Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 630

6 members and 624 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 03:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 71,111
Threads: 245,180
Posts: 2,541,887
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Mothman
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35
  1. #11
    Registered User hihit's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-07-2021
    Location
    Long Island, NY; moving soon to Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 18 Times in 12 Posts

    Re: Why do some people return their ball pythons?

    Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    I bought my Ball from a family that bought it for their kid. Their kid quickly lost interest so they sold it. I think many times people buy a snake for the cool factor and think it is going to be something more than it is. They buy it and then realize they bought a pet rock that likes to hide most of the time during regular human hours.

    So as long as you do not mind a pet that is not excited to see you and hides from you most of the time you should be alright.
    Honestly given that I'm usually pretty busy during normal human hours and that I'm a bit of a night owl myself, I see this as one of the reasons why a ball python would be a good pet for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    It is not a bad idea to buy the setup and get it all squared away before you get a snake. Anytime I have a new setup I try to give it a few days to get it dialed in. Then you can just add the snake when you get it.
    I would definitely get the setup ready beforehand if possible, especially since I want to go for a bioactive setup and I'd need to give the plants time to get their roots secure so the snake doesn't plow them over as easily. Luckily I have years of plant dad experience and an entire childhood collecting bugs (I think I even kept a tub of backyard isopods once) to help me with the non-snake aspects of that kind of setup.
    Everyone's weird in their own stupid way.

  2. #12
    Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    14,805
    Thanks
    20,689
    Thanked 12,819 Times in 8,047 Posts
    One issue I can think of is that pet store personnel (& also some old books in libraries) routinely tout BPs as perfect "beginner" snakes because they're usually docile, stay a nice size & they're pretty.

    BUT- that's only half the story, as they are NOT the easiest beginner snake to keep, because they're shy & can easily refuse to feed (more so than many other kinds of snake), they need higher temperatures in order to do well (eat & stay healthy), those temperatures also require some expenses like a good thermostat for safety, & when they're frightened, they still might bite you, especially if you don't yet understand their "body language" & normal habits of a snake.

    So I'd say that most of the reasons that people lose interest in a BP & want to return or re-home it is that they failed to really research it first- or they have unrealistic expectations & want a pet they can interact with frequently without negative repercussions (BPs hide all the time- & if handled too soon, they may not eat, etc). And unfortunately far too many people don't budget for everything they actually need for a new pet- the cost of the tank or enclosure, the heat & t-stat, etc.- no one should buy any kind of pet if they can barely afford the animal, but you'd be surprised how many do just that. They have an old tank someone gave them- with no heat- & they run to the pet store & "impulse-buy" a BP because they think it's cool & the store mostly just wants to make a sale.

    Unfortunately, there's all kinds of people in this world- many don't buy pets for the reasons you think they do. They may see someone with a pet snake & think it's cool, but have no real interest once they find out they need to learn things to take proper care of it. I once took in a BP from a guy who admitted he was afraid to even hold this BP he'd had for a while (his girlfriend liked it) & the only reason he got it was because he hates mice & loved to watch it kill them... When it comes to pet stores, many kids clamor for a pet & swear they'll take care of it, but when parents aren't really involved with it's care, unfortunately most kids just aren't responsible enough to do so on their own- & if the snake survives, eventually the parents want to re-home it.

    And I can't tell you how many snake owners have told me they want to get rid of a snake because it's "mean"- and they "know this because the snake chases them thru the glass when they walk by"- they actually think the snake wants to eat them, not realizing that snakes just go after motion when hungry, & don't identify prey (or us!) by vision alone. In every case, those unwanted "mean snakes" never bite me, & even when I explain the issue to the owner, they're usually too afraid to take a chance of keeping it, because "other (misguided) people" keep filling their heads with nonsense (horror stories about how that snake is going to get them).
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-11-2021 at 05:54 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

  3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

    ballpythonluvr (05-15-2021),GoingPostal (05-11-2021),hihit (05-11-2021),Hugsplox (05-12-2021)

  4. #13
    BPnet Lifer KMG's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-09-2012
    Location
    Tx
    Posts
    5,258
    Thanks
    972
    Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,712 Posts
    Images: 47

    Re: Why do some people return their ball pythons?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    they want to get rid of a snake because it's "mean"- and they "know this because the snake chases them thru the glass when they walk by"- they actually think the snake wants to eat them, not realizing that snakes just go after motion when hungry, & don't identify prey (or us!) by vision alone. In every case, those unwanted "mean snakes" never bite me, & even when I explain the issue to the owner, they're usually too afraid to take a chance of keeping it, because "other (misguided) people" keep filling their heads with nonsense (horror stories about how that snake is going to get them).
    That is how I got my beautiful Dum. My buddy and I went to an expo and he picked her up. I helped him get everything set up and all was good until the snake put on some size. Then he started telling me "it comes at me!" I tried to explain he was dealing with a hungry Boa but it didn't matter. Before long he started asking if I knew somebody that wanted it and offered it to me. I told him I was good at the moment. Some more time goes by and he was ready to flat out give her away. At that time I said "ok."

