.

Katie is still a work in progress, but we are getting closer, per the doctor to a full diagnosis and treatment. I likely won't share all the details of that on here as it's Katie's life and she is more private than I am. However, I will let people know when she's back on track as well.
    Last edited by dakski; 09-13-2021 at 11:50 PM.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (09-13-2021),bcr229 (09-14-2021),Bogertophis (09-13-2021),GoingPostal (09-14-2021),jmcrook (09-14-2021),richardhind1972 (09-14-2021),Snagrio (09-14-2021),WrongPython (09-14-2021)

Thanks
    You're entitled to a pity-party, I'm so glad you're getting things figured out & adjusted. And especially, that you're feeling much better. We all have to deal with things that are out of our control- you've just had a bit more practice than most. Maybe your reptiles sensed your energy return, & that's why they all ate today?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (09-14-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

Wishing you and Katie good health and happier days Dave.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

12. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

dakski (09-14-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts
    I'm glad you and Katie are on the road to getting health issues identified and managed, and wish you both ongoing improved health and peaceful, happy days together. I agree that wallowing isn't helpful, but there's nothing wrong with a quick dip into a 'pity party' - there are a lot of justifiably complex and difficult feelings associated with a diagnosis of chronic illness and it's good to acknowledge them.

For what it's worth, I deal with some long-term health issues related to a horrific accident I was in when I was younger (thanks so much, drunk driver). I'm no Pollyanna, but in a weird sort of way it's brought some positives to my life. There are a couple of similarities to Diabetes in that I do best when I maintain healthy eating patterns, keep my weight low and do regular cardio and strength work. So my lifestyle may appear on the outside to be typical of your basic 'health nut', but for me it's all essential to prevent living with chronic pain. I'd certainly be glad if none of this had happened, but on the other hand, developing these habits has been great both physically and mentally. And I became a damned good cook in the process, which has been pretty cool!

I'm just really happy to hear about the new medication; that is a pretty spectacular improvement. And it sounds like there is a light at the end of the tunnel for Katie, too, which is more good news. Managing health problems is not for the faint of heart, but it seems like you guys share a generally positive outlook and are there for one another, which makes a huge difference. Blessings to both of you.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-14-2021),dakski (09-14-2021),richardhind1972 (09-14-2021)

Thanks

My blood sugar is getting under control and my sleep issues are better. That's a good combo. Again, I never expect to be 100% again, but I am feeling better and the reptiles and our relationship is better too. I am spending more time chilling with them and bonding and not just cleaning up and feeding. I cannot wait until the basement is done and I can really spend time with them again while enjoying that space. Not just going down to spend time with them, but enjoying the space too. Katie are missing 2/5 of our house and our family area. Will be nice to hang and watch TV with the dogs and the reptiles etc. Not together though. .

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (09-24-2021),richardhind1972 (09-24-2021)

Thanks
    I can imagine how much you're missing your basement- especially now that you're feeling better. What a huge job that turned out to be- not just the clean up but all the needed renovation too, ugh. But it should be awesome once it gets done.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (09-24-2021),Hugsplox (09-24-2021)

Thanks

I write this with a heavy heart. I think I am going to re-home Esmeralda/Ezzy (Leachie) and Ferdinand/Ferry (Chewie).

I've been doing a lot of soul searching and my health although stable at this point, has created consistent periods (days at a time) of exhaustion.

I try to explain exhaustion to people, but my cousin, who was on chemo said it best. She called me and said, "I finally get it. Being tired is saying, okay, I should to take a nap, going upstairs, and taking one. Exhaustion is falling asleep on the bottom step because you don't have the energy to make it up the stairs."

I have 11 reptiles and 12 tanks right now (one 3X2' being used as a storage tank on the bottom of the 6X2' Boaphile stack). It's a lot. It's more when I am not feeling well and Katie isn't either. We are constantly trying to pick up the slack for each other.

I know I do not not have justify it and have already found a good home - more on that in a minute. However, I am the kind of person who stands by my commitments. I committed to Ezzy and Ferry 3 years ago. I think they are incredibly cool animals, but I also feel they are a lot of work for limited engagement. I feed Ezzy 2X a week and Ferry 4-5, including insects. They have a large container of wood so I can always have clean wood in their cages and I have to throughly clean their cages 1X a week. They make a mess and everywhere because they can climb on anything - wall and ceiling, etc. Neither tolerates handling much either. Oh, and they have a misting system. I might move that to the Boas, but not sure yet. For now, I might just take it down.

The snakes are my true passion and I plan to keep Carra (9 year old Leopard Gecko) and Frank (BTS), as well as all the snakes.

I find the snakes to be pretty easy and are high reward for me. I handle them, interact with them regularly, and feel a bond with all the remaining animals (Frank and Carra included).

The basement being in shambles hasn't helped this (or the lack of running water for months). However, I am the kind of person who generally makes a decision and has little regrets.

Onto the potential home. I could sell them or barter with a local reptile store where I know the owner well and respect him. He would probably find a good home, and the money would help right now with the basement and contractor disputes etc. However, I think I am leaning towards "donating" them to the local reptile zoo I've spoken about here. https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ight=riverside

The owner, Brian, might put them on display, and would probably use them for education, etc. Either way, I know they will have a good home. He's a great guy and very responsible and cares for his animals.

By "donating" them, I might still get something for the tanks and/or some cool perks with Riverside Reptiles. Brian does breed many snakes, and down the road, might consider filling the empty tank with something easier and that doesn't take up as much space (misting system, food items - drawers of their dry food, insect containers, etc. and the wood). For now though, not sure.

Between work, Katie still being sick, me being sick for years now and not getting much better, and the time/reward scenario, I think it makes the most sense to re-home them. It would also allow us to have much more space in the reptile as I could make an L shape with the tank, and/or have more room for a chair, etc. Not having furniture in the basement has made me miss just chilling with the animals and interacting with them more and in more meaningful ways.

Still not 100% sure, but getting there. Katie told me not to feel guilty as circumstances can change. Mine have. I still feel guilty.

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (12-02-2021),Bogertophis (12-02-2021),Caitlin (12-03-2021),Homebody (12-02-2021),Hugsplox (12-02-2021),Kam (12-02-2021),richardhind1972 (12-02-2021),WrongPython (12-02-2021)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast