Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,223

1 members and 3,222 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Dehydrated BP: HELP

My ball python stills has some stuck shed on her around her neck. I gave her a ball but she doesn’t like being touched around her neck. I tried to feed her and she didn’t take the rat. She’s about 3ft 1600 grams or so and the shed around her neck makes it look like wrinkles. I don’t know what to do. I don’t know how to add pictures but if I do jill add it to this thread. Thank you.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    First thing to do...... RELAX! A little stuck shed is no big deal.

Correcting the issue with proper humidity is what you need moving forward. Telling us more about your enclosure may help.

My suggestion would be to place damp moss in the hides. Very simply trick I've used with great success.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (05-15-2021),GoingPostal (05-14-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts

Re: Dehydrated BP: HELP

Quote Originally Posted by rp8120 View Post
    My ball python stills has some stuck shed on her around her neck. I gave her a ball but she doesn’t like being touched around her neck. I tried to feed her and she didn’t take the rat. She’s about 3ft 1600 grams or so and the shed around her neck makes it look like wrinkles. I don’t know what to do. I don’t know how to add pictures but if I do jill add it to this thread. Thank you.
    You gave her "a ball"? You meant to say a bath?
    What I'd do is to put her in a damp* pillow case for a while, secured so she can't leave it. (*Dunk the pillow case in warmish water (not cold) & wring it out, so it's fully saturated but not a swamp.)

Put your snake-in-a-damp-pillowcase into a ventilated plastic "critter cottage" & put that in her enclosure- midway between warm & cool sides. Wait for at least an hour- maybe 2- before taking her out- the stuck skin should either be off or easily removed by you- gently! And put everything back to normal. Wait a week before you offer food again- she'll likely eat just fine.

(How long have you had her???)

And fyi- just because a snake is sensitive about some areas never stops me from GENTLY touching & doing what's necessary. If you can manage some empathy, your snake will sense they're really in no danger, & despite her reluctance, she's unlikely to actually bite you for helping her. Mine never do, anyway.

And for posting pictures: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-Post-Pictures

Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-13-2021 at 10:51 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (05-15-2021),GoingPostal (05-14-2021),Hugsplox (05-14-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: Dehydrated BP: HELP

Quote Originally Posted by rp8120 View Post
    Hi

A bit of stuck shed is easy to sort ..

Get a really damp ( snake temp ) rough textured towel and wrap the snake in it .. just let it slither and slide around in the towel for as long as you can .. you can apply very gentle pressure to the neck region when you feel it slithering around .
    When it’s head pops out just cover it again with the excess towel and carry on .

99% of the time any stubborn skin will come off onto the towel .. just repeat the next day if that’s the case ..

This method also works well with retained eye-caps and stuck skin at the tail-end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (05-15-2021)