    He brought her to me at work and I took her out of the tub right away to check her out. He jumped way back and was visibly afraid of her. This was funny because he is a big ol' corn feed country boy you would think could handle a 4.5 ft Ground Boa. I handled her a bit and then put her back in the tub without issue. I had her for awhile and then one night when I was giving her water she tagged me GOOD! Hit me like a missile on my left hand that was just hoovering outside the cage. Of course made me bleed and actually caused a bruise over the next week, but like all my other bites I had no damage. I sent him a picture of my bloody hand and he flipped and said something like "See! Told Ya!" I just laughed because I know that if you keep snakes long enough you are going to get tagged and having been tagged many many times I was not worried about it. So in the end I got a beautiful snake for free that was one on my list of wanting. It was only win win for me.

    Out of the snakes I have owned only my big Blood, Carpet, and ETB have not tagged me......well and my new Boa but she is in shed and settling in so I have not done much with her. All the others, including my Ball, have tagged me at some point. For snake bite pics check my gallery. I have a few before and after rinsing pics to show how bad they may look but how little damage is actually done.
    Last edited by KMG; 05-11-2021 at 05:39 PM.
    KMG
    0.1 BP
    1.1 Blood Python
    1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
    1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa
    0.1 Dumeril Boa
    0.1 Carpet Python
    0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake
    1.0 Western Hognose

    0.1 Olde English Bulldogge
    1.0 Pit Bull

  5. #14
    Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    14,805
    Thanks
    20,689
    Thanked 12,819 Times in 8,047 Posts

    Re: Why do some people return their ball pythons?

    Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    That is how I got my beautiful Dum. My buddy and I went to an expo and he picked her up. I helped him get everything set up and all was good until the snake put on some size. Then he started telling me "it comes at me!" I tried to explain he was dealing with a hungry Boa but it didn't matter. Before long he started asking if I knew somebody that wanted it and offered it to me. I told him I was good at the moment. Some more time goes by and he was ready to flat out give her away. At that time I said "ok."

    He brought her to me at work and I took her out of the tub right away to check her out. He jumped way back and was visibly afraid of her. This was funny because he is a big ol' corn feed country boy you would think could handle a 4.5 ft Ground Boa. I handled her a bit and then put her back in the tub without issue. I had her for awhile and then one night when I was giving her water she tagged me GOOD! Hit me like a missile on my left hand that was just hoovering outside the cage. Of course made me bleed and actually caused a bruise over the next week, but like all my other bites I had no damage. I sent him a picture of my bloody hand and he flipped and said something like "See! Told Ya!" I just laughed because I know that if you keep snakes long enough you are going to get tagged and having been tagged many many times I was not worried about it. So in the end I got a beautiful snake for free that was one on my list of wanting. It was only win win for me.

    Out of the snakes I have owned only my big Blood, Carpet, and ETB have not tagged me......well and my new Boa but she is in shed and settling in so I have not done much with her. All the others, including my Ball, have tagged me at some point. For snake bite pics check my gallery. I have a few before and after rinsing pics to show how bad they may look but how little damage is actually done.
    Nice pick-up- I've always loved Dums!

    And for sure, getting tagged by pet snakes just goes with the territory. Mostly avoidable and rarely any concern, but if you keep dogs, you get nipped in play or scratched...if you have a cat, same thing; if you have a bird, they can take a chunk out of your hand, & horses, heck they can just kill you accidentally, or step on your foot, or nibble your fingers (oops, sorry, yuck-yuck). Nearly all other pets do FAR more damage than snake teeth, but it doesn't take much before most people's nerves to turn to Jello over a few little snake teeth in their hand. More snakes for us, KMG!
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

    GoingPostal (05-11-2021),hihit (05-11-2021),KMG (05-11-2021)

  7. #15
    Registered User hihit's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-07-2021
    Location
    Long Island, NY; moving soon to Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 18 Times in 12 Posts

    Re: Why do some people return their ball pythons?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Nice pick-up- I've always loved Dums!

