Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,810

2 members and 2,808 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Morph questions (Hypo/Woma/Banana or Coral glow & GHI combos)

Hi there,

So I have heard quite a few negatives in regards to hypo & hidden gene woma & was hoping for clarity, more for hypo, as I see they are still incredibly popular. Now for hypo, I like what the gene does, but I have steered clear because I have heard & read that homozygous females are infertile & best kept only as pets. Is this true or only to a degree? I honestly cannot remember offhand what I heard about woma that turned me away but if anyone knows what issues it has & if they are workable I'd appreciate it. Lastly on subject of hypo, can anyone elaborate if Hypo issues also are in the "color" ghost morphs (ie orange ghost). Thank you!

The secondary part of this post is a query that I cannot find an answer to on google. Does GHI prevent the fade out, or at least lessen it, in bananas & CGs? I have seen a few adult combos with GHI or super GHI that are still pretty much what the juveniles look like. I could actually find myself interested in banana now if this is true. Of course I know some animals are unique or maybe there is something else going on in these individuals, but these have been several separate breeders that I have noticed the lack of fade out in.

Thanks a bunch y'all!

Thanks

Re: Morph questions (Hypo/Woma/Banana or Coral glow & GHI combos)

Really interested to know the answer to this too!

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    I hadn't heard that about Hypo/Ghost so I couldn't answer that part. Only gene I have heard of having that issue with females is Desert, not to be confused with Desert Ghost.

HGW as far as I know have wobble issues like Spider, but to a lesser degree. The HGW girls I have, I haven't even noticed it, even when I first got them and they were pretty stressed, but I have heard from reliable sources they can have it, and not to mix with other wobble issue genes.

It is my understanding that GHI lessens fading in Banana/CG to some extent, but probably not as well as Enchi + YB complex genes.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,881 Times in 827 Posts
    Woma is in the spider complex and can sometimes cause wobbling so that may be why some are avoiding it.

The only real controversy with hypos that I'm aware of is that not all lines are compatible. And you need to be aware of what line of 'ghost' you're working with.

For example, most hypo and orange ghost lines are compatible. But I heard that green ghost and orange ghost may not be? So to be safe, try to keep to one line of hypo.

Desert ghost is not compatible with the other lines. Which means you can end up with double het hypo and desert ghosts.

Desert is as stated, a different and unrelated gene where the females are prone to eggbinding and other reproductive issues so it should be avoided.
    Last edited by Armiyana; 11-22-2021 at 02:53 PM.