Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,358

3 members and 1,355 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: A few odd bits.

Thanks

A few odd bits.

Good morning everyone. 2 or possible 3 part question here. So last night I was doing my visual inspection of the habitat and my snake. Everything seemed fine temps were in a the one degree +/- range and humidity was 53-54%. The snake was behaving normally, however I notice that around the middle of jaw the skin was flakey and peeling a bit. Now he shed in transit about a month ago and has not eaten since that time. This flaking all manifested over one days time. I suspect this is a humidity issue. So here are my questions: is it a humidity issue? I want to change to a better bedding for humidity is coconut the way to go? lastly and most oddly. When I do this or a full cleaning of the habitat in general what do I do with the snake? I have never heard this addressed.

Thank you all so much

KL

Thanks

Re: A few odd bits.

This definitely sounds like a humidity issue if he's not shedding all in one piece. You should be bumping up the humidity in your enclosure during sheds to around ~70% to help make the process easier on the snake. The mid 50 range is fine otherwise. I personally use reptichip and have found it really useful when it comes to humidity, it is a coconut chip substrate. You can buy it online if there isn't a store near you. As far as where you put your snake during a cleaning, you can just put him into a temporary tub and he'll be fine, sometimes I just have my wife hold my reptiles while I'm cleaning or rearranging enclosures.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RickySRonin For This Useful Post:

KL888 (05-13-2021)

Thanks

Re: A few odd bits.

Ricky thank you for the response so I got the coconut substrate and first It brought the humidity up to 70% and being dark I think the snake liked it more he was very inquisitives going back in. I did move thing around too, my water dish is near my CHE and it up to 83 temp wise a little nervous but I will keep my eye on it.