    And for sure, getting tagged by pet snakes just goes with the territory. Mostly avoidable and rarely any concern, but if you keep dogs, you get nipped in play or scratched...if you have a cat, same thing; if you have a bird, they can take a chunk out of your hand, & horses, heck they can just kill you accidentally, or step on your foot, or nibble your fingers (oops, sorry, yuck-yuck). Nearly all other pets do FAR more damage than snake teeth, but it doesn't take much before most people's nerves to turn to Jello over a few little snake teeth in their hand. More snakes for us, KMG!
    I was about to say something similar. From what I've heard so far, getting bit by a bp sounds like getting scratched by a cat--relatively minor and largely inevitable if you're around that type of animal for any length of time. It doesn't mean the animal hates you or is aggressive, they just have sharp things on their bodies that they use instinctively.
    Everyone's weird in their own stupid way.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to hihit For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (05-11-2021)

  9. #16
    BPnet Lifer KMG's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-09-2012
    Location
    Tx
    Posts
    5,258
    Thanks
    972
    Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,712 Posts
    Images: 47

    Re: Why do some people return their ball pythons?

    Quote Originally Posted by hihit View Post
    I was about to say something similar. From what I've heard so far, getting bit by a bp sounds like getting scratched by a cat--relatively minor and largely inevitable if you're around that type of animal for any length of time. It doesn't mean the animal hates you or is aggressive, they just have sharp things on their bodies that they use instinctively.
    My Ball tagging was was the least eventful of all my bites. No running blood like my Dum, GTB, or Bloods. My BRB was not bad either. The one I hope I never get trashed by is the ETB. She's got some teeth!
    KMG
    0.1 BP
    1.1 Blood Python
    1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
    1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa
    0.1 Dumeril Boa
    0.1 Carpet Python
    0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake
    1.0 Western Hognose

    0.1 Olde English Bulldogge
    1.0 Pit Bull

  10. #17
    Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    14,805
    Thanks
    20,689
    Thanked 12,819 Times in 8,047 Posts

    Re: Why do some people return their ball pythons?

    Quote Originally Posted by hihit View Post
    I was about to say something similar. From what I've heard so far, getting bit by a bp sounds like getting scratched by a cat--relatively minor and largely inevitable if you're around that type of animal for any length of time. It doesn't mean the animal hates you or is aggressive, they just have sharp things on their bodies that they use instinctively.
    Choose a non-venomous snake bite every time, they have FAR fewer germs than cats do. I've never had a snake bite get infected, but sure can't say that about cat scratches.

    If you fail to read what your snake is thinking & get tagged (sooner or later it's bound to happen), definitely don't take it personal. It's an honest mistake on their part, either they're fearful or mistaking you for incoming prey. Nearly all bites are preventable by us, just by paying attention, & giving your snake clues they can relate to about what is coming toward them. Give them your scent by blowing air across your hand in their direction, or by dangling an empty sleeve you've worn near them, or use the sleeve or a snake hook to gently touch them, & give them a moment for their perceptions to "sink in". Everyone's happier that way- they don't enjoy fearing the unknown any more than we would. Never forget that snakes mostly do NOT identify us or anything else just by using their vision -as we generally do!
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

    hihit (05-12-2021),Hugsplox (05-12-2021)

  12. #18
    Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    14,805
    Thanks
    20,689
    Thanked 12,819 Times in 8,047 Posts

    Re: Why do some people return their ball pythons?

    Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    ...The one I hope I never get trashed by is the ETB. She's got some teeth!
    Yeah, I hope your luck holds.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

    KMG (05-11-2021)

  14. #19
    BPnet Lifer KMG's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-09-2012
    Location
    Tx
    Posts
    5,258
    Thanks
    972
    Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,712 Posts
    Images: 47
    I've had some really random bites. I think my body hair got my GTP and BRB to bite me. When I first got my GTP almost every time he was on my arm he would calmly be climbing around and then slowly tag me. Not like he thought it was food but more like he was telling my arm hair to stop tickling him. After awhile I guess he learned it was nothing to worry about because he hasn't done it in a long time. My BRB was only once but very similar.
    KMG
    0.1 BP
    1.1 Blood Python
    1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
    1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa
    0.1 Dumeril Boa
    0.1 Carpet Python
    0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake
    1.0 Western Hognose

    0.1 Olde English Bulldogge
    1.0 Pit Bull

  15. #20
    Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    14,805
    Thanks
    20,689
    Thanked 12,819 Times in 8,047 Posts

    Re: Why do some people return their ball pythons?

    Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    I've had some really random bites. I think my body hair got my GTP and BRB to bite me. When I first got my GTP almost every time he was on my arm he would calmly be climbing around and then slowly tag me. Not like he thought it was food but more like he was telling my arm hair to stop tickling him. After awhile I guess he learned it was nothing to worry about because he hasn't done it in a long time. My BRB was only once but very similar.
    Hmm, if I really thought that I reminded any of my snakes of a rat, I'm not sure I'd be admitting it here?

    (Snake thought-bubble : Furry...but tastes terrible!!! Must remember, must remember...hold out for the good stuff! )
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1