Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,361

3 members and 1,358 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Threaded View

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Why do some people return their ball pythons?

Quote Originally Posted by hihit View Post
    I've been doing tons and tons of research on ball pythons lately and although I've never owned one, I am very convinced that I want one, that I can handle the care requirements, that a ball python would make a good pet for me, etc. etc.

However, I of course keep hearing stories of people who receive their first ball python only to return it shortly after. I don't want to be one of those people. I would feel very guilty if I had to give up an animal for any reason. I know someone who had to give up a recently-adopted cat and it was super rough on her. I think the cat-human bond is typically stronger than the bp-human bond, but I still imagine myself being heartbroken in that type of situation.

So...what are the reasons some newbies give up their ball pythons? One story I hear pretty often is that they didn't do their research on how to care for the animal, and then they got overwhelmed when they couldn't care for the animal properly. I've also heard of people who thought the snake was aggressive/bad-tempered when really the poor thing was just stressed due to some husbandry issue. But I've done my research, and having done so much research, I doubt my husbandry will be too far off when the time comes--and I've also heard stories of people who did their research beforehand, did everything correctly, yet simply decided that keeping a ball python wasn't right for them after they got one. I guess I'm wondering what about having a ball python wasn't right for them? And how do I know if I'll turn out to be one of those people?
    The same reason(s) why anyone gives up a dog, cat, bunny, pet rat, hamster, and I keep or kept all of these plus reptiles. In the rescue world, it's not uncommon to find surrendered or abandoned dogs due to age, illness or behavior issues (Usually for the puppies growing out of the cute stage). Cats are surrendered because mainly of litterbox issues like peeing on furniture, which can be treated medically (ie urinary disease) or addressing the behavior/stress from the environment. Hamsters are given up usually due to lack of the child's interest and the parent don't want to clean the cage anymore. Bunnies are dumped in parks because they chew, can get aggressive during puberty stage (That's why neutering/spaying is so important for buns), poops a lot.

In light of all the above, the most common reason that encompasses them all including pet reptiles is life changes, like moving. Some people are forced to give up their pets, while others really don't want to put in the effort to find a pet friendly place to live.

So if you really want to know to prevent what can potentially happen to you, it is to find a permanent, long term place to live where you won't be harassed or forced to give up your pet(s). Being a homeowner helps greatly but not everyone can find affordable housing nowadays, it should be a goal to strive for. Settle down with a job or career that does more than living from paycheck to paycheck. That means finishing school (if you haven't), learn how to budget for personal and pet emergencies, and stay focused on your goals.

Pets of all species are not a right to own. If you can't take care of yourself, don't get one. Ball pythons or not. And specifically for ball pythons, if you are not willing to feed it live (if you have to) or do the work, don't bother. I don't recommend anyone who is a stressful worrier to get one. Go for something more relaxing to care for, like a rat snake. Keep in mind, just because you can have one doesn't mean you should. Take care of yourself first, and the rest will happen when it's time.
    Last edited by Cheesenugget; 05-12-2021 at 12:25 AM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-12-2021),hihit (05-12-2021),Hugsplox (05-12-2021),Spicey (05-12-2021),TofuTofuTofu (05-12-2021)