Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 464

2 members and 462 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP - Bailey

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

RIP - Bailey

We lost our 9+ year old lab mix, Bailey, yesterday. Katie rescued her when she was about a year old, supposedly, but was never 100% sure.

I had the pleasure of being Bailey's dad unofficially for almost 5 years and officially for about 4 years.

She herniated a disc in her back about a year ago. It is unclear when or how exactly that happened. However, degenerative back issues either led to the injury and/or complicated it. When things started to get bad for Bailey and she was noticeably uncomfortable early this year, we took her to a neurologist and even had an MRI. The neurologist said operating was high risk and low reward due to the other back issues and we started a regiment of medications to help manage Bailey's discomfort. That went pretty well for a bit, and the neurologist was hopeful we could manage her discomfort for some time.

Sadly, over the past month, she regressed and was having trouble with the doggie door and more trouble walking. We were getting up several times a night to help her in and out of the house and back on the bed (even though she had a stool that been helpful prior). Last week things took a dramatic turn and we upped her meds again, including prednisone. Unfortunately, there was really no effect and Sunday night she was clearly starting to be in pain and have some serious issues. We were taking her out the side door instead of her using the dog door and she was having trouble getting comfortable.

Sunday night was rough, and Monday we called the vet to schedule a "quality of life assessment," with the possibility of euthanasia if we were all in agreement.

Monday night I was up almost all night with her and she was clearly distressed, in pain, and sad. I sat with her for hours telling her I loved her and that she hadn't done anything wrong. She would just stand panting and with her tail between her legs and her head down. When Katie got up and looked at her, she knew too. Bailey was telling us it was time.

The vet saw her at 9:30AM, took one look at her, told us we had done, "everything and more" for her that could be done and that the kindest thing we could do was to let her go.

Bailey was euthanized shortly after and died in Katie and my arms. That was appropriate. She was the worlds best cuddle bug. She would spoon with us and always slept right in between me and Katie.

Bailey went very peacefully and crossed the rainbow bridge to her brother Banning. The three other dogs seemed to understand, and before we took her to the vet, said their goodbyes and gave her nuzzles and kisses.

Bailey will be missed terribly. She was a wonderful dog. So emotionally aware and so kind and sweet.

We were blessed to have had her in our lives. I am also incredibly thankful that I moved in with Katie 4 years ago and Bailey had new brothers ((Tyler and Banning (RIP)) and a loving dad who also worked from home. Bailey loved hanging out with me in the office while I worked and appreciated having one of her humans home most of the time. Katie, being a PT, worked 5 days a week out of the house and having been rescued and possibly abandoned, Bailey suffered from separation anxiety. She wasn't terrible about it, but much preferred having me home with her most of the time.

RIP sweet, sweet, Bailey.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (05-13-2021),EL-Ziggy (05-13-2021),Kam (05-13-2021),richardhind1972 (05-13-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts
    What a sweet and beautiful dog Bailey was- I'm so sorry for your loss, but I agree with your vet- you did everything you possibly could & she had a good life with you. Take heart in that.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (05-13-2021),richardhind1972 (05-13-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: RIP - Bailey

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    What a sweet and beautiful dog Bailey was- I'm so sorry for your loss, but I agree with your vet- you did everything you possibly could & she had a good life with you. Take heart in that.
    Thanks Bogertophis. We do find solace in that for sure. I'd also be lying if I said we don't feel some relief knowing she's not in pain now. That, of course, doesn't mean we don't miss her terribly and that she will always be loved and remembered.

We do not have regrets either. We know we did everything we could for her and gave her a great life. That's a good thing too.

Thank you again for the kind words.

Thanks

Sorry for your loss and I hope you take the love and time you spent with Bailey and the other animals or family members will pick up that time and you will soon not be so sad it takes time unfortunately.

Not to bump but I lost my blue nose Pitbull Kyra and she was 9 almost 10 when she passed. She was a pup I got right before I got out of the military and she was my best friend. I actually had her in the barracks in ft bragg and you cant have animals in barracks but alot of people helped me out. I still remember i got from iraq in like oct picked up the dog in mid dec and i ended my 4 year military time in jan 11th of 2009. Anyway one day before pt a few days before leaving, the SGT major came up to me and said, I havent seen any dog :cens0r::cens0r::cens0r::cens0r: and I'm happy about that. I wish you good luck kid. So clearly he knew. Anyway the best dog Ive ever had and technically my first dog that was actually mine. I miss her still and its been 3 years, however you will move on its part of life that we get over this kinda stuff somehow.

Take care.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tmacsballs For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-13-2021),Caitlin (05-13-2021),dakski (05-13-2021)

Thanks

oh somehow i missed the most important part of my story. She ended up a bump on her, got it looked at and nothing major, then a year later another, then they popped up in sensitive areas and I like you had to make that call. I could have put her thru another year of pain i'm sure she would lived another year, but I couldn't stand to see it n theres a look a tough dog gives you when she says its enough and its the hardest selfless decision you make a good dog owner and my best friend was put to sleep.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tmacsballs For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-13-2021),dakski (05-13-2021)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

So sorry for your loss to you and your family Dave.
    I'm sure she will sadly missed by you, Katie and the rest of her doggie freinds

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk

11. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

dakski (05-13-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

So sorry to hear this, Dakski. My deepest condolences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

dakski (05-13-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

I'm so sorry Dakski. It's heartbreaking but there's some peace in that look a dog gives you when they know it's time. I'm glad you were both able to be there with her at the end, and I'm sure being close to you made her passing that much easier. Lucky you though, the love of a good dog is something some people never get to experience, and I hope you guys find some solace in that.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-13-2021),dakski (05-13-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts
    Bailey is beautiful!! What a lovely face. Her gentle intelligence just shines through.

Thank you for giving her a wonderful forever home, for giving her the good care that so many animals never get to experience, and for loving her enough to make the last, hardest decision.

It's so tough to lose animals we've loved like Bailey and Kyra, but I am absolutely certain those beautiful souls will be there to greet us when it's our time to make that transition.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

dakski (05-13-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

Bailey was beautiful. I had tears in my eyes reading about her. She looks so much like my girl Hailey that my boyfriend and I had to put down when she was 12. RIP beautiful girl and run free over the rainbow bridge.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ballpythonluvr For This Useful Post:

dakski (05-13-2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast