Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,889

2 members and 2,887 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    I'm not a fan of bulbs. They can explode, need changing out, aren't as easy to get temperature accurate, and suck humidity. I think an RHP is the best solution for heating an enclosure for snakes so far. It doesn't suck humidity, eliminates the risk of burns, long lasting (10 year warranty and should last much longer than that), creates a perfect heat gradient, and is the least likely to be a fire hazard.
    Last edited by Trinityblood; 05-18-2021 at 12:14 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Trinityblood For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (05-18-2021)

Thanks

Re: Alternative heat source. What are your views

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    Th I've looked at blue bulbs for daytime heat, still prefer either red or a low wattage CHE for night time, but I'd like something a little easier on his eyes than a white lamp, so I might end up trying out blue.
    In my experience if you combine the low wattage coloured bulb with a dimmer stat, there is just a continual gentle glow that fluctuates only slightly. As opposed to an on off which switches from full power/brightness to zero power brightness.
    In nature the light gently brightens and lowers, but does not switch from full brightness to zero and back.
    Just an opinion, maybe give it a try and see if it works for you.

Regarding the fire concern of Trinityblood, the lower power used by a dimmer stat does not let the element glow red hot, its too cool to make a fire. also with the lower power, they last for decades.

Again, just my experience and opinion.

Edit: Oh forgot to mention, the other way to reduce the element of the bulb being too hot and of risk is to use two bulbs. that's if its needed due to too cold background temperatures. In addition there is always the option of additional background heet so the bulbs can be even cooler and less brighton the dimmer stat.
    Last edited by Ascended; 05-18-2021 at 06:07 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ascended For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (05-19-2021)

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    I have RHP and flexwatt in my cages and love them, they rarely go over 30% power on my herpstats and it's nice that I don't really need to worry about it at all. I had heat and light bulbs for my iguana and seemed like they love to die or explode or something at the worst times always, had to keep a stock around at all times just in case, they aren't cheap, and the heat those CHE put off is nuts. I worry enough about fire hazards as is without super hot bulbs around. I should just give in and heat the whole room to 80 but it's so warm at that point it's uncomfortable for me. I use a room heater in the winter to keep it at 74-75 otherwise that room would drop to around 67.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

Ascended (05-18-2021),Bogertophis (05-18-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GoingPostal View Post
    I have RHP and flexwatt in my cages and love them, they rarely go over 30% power on my herpstats and it's nice that I don't really need to worry about it at all. I had heat and light bulbs for my iguana and seemed like they love to die or explode or something at the worst times always, had to keep a stock around at all times just in case, they aren't cheap, and the heat those CHE put off is nuts. I worry enough about fire hazards as is without super hot bulbs around. I should just give in and heat the whole room to 80 but it's so warm at that point it's uncomfortable for me. I use a room heater in the winter to keep it at 74-75 otherwise that room would drop to around 67.
    I bought a CHE but I agree, the heat is tremendous, & I'm not actually using it. It's mostly over-kill for my purposes- oh well. It's good to have options, we're not all needing the same things (& keeping different species). I can't recall a bulb ever exploding*, but of course mine are not inside tanks -they're not within "splash range". I don't let my house get very cold either. (*I don't count the one I dropped... )
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (05-18-2021),Spicey (05-19-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

Regarding the fire concern of Trinityblood, the lower power used by a dimmer stat does not let the element glow red hot, its too cool to make a fire. also with the lower power, they last for decades.

Again, just my experience and opinion.

Edit: Oh forgot to mention, the other way to reduce the element of the bulb being too hot and of risk is to use two bulbs. that's if its needed due to too cold background temperatures. In addition there is always the option of additional background heet so the bulbs can be even cooler and less brighton the dimmer stat.
    The dimstat should stop it, but it still has a potential to go wrong. I was always paranoid about a malfunction by the stat or the under the heat mat when I was using that combo. I also just like how a RHP + a pvc is set and forget for temps. The house can get to 60 F and I know my snake is still toasty.

I'm not saying your bulb idea is bad, though.
    Last edited by Trinityblood; 05-18-2021 at 11:03 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trinityblood View Post
    The dimstat should stop it, but it still has a potential to go wrong. I was always paranoid about a malfunction by the stat or the under the heat mat when I was using that combo. I also just like how a RHP + a pvc is set and forget for temps. The house can get to 60 F and I know my snake is still toasty.

I'm not saying your bulb idea is bad, though.
    Good point, anything heat source has the potential to malfunction.
    I am not saying bulbs are the best Idea really, there are risks with any heat source. I am interested in others opinions, that's why I posted
    Maybe I can refine my systems with the information here. By the way, I don't use them for ball pythons.

Could you explain how this works. I am also a bit slow on working out abbreviations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinityblood View Post
    I also just like how a RHP + a pvc is set and forget for temps. The house can get to 60 F and I know my snake is still toasty.
    Last edited by Ascended; 05-19-2021 at 06:05 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12