Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,051

1 members and 3,050 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Wiring

Thanks

Wiring

Hey all! The tank I have for my little BP doesn't have any build in "wire holes" that let me put the thermometer probe into the rank without just sticking it through the top and closing my tank as much as possible (Aka its not fully closed...). How can I make a hole on my own? I'm not SUPER handy with tools but I do have access to things like a drill, etc. if needed!

TIA!

Thanks

Re: Wiring

It depends on what the tank is made of. By tank do you mean glass? and whats the top made of.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HerpingLVT View Post
    Hey all! The tank I have for my little BP doesn't have any build in "wire holes" that let me put the thermometer probe into the rank without just sticking it through the top and closing my tank as much as possible (Aka its not fully closed...). How can I make a hole on my own? I'm not SUPER handy with tools but I do have access to things like a drill, etc. if needed!

TIA!
    I wouldn't advise trying to drill a hole in a glass tank. They do make some glass terrarium-type tanks that have a hole in the bottom already (for wires), but I doubt they're available in all areas.

If you're using UTH, I think you'd do better to "sandwich" the thermometer probe underneath the tank, between the UTH pad & the glass, & just read the temperatures inside the tank with a "temp. gun", then adjust them accordingly.

FYI- wired probes are trouble when installed inside the tank anyway- no matter where you stick* them, snakes (looking for traction) will end up pulling them out of place resulting in FALSE readings (that can be dangerous if you think it's safe but it's actually way too hot!), & *tape should NEVER be used in any snake enclosures anyway- it becomes a nightmare when it loosens up & then sticks to the snake. Hot-gluing probes in place aren't much better either- just keep them outside the tank.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-16-2021 at 01:43 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (05-16-2021),Hugsplox (05-18-2021),Spicey (06-17-2021)

Thanks

All the above is spot on.
    I would not advise drilling through glass unless your experienced. That's if it is glass.
    Also I only use my probe thermometers as a guide, and as above, I use a thermometer gun to know whats relay going on.

If you cant put the thermometer probe underneath for some reason, like its a heavy wooden tank or the floor is an insulating material, there is a way to secure it to the floor inside the tank.
    Depending on the cord, push the probe through and bend and stick the wire upwards and to the side slightly on the outside. Secure it on the outside back with aluminum tape or something substantial.
    The probe will move a bit from side to side, but if you get the length and downward pressure right it will remain on the floor. That works for me.

Oh, also you need the hole to be slightly about the floor to get the right angle and downward pressure with the above. You will need to experiment with the angle of the wire on the back to get it right.
    Last edited by Ascended; 05-16-2021 at 02:10 PM.

Thanks

You guys all responded so fast - sorry that it took me forever to reply to you!

The tank is metal - but the lid is plastic on the rim and it's like a wire-mesh in the center. At the moment - I'm just using overhead light with a red or blue bulb (depending on the time) for heating and it seems to regulate it well. Here's a photo of what the top looks like now (feat. me cramming it shut with the wire in it...) https://imgur.com/uGhp6EB

A second problem I just RECENTLY discovered is I need to childproof my tank. My soon-to-be roommate has a very curious 3 year old. The tank top itself I can padlock shut, but there's a small door at the top (https://imgur.com/iZEoH1H ) that has holes for a padlock but they're TINY. I can tie it if I wanted to but that takes a lot of time. If I stuck a drill in to widen it, would that work, do you think?
    Last edited by HerpingLVT; 06-16-2021 at 04:53 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    No matter what kind of locks you use, if a toddler tries to climb on the enclosure, that wire mesh is going to pull right out. I left an enclosure like that in my hall (empty) and the cat sitting on it collapsed the lid mesh. Not to mention, a kid could dump something into the tank trying to play. I would advise putting the entire thing somewhere the child cannot get to.

When my kids were little, I had a big double 50 gallon fish tank with snakes in it, much stronger wire mesh lids, and the outlet was behind that so they couldn't reach cords. Heat was under tank heaters sandwiched between the stand and tanks. I don't know where your outlets are if you could get a heavy stand to accomplish the same thing, and buy a new lid that just goes over the top of the existing one with clips on the sides. The lights certainly have to go or be placed in a locking canopy, the kid can move them around and probably burn themselves. [edit: just in case it's not obvious, if you do away with the lights, you need to get a different type of heater]

I know zilla makes a lid that instead of window screen is thicker metal mesh.
    Last edited by nikkubus; 06-16-2021 at 05:35 PM.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (06-17-2021),Bogertophis (06-17-2021),Hugsplox (06-17-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

I have my spotted python in a 20L with, it appears, this same lid. Instead of running some type of wired thermometer probe into the tank, I just have digital thermometer/hydrometer combos inside the tank that are battery operated. You can find those on Amazon and I'm sure any big box store like Target, Walmart, etc.

They do make cage locks that will fit that lid, but like Nikkubus said, that does nothing for you to protect against the little one pouring a drink into it, or messing with hot lights on top. On top of that, even when these lids are secure they're not secure. You know already that it takes nothing to get that thing off. My two year old loves to see the reptiles so all of the enclosures are behind a closed door, but also up high enough that she'll be old enough to understand not to touch before she's tall enough to actually touch anything.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (06-17-2021),Bogertophis (06-17-2021)