Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,125

1 members and 3,124 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Aspen vs. Coconut Fibers

After HEAVY research of past forums (and a few other websites), I've decided that a forum is the best way to get a second opinion. I am planning on getting a BP and I want to have what is best for my snek. My question is," What is better for BP's? Coco Fibers, or Aspen Fibers?"

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    Aspen tends to be dehydrating, not what you want for snakes like BPs that need more humidity. If you choose to use it, you'll need a really good "humid hide" also, but I'd stay clear of aspen for a BP anyway.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,492 Times in 2,686 Posts

Re: Aspen vs. Coconut Fibers

I prefer coco fiber bedding for all my snakes. I use Reptichip and Reptile Prime bedding.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    I mix Forest Floor with Retibark. Sometimes I will also add EcoEarth depending on how I'm feeling and the look I'm going for.

I have a large tub I poor them into and mix. Then I use it out of there as needed. The tub is a snake tube so the lid had holes so the damp Forest Floor doesn't create and issues with mold. If does dry out but I just add water and stir the next time I need it.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I used aspen in tubs. The tubs maintain a 50-60% humidity, no shedding issues except the first time when my bp was in a glass tank (coco fiber in glass tank, that was years ago when I first got him). I had seen other keepers and breeders use aspen in tubs with success. Cons for me was the cost and the high risk of mold growth, so cleaning out the tub on time is a must. I stopped using aspen in tubs for a few years now but imo it can work.

For my humidity loving skink, he is in a glass tank where I had used coco fiber, cypress mulch, reptibark, coco chips and/or mixed with moss. Coco fiber bricks (not the bag) is most affordable and holds humidity the longest without spraying water or adding water, imo. Mine could stay 70-80% for up to a week or week and a half, but I live in FL so it might dry up faster depending on where you live. Coco chips was the worst. Reptibark is meh. Mulch is alright. I switched from coco fiber to reptibark and mulch because Homer gets drooly on the corners of his mouth and coco fiber keeps sticking in there. What I don't like about coco fiber is that it gets dusty after it's dried. I prefer not to use coco fiber for snakes with pits and that are not arboreal. I use coco fiber or coco husk for my Children python's glass tank (he has heat pits) but he spends most of his time off the floor, it never bothered him.

Keep in mind, no matter what you choose, the priority is air flow. Blocking some air flow like mesh lids can help keep the humidity inside for a longer period of time. But too little ventilation will risk mold growth which happens on any substrate including coco fiber (I had caught a few clumps of mold before). In addition, bacteria growth especially in feces and urine can increase the chance for scale rot.
    Last edited by Cheesenugget; 05-16-2021 at 03:30 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

I use both depending on the time of the year and the critter being kept with zero issues. What works for you depends on your local climate, type of enclosure and heating, personal methods of maintenance and upkeep, etc. What I do for my animals in MS will almost certainly need to be done differently for someone in CO/AZ/NY/etc

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Ascended (05-16-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    I use both depending on the time of the year and the critter being kept with zero issues. What works for you depends on your local climate, type of enclosure and heating, personal methods of maintenance and upkeep, etc. What I do for my animals in MS will almost certainly need to be done differently for someone in CO/AZ/NY/etc
    I agree with the above, if you live in a high humidity area (or want to swop depending on seasonal humidity levels) and so can achieve the right humidity levels with Aspen it is fine.
    I cant use Aspen because the background humidity is always low where I live and using that would just make it worse for my ball pythons.

I am using paper because most of mine are in quarantine. Even with a neutral substrate I need 2 bowls to achieve the humidity I need. I couldn't use Aspen as there is no more room for more bowls lol.
    But i have bought Reptichip for once the quarantine is over. That should remove the need for two bowls for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolpercool View Post
    After HEAVY research of past forums (and a few other websites), I've decided that a forum is the best way to get a second opinion. "
    Me too. Lots of experienced keepers here. I have learned a lot already, and still am learning
    Last edited by Ascended; 05-16-2021 at 03:47 PM.