Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,900

0 members and 2,900 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Long Island, NY; moving soon to Gainesville, FL
    Thanks

Question Why do some people return their ball pythons?

I've been doing tons and tons of research on ball pythons lately and although I've never owned one, I am very convinced that I want one, that I can handle the care requirements, that a ball python would make a good pet for me, etc. etc.

However, I of course keep hearing stories of people who receive their first ball python only to return it shortly after. I don't want to be one of those people. I would feel very guilty if I had to give up an animal for any reason. I know someone who had to give up a recently-adopted cat and it was super rough on her. I think the cat-human bond is typically stronger than the bp-human bond, but I still imagine myself being heartbroken in that type of situation.

So...what are the reasons some newbies give up their ball pythons? One story I hear pretty often is that they didn't do their research on how to care for the animal, and then they got overwhelmed when they couldn't care for the animal properly. I've also heard of people who thought the snake was aggressive/bad-tempered when really the poor thing was just stressed due to some husbandry issue. But I've done my research, and having done so much research, I doubt my husbandry will be too far off when the time comes--and I've also heard stories of people who did their research beforehand, did everything correctly, yet simply decided that keeping a ball python wasn't right for them after they got one. I guess I'm wondering what about having a ball python wasn't right for them? And how do I know if I'll turn out to be one of those people?
    Everyone's weird in their own stupid way.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hihit For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (05-15-2021),Bogertophis (05-11-2021)

Thanks

Re: Why do some people return their ball pythons?

Never heard of anyone giving up their ball python. I think in the pet trade in general people make impulse buys without thinking it through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BallsRus

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bertoxvx For This Useful Post:

BeansTheDerp (05-11-2021)

Thanks

I've heard stories like this too, sometimes there is an issue, sometimes there is a gender identification that was mistaken, and sometimes people just want to the snake to impress someone or to do a photoshoot so they can look cool. I wish people would take the responsibility.... and let me tell you, be prepared for mistakes when you get your ball python, sometimes things work good but then you get the snake and something breaks or doesn't work and you need a new one. but remember that we'll be here to help you if you need it, and I'm really happy to see more right minded people getting into the snake community, ball python's are really fun and I know mine has surprised me in many ways, good and bad, the bad being the incident when he forgot humans weren't bathrooms.
    Be kind, and inspire others to be kind.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BeansTheDerp For This Useful Post:

hihit (05-11-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

I think impulse purchases are one of the big problems. People see a BP in a shop, no research, purchase a "snake kit" and head home only to find the snake won't eat, they have a bad shed, they don't come out during the day, etc etc. So they return it or rehome it because the snake isn't what they thought it would be.

I'm a huge advocate of local, small, reptile stores, with educated employees who can educate a potential keeper. Education on the front end, in my opinion, is what fixes most issues on the back end.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (05-15-2021),Bogertophis (05-11-2021),hihit (05-11-2021),nikkubus (07-14-2021)

Thanks

Hi, Nice avatar,

I think the main reason is poor research or bad advice to get a quick sale, leading to the new buyer not providing the right environment so the snake wont feed or has problems that overwhelm the new keeper..
    Last edited by Ascended; 05-11-2021 at 04:27 PM.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ascended For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (05-15-2021),Bogertophis (05-11-2021),hihit (05-11-2021),nikkubus (07-14-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BeansTheDerp View Post
    and let me tell you, be prepared for mistakes when you get your ball python, sometimes things work good but then you get the snake and something breaks or doesn't work and you need a new one.
    I definitely expect to make some beginner mistakes lol, just like with any new thing. But I hope with the amount of research I've been doing that those mistakes won't be too severe and that I'll be able to correct them when they happen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Nice avatar
    It took me a few tries over the past few minutes to get the cropping right on the image lol. I'm not sure which version of it you saw, but I think what I have currently is as good as it's going to get.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    I bought my Ball from a family that bought it for their kid. Their kid quickly lost interest so they sold it. I think many times people buy a snake for the cool factor and think it is going to be something more than it is. They buy it and then realize they bought a pet rock that likes to hide most of the time during regular human hours.

So as long as you do not mind a pet that is not excited to see you and hides from you most of the time you should be alright.

Second I think people get into it and like you said didn't do their research. Then they realize they need more equipment and don't have the means or just don't want to do things right so they get rid of it.

I bought a Central American Boa recently and the seller told me he refused to sell to several people that were asking questions that clearly showed they knew nothing about the snake or snakes in general. He liked that I could easily show I knew what it needed by asking all the right questions so I was the lucky one that got her. Not all sellers would do that.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (05-15-2021),Bogertophis (05-11-2021),GoingPostal (05-11-2021),hihit (05-11-2021),Hugsplox (05-12-2021),jmcrook (05-11-2021),nikkubus (07-14-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hihit View Post
    I definitely expect to make some beginner mistakes lol, just like with any new thing. But I hope with the amount of research I've been doing that those mistakes won't be too severe and that I'll be able to correct them when they happen.
    It is not a bad idea to buy the setup and get it all squared away before you get a snake. Anytime I have a new setup I try to give it a few days to get it dialed in. Then you can just add the snake when you get it.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (05-15-2021),Bogertophis (05-11-2021),hihit (05-11-2021),nikkubus (07-14-2021),starfire (05-17-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hihit View Post
    This is a good place to ask any questions you have and research, and to solve any problems you come across by asking.
    its helped me

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast