Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,729

3 members and 2,726 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    They'll soak if they're dehydrated (common after eating and shedding). If he was soaking and blowing bubbles I wouldn't be worried. If he's blowing bubbles in his cage I would get it checked out. I would add in some larger, suitable hides. Keep in mind that snakes haven't survived millions of years by having humans watch over them and worry about them.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Erie_herps For This Useful Post:

Ascended (06-07-2021)

Thanks

Re: Is this bad? Emergency?

I'm not sure how to tell if he is outgrowing his hides. I didn't really think about fully grown snakes (he's around seven years old) outgrowing their hides, but I assume it's possible. He was in one of his hides directly after he shed, and I didn't think it looked too small. I think I'll just get some of those plain plastic hides to see if he uses them. His current hides are 11x10.5x4.25, so should I get the large (13.25x9x3.25) or extra large (16.125x11x4.5)?

I use a mix of cypress mulch (forest floor) and coconut fiber (eco earth). I have reptile relief spray, which I think is supposed to be a "gentle" mite treatment, so I was thinking of just rubbing him down with it to see if anything comes off? But if I should wait to actually confirm mites then I won't.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TayKiren; 06-07-2021 at 05:25 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,798 Times in 11,829 Posts

Re: Is this bad? Emergency?

Quote Originally Posted by TayKiren View Post
    I'm not sure how to tell if he is outgrowing his hides. I didn't really think about fully grown snakes (he's around seven years old) outgrowing their hides, but I assume it's possible. He was in one of his hides directly after he shed, and I didn't think it looked too small. I think I'll just get some of those plain plastic hides to see if he uses them. His current hides are 11x10.5x4.25, so should I get the large (13.25x9x3.25) or extra large (16.125x11x4.5)?

I use a mix of cypress mulch (forest floor) and coconut fiber (eco earth). I have reptile relief spray, which I think is supposed to be a "gentle" mite treatment, so I was thinking of just rubbing him down with it to see if anything comes off? But if I should wait to actually confirm mites then I won't.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk
    You can tell when they've outgrown hides because they look like tortoises- you can see the snake sticking out underneath the hide, which is lifted up on top of them!

If you get hides that are too large for a while, you can stuff some paper wads in them to make them cozier while they grow into them. Mostly BPs like to feel sorta snug in their hides.

I've never used it, but I agree from what I've heard/read, that Natural Chemistry mite spray should be harmless & fine to use "in case". I just wouldn't use the "PAM" (provent-a-mite) stuff, or anything along those lines.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Just because a snake soaks doesn't mean that he has mites. Try soaking him in water with a couple drops of dawn soap. Once you take him out see if there are small black specks (like pepper) in the water. I don't think it's worth treating a snake because of the extremely small possibility that he has mites.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Erie_herps For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-07-2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12