Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,033

0 members and 3,033 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Sphagnum Moss inside tank?

Just got my first ball python a few weeks ago. I’ve had a tuff time trying to keep humidity up. I’ve found that if I lay damp towels on top of most of the mesh it keeps it where it needs to be most of the day. Should I put some moss around some spots inside the enclosure to maybe help with keeping the humidity up? I’ve heard I could make a humid hides with it but I don’t think I want to bother the snake every other day to take his hide off of him to re moisten the moss inside the hide. So I was thinking about adding it in areas to help boost it up. I’ve noticed around the middle of the tank that my humidity stays around 50%. This is with a few bowls of water inside. The outsides of the tank are normally around 60-70% because of the damp towels. I should note that I have to run CHE to keep ambient temps where they need to be.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    The damp towel on top with end up rusting the screen. I would make a cardboard cutout and wrap it in foil to lay over the screen.

You could put the moss around the tank but I prefer it in the hides. If you make it good and damp you should not have to touch it for a few days. This makes the hides humid though the test of the enclosure may not seem to be. Worked great for me for years.

Only when one was in shed would I keep it damp. If not I would let it dry out before misting or out soaking it. Usually would just mist during regular times and only soak during shed.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Erie_herps (05-13-2